Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I dont think calling the youngsters needs to interfere with qualifying.  Leave Bekker and Osorio at home, call Tomori and Bustos.  Chances are none of them will play, but at least they might be a bit more prepared next time the call comes.  Look at James, he did a nice job for us, but I never thought he would see the pitch.  He was in 2-3 camps before he actually saw the field.  He was a bit more prepared to make his debut.  Call a couple youngsters for this upcoming friendlies and the next round, It will pay off if we can reach the HEX.  

We're already leaving Bekker and Osorio at home. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I dont think calling the youngsters needs to interfere with qualifying.  Leave Bekker and Osorio at home, call Tomori and Bustos.  Chances are none of them will play, but at least they might be a bit more prepared next time the call comes.  Look at James, he did a nice job for us, but I never thought he would see the pitch.  He was in 2-3 camps before he actually saw the field.  He was a bit more prepared to make his debut.  Call a couple youngsters for this upcoming friendlies and the next round, It will pay off if we can reach the HEX.  

Based on his play so far this year I think Bekker is making a case to be our starting DMid alongside Johnson. With all the talk of why didn't Floro call/start mediocre X player possibly Floro's biggest player selection mistake was not calling Bekker though to be fair he hadn't seen how Bekker was going to play this year. JDG is getting less and less effective and not that it would have changed the result in the end but I suspect Bekker would have done better in the DMid role than JDG did.

22 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Based on his play so far this year I think Bekker is making a case to be our starting DMid alongside Johnson. With all the talk of why didn't Floro call/start mediocre X player possibly Floro's biggest player selection mistake was not calling Bekker though to be fair he hadn't seen how Bekker was going to play this year. JDG is getting less and less effective and not that it would have changed the result in the end but I suspect Bekker would have done better in the DMid role than JDG did.

Do you think Bekker could replace the role Piette has been playing by June? (the last 15-30 minutes instead JDG)

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Do you think Bekker could replace the role Piette has been playing by June? (the last 15-30 minutes instead JDG)

I see him more as a replacement for JDG. I think as far a being a sub, you would put him on if we needed a goal and put on Piette if we are defending a lead. 

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Hate to nitpick, but we play a 4-1-4-1 and JDG and Johnson are actually central attacking mids that press high in front of Atiba.

Yes you are right about that, I have been thinking of him in the formation that Montreal uses. However, I think he has a lot more offensive ability than JDG so if anything he would be even more suited to this formation. Now Floro is a conservative coach and I suspect he will prefer to rely on a veteran presence like JDG until it is clear the alternative is better and possibly he is correct to do this. But if Bekker continues to play like he has that is what I would do especially as JDG's play has been pretty mediocre recently and he seems to be on the decline.

I agree, Bekker would seem well suited to play that position in that formation - perhaps more so than Julian. Unfortunately i doubt Bekker will even beat out Piette as 60' sub for JDG, he just doesn't play in a high profile league like the Spanish Tercera [/sarcasm]

18 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I agree, Bekker would seem well suited to play that position in that formation - perhaps more so than Julian. Unfortunately i doubt Bekker will even beat out Piette as 60' sub for JDG, he just doesn't play in a high profile league like the Spanish Tercera [/sarcasm]

Piette's playing occasionally at Racing de Ferrol at the top of the Segunda division B isn't he? That's not too bad. Anyway, I like them both, preferring Bekker as you say offensively and Piette in a defensive role.

Edited by rightback
wrong division

26 minutes ago, rightback said:

Piette's playing occasionally at Racing de Ferrol at the top of the Segunda division B isn't he? That's not too bad. .

He was originally loaned to Racing de Ferrol for the entire 2015-16 campaign, but the loan ended a few months ago. He was mostly used as a sub, very few starts, although very rarely was he an unused sub. In the few games I watched, I thought the competition was around the USL level, although I'm sure it's "the greatest third division on the planet"

Thought I had read that neither Deportivo nor Piette were happy with the playing time he was receiving in Ferrol. That and the promotion struggle that Deportivo B were in contributed to the loan being ended early. Can't seem to find it though so maybe I'm imagining this.

On 2016-04-20 at 8:57 PM, Floortom said:

Regardless of the cynical cap-tie angle, Tomori is good enough to be legitimately called up to the squad based on what I've seen from him. 

I agree nobody at all saw James as a starting CB and he did incredibly well, away in azteca vs the concacaf kings! Is Tomori our #1 CB, no. At same time, I can't see Tomori being that far behind our current CB pool. Talent can develop fast in the correct situations.  With that being said, in 4 years, at age 22, in 2020, could Tomori be our #1 CB, possibly. IMO if he is called, it would be based on merit. The only excuse really is maybe his age or the fact he has 0 experience with this current WCQ cycle. Super unfortunate we did not make copa america. I believe it would be foolish not to call him in the next 12 months to at least training with the senior squad.

Edited by apbsmith

Get a special mention from Chelsea's Technical Director in this interview.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/7097054/Chelsea-director-Michael-Emenalo-blasts-Spurs-Harry-Kane-is-only-key-player-they-have-truly-produced.html

And Emenalo urged everyone involved to have faith in a system which will see them mature at 21 or 22.

“Christensen will be a superb player,” he said. “I see on a regular basis that Jake Clarke-Salter and Fikayo Tomori are going to be outstanding players.

“They are young and I don’t know if they decide to get fat. There’s nothing I can do about that. If they continue the way that they are, they will make it because they have great talent, there’s no doubt about that.

“There is a co-ordinated effort from everybody to want to make this happen. Not just because it feels good, and it is nice to have a backbone the fans can relate to and support.

On April 20, 2016 at 3:35 PM, jpg75 said:

Hate to nitpick, but we play a 4-1-4-1 and JDG and Johnson are actually central attacking mids that press high in front of Atiba.

I would hate to nitpick but they are not attacking midfielders. They are just regular midfielders. The only players who could be attacking midfielders would be those who play on the flanks for our team but even that is a stretch.

18 hours ago, apbsmith said:

IMO if he is called, it would be based on merit. The only excuse really is maybe his age or the fact he has 0 experience with this current WCQ cycle. Super unfortunate we did not make copa america. I believe it would be foolish not to call him in the next 12 months to at least training with the senior squad.

Or zero matches as a professional... 

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

I would hate to nitpick but they are not attacking midfielders. They are just regular midfielders. The only players who could be attacking midfielders would be those who play on the flanks for our team but even that is a stretch.

In a 4-1-4-1 the 4 mids in front of the single holding mid are all attacking mids. Floro bastardizes it with non-attacking players, but the name of the position is still (right/left) central attacking midfielder.

This differs from a Dutch 4-3-3 where the wingers are more advanced and those attacking mids are considered only "regular" left or right (they are drifted to the flanks slightly to create passing triangles).

That's why i told Grizzly that Bekker is better suited for that position than JDG, he's better offensively at this stage in both their careers.

Edited by jpg75

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

In a 4-1-4-1 the 4 mids in front of the single holding mid are all attacking mids. Floro bastardizes it with non-attacking players, but the name of the position is still (right/left) central attacking midfielder.

This differs from a Dutch 4-3-3 where the wingers are more advanced and those attacking mids are considered only "regular" left or right (they are drifted to the flanks slightly to create passing triangles).

That's why i told Grizzly that Bekker is better suited for that position than JDG, he's better offensively at this stage in both their careers.

Actually in a 4-1-4-1 formation the 4 midfielders are the central midfielders (just because they have the ability to attack it does not mean they are attacking midfielders) while the one back is the defensive midfielder. It is unheard of to have 4 attacking midfielders. 

8 minutes ago, canta15 said:

What team uses 4 attacking midfielders? (Wingers don't count as attacking midfielders) Johnson and De Guzman are box to box midfielders not attacking minded players.

Do you know who isn't on a team that uses 4 attacking midfielders nor is a box to box midfielder? Fikayo Tomori, who, coincidentally, this thread is supposed to be about.

37 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Do you know who isn't on a team that uses 4 attacking midfielders nor is a box to box midfielder? Fikayo Tomori, who, coincidentally, this thread is supposed to be about.

Sorry just trying to prove a point.

Edit: No one is on a team with 4 attacking mids...

Edited by Guest