Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

12 hours ago, Keegan said:

Just assuming but I'd guess he wants to keep his cards tight for now.  If he attends the friendly then it'll be an awkward position if he's called to a potentially cap tying camp in September and he's not ready to commit.   

Turning it down would look a bit weird if he doesn't have an injury/recovery related reason not to, specifically because he has been so dedicated.

9 hours ago, Coramoor said:

Turning it down would look a bit weird if he doesn't have an injury/recovery related reason not to, specifically because he has been so dedicated.

Not really, Fraser Aird attended u20 camps before he was committed to our MNT.  

4 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Aird was also committed long before people knew he was. He had already filed his switch papers and then wasn't called to the next few senior camps. 

That's true but I'm talking back in 2013.  Aird was called to a u20 camp in May but turned down the Gold Cup call next month.

11 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Not really. He was commited to our MNT when he attended U20 camps because he used his one-time switch.

No he wasn't because he didn't need to use his switch to play for our u20s in a friendly camp.  Fraser never actually played for our youth in a camp where he would have needed to switch.  

After Fraser played for our U20s he himself said he still hadn't made his mind up, implying there wasn't a switch:

He is buddies with Bustos, that is a good sign.

In this article, http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/05/12/canada-youth-international-fikayo-tomori-turning-heads-chelsea-fc

it says:

'Gale plans to call Tomori into the Canadian U-20 squad later this month, for a training camp and pair of friendlies in Costa Rica.'

that will show us if he is wanting to play for us.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

Let's not let 1 player taint is forever in fear.   I'm done with the fearmongering.  Look how many players have chosen to play for us in the past 3 years.  It's a different era.

I agree. Just pointing out a fact about a former youth captain who turned his back on us.

Things aren't always as they seem..

Think about this scenario: Gale contacts Tomori, tells him he doesn't need to commit to us but he'll be a key part of our U20 side and the captain... Remember both Gale and Tomori are young and trying to get ahead.  Not to say Tomori won't commit to us eventually but surely it's too soon for a guy who has basically zero ties to Canada?  We've seen guys with far tighter ties ditch us.

Half joking when I say that the CSA should be looking to MLSE and their Drake connection to help with young commits.  

Edited by Keegan

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

I see we've entered the "endless speculation that he's going to leave us" phase of the thread. 

I don't think it's speculation, it must be fact to a reasonable person.  The guy has no memories or affiliation to our country aside from his birth.  This isn't hockey and he is eligible for two teams that are consistently in major tournaments.  Just ask yourself a) Could you really blame him for keeping his options open?  and b ) if one of England/Nigeria come calling do you think he is turning it down?  

I think it's highly likely that Canada is 3rd on his list.

still, he is nowhere near England's radar right now- they have at least 10 better prospects than him at the same age and position. I don't know about Nigeria, but they have a limited window to get him involved. He's involved in our program and by all accounts enjoys playing with us. 

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I don't think it's speculation, it must be fact to a reasonable person.  The guy has no memories or affiliation to our country aside from his birth.  This isn't hockey and he is eligible for two teams that are consistently in major tournaments.  Just ask yourself a) Could you really blame him for keeping his options open?  and b ) if one of England/Nigeria come calling do you think he is turning it down?  

It was just a joke. Every thread about a promising player goes into this conversation at some point. Soon we'll enter the "screw it we don't need him anyway" phase. Followed by a sprinkling of the always fun "we only want people who are proud to wear the maple leaf. CANADURRRR!!!!!" Phase. Then the "oh my god he's playing for the first team! Please please please play for us" phase. 

Also so sprinkle in some over analysis of some interview where he talks about his nationality and you basically have the story of this thread for the next year or so  

18 hours ago, Floortom said:

I think it's highly likely that Canada is 3rd on his list.

still, he is nowhere near England's radar right now- they have at least 10 better prospects than him at the same age and position. I don't know about Nigeria, but they have a limited window to get him involved. He's involved in our program and by all accounts enjoys playing with us. 

He's come on in the second half now and has looked pretty good against Leicester.

England, a country that doesn't produce anywhere close to the volume of great players when compared to their major international rivals, a country whose top flight pretty much ignores young domestic talent has at least 10 better prospects? What are their names, the clubs they play for and how many first team appearances have they had? 

Edited by Macksam

Tomori played right-back, wasn't challenged much, but showed good recovery speed and passing. A very small sample size, but I'd love to see him get a start against Uzbekistan. He showed more ability that Ledgerwood, Henry (out of position), and Aird (talented, but inexperienced). 

25 minutes ago, Macksam said:

He's come on in the second half now and has looked pretty good against Leicester.

England, a country that doesn't produce anywhere close to the volume of great players when compared to their major international rivals, a country whose top flight pretty much ignores young domestic talent has at least 10 better prospects? What are their names, the clubs they play for and how many first team appearances have they had? 

Well look at the last few England U-19 squads. There are numerous defenders the same age or younger who have more EPL experience than Tomori. Also Tomori has never been called into any England squad / camp so I think it's fair to say he isn't in the mix right now.

also, I talked about Tomori with some Chelesea fans and while they liked him as a prospect none thought that he would realistically be a National team fixture by any means. They all thought Nigeria, or even Canada, would be more likely