Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

41 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

Here is Frances 2013 u20 WC winning squad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup_squads#.C2.A0France

2 in the current senior team - 3 if you count Zouma.

The point is well taken, though half that team is still eligible for u-23. So give it a few years.

Meaning, what did I post? That Tomori and the starting 11 were likely to be brought into their Olympic qualilfying squad in the next year or two, and demand a higher level of play. You are arguing that if a player is not a national team player by 23 he should give up and change countries? Don't think so.

Of the Spain u-20 winner in Nigeria '99, there were maybe 4-5 who became regular players for the national team, like Xavi, Marchena, Casillas, Gabri. So I get your point, things can change. The leading scorer was Couñago who spent the best of his career in the Championship, at Ipswich, and was not called to the senior squad ever. 

It's Tomori's to lose, playing for England in the next 5 years. 

Demand a higher level play? They can't demand anything. Either they perform or they don't. None of these guys are getting into the u23 team if they aren't playing on a first team on a regular basis. You think Tomori will be in Chelsea's First Team? I'd be stunned. They'll loan him to another EPL or Championship team, which of course may be deemed good enough for the u23's though, I suppose.

I am arguing age 23? Actually I quite clearly said age 24-25 ;) That may be a bit ambitious considering the u23 tournament - you are right - these guys are now on the depth chart for that tournament, possibly at the top of it. So I'll revise my prediction to "age 26" he will be playing for Canada. 

Smalling, Cahill, Jones, Stones, Tuanzebe, Keane, Jagielka, Eric Dier (can play CB), even Fosu-Mensah (though he is typically a CDM or full back). 

Tomori's to lose? Actually, he has to take it, earn it, win it. Not one of these kids will be gifted the senior team. Look how well Alli and Kane had to perform to get ahead of the incumbents. Counago is the perfect example, just the 4 or so from Spains u20 winning team is another example, just the 2-3 guys from Frances winning team moved on. 

Edited by ThiKu

18 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

Demand a higher level play? They can't demand anything. Either they perform or they don't. None of these guys are getting into the u23 team if they aren't playing on a first team on a regular basis. You think Tomori will be in Chelsea's First Team? I'd be stunned. They'll loan him to another EPL or Championship team, which of course may be deemed good enough for the u23's though, I suppose.

I am arguing age 23? Actually I quite clearly said age 24-25 ;) That may be a bit ambitious considering the u23 tournament - you are right - these guys are now on the depth chart for that tournament, possibly at the top of it. So I'll revise my prediction to "age 26" he will be playing for Canada. 

Smalling, Cahill, Jones, Stones, Tuanzebe, Keane, Jagielka, Eric Dier (can play CB), even Fosu-Mensah (though he is typically a CDM or full back). 

Tomori's to lose? Actually, he has to take it, earn it, win it. Not one of these kids will be gifted the senior team. Look how well Alli and Kane had to perform to get ahead of the incumbents. Counago is the perfect example, just the 4 or so from Spains u20 winning team is another example, just the 2-3 guys from Frances winning team moved on. 

Hes dutch and ghanian, but id add Rob Holding, Callum Chambers, and Shawcross to that list as well

Edited by Fastfeet2

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point is well taken, though half that team is still eligible for u-23. So give it a few years.

Meaning, what did I post? That Tomori and the starting 11 were likely to be brought into their Olympic qualilfying squad in the next year or two, and demand a higher level of play. You are arguing that if a player is not a national team player by 23 he should give up and change countries? Don't think so.

Of the Spain u-20 winner in Nigeria '99, there were maybe 4-5 who became regular players for the national team, like Xavi, Marchena, Casillas, Gabri. So I get your point, things can change. The leading scorer was Couñago who spent the best of his career in the Championship, at Ipswich, and was not called to the senior squad ever. 

It's Tomori's to lose, playing for England in the next 5 years. 

Man counago was awesome when he was on it. Shame he never pulled it together more

8 hours ago, Brethers8 said:

Man counago was awesome when he was on it. Shame he never pulled it together more

You might have seen on update posts, Counago is still playing at for a team in 4th tier that played against Misik and Aparicio's team in Spain. He's about to turn 38....

Any NT with a decent league has a huge pool to draw from, and it is harder to break in, you have to be top of the tops and even then, great players are left out. That only happens with Canada if we screw up and stupidly lose talent due to bickering and such.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You might have seen on update posts, Counago is still playing at for a team in 4th tier that played against Misik and Aparicio's team in Spain. He's about to turn 38....

Any NT with a decent league has a huge pool to draw from, and it is harder to break in, you have to be top of the tops and even then, great players are left out. That only happens with Canada if we screw up and stupidly lose talent due to bickering and such.

Yeah I saw that, good on him for still doing what he enjoys

5 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

@Brethers8 you know, great talent but man was he lazy.

I saw him driving his Porsche through town once. Everyone I knew loved him, still remember his injury time winner against Coventry after they scored a late goal (like after the 4 mins of stoppages) to equalise. Happened right in front of me and it was awesome

On 06/13/2017 at 5:42 PM, Brethers8 said:

I saw him driving his Porsche through town once. Everyone I knew loved him, still remember his injury time winner against Coventry after they scored a late goal (like after the 4 mins of stoppages) to equalise. Happened right in front of me and it was awesome

Still one of my favourite Town players... TWTD!

On June 12, 2017 at 1:49 AM, ThiKu said:

Here is Frances 2013 u20 WC winning squad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_FIFA_U-20_World_Cup_squads#.C2.A0France

2 in the current senior team - 3 if you count Zouma.

France right now has the most depth out of any team in Europe and is arguably the hardest national team to make right now, especially when you look at the history and how a young Aubamayeng and a young Drogba opted to join their countries of ancestral origin (probably because they thought they wouldn't make France). I look at that list and Pogba, Digne, Thauvin, Kongdogbia, Umtiti, Zouma, Lemina and arguably Areola would all be starting for the senior England team.

Then again, France's youth development system is miles a head of England so it really doesn't say much about England's U 20 team when it comes to who on France's U 20 team would make it on England's senior team. 

Edited by Macksam

On 6/13/2017 at 5:42 AM, Brethers8 said:

Yeah I saw that, good on him for still doing what he enjoys

Only recently was watching him play for PK-35 in the Finnish league. He was there because another former Ipswich player was the manager, Shefki Kuqi.

Talking about the 99 World u-20, was looking at what players are still active, or were until recently, on a high level (Couñago is playing 4th tier, semi pro, for pure pleasure). 

The highest level player still active is Casillas, then Cambiasso at Olympiacos, and Rafa Márquez. Another is Keita, though he's just gone to Qatar. Robbie Keane until last year. Roque Santa Cruz is still active, back in Paraguay. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Talking about the 99 World u-20, was looking at what players are still active, or were until recently, on a high level (Couñago is playing 4th tier, semi pro, for pure pleasure). 

The highest level player still active is Casillas, then Cambiasso at Olympiacos, and Rafa Márquez. Another is Keita, though he's just gone to Qatar. Robbie Keane until last year. Roque Santa Cruz is still active, back in Paraguay. 

I always liked Cambiasso. Scored one of the greatest goals in World Cup 2006. He was on the Champion's League winning Inter team back in 2010 IIRC.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:18 PM, Macksam said:

France right now has the most depth out of any team in Europe and is arguably the hardest national team to make right now, especially when you look at the history and how a young Aubamayeng and a young Drogba opted to join their countries of ancestral origin (probably because they thought they wouldn't make France). I look at that list and Pogba, Digne, Thauvin, Kongdogbia, Umtiti, Zouma, Lemina and arguably Areola would all be starting for the senior England team.

Then again, France's youth development system is miles a head of England so it really doesn't say much about England's U 20 team when it comes to who on France's U 20 team would make it on England's senior team. 

keep telling yourself that.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, johnyb said:

I wanted to like your post....but then realized this is probably bad for us.

So he cracked the first team!? Wow, that's crazy. Considering how rare it is to see a 19 year old Centre-Back in the EPL. 

Also the fact that professionally he only has 9 games of experience, in the Championship with Brighton Hove & Alvion 

i honestly expected him to get loaned out, I guess they wanna keep him around

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Complete Homer said:

Really? He's so young and has worked himself into a great situation. I don't think he'd consider playing for Canada for years. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

If he doesn't get called up for the World Cup next year and maybe euros, I believe Canada has a great chance at getting Tomori 

Just now, Club Linesman said:

Now we need Oz to figure out how to convince Tomori that his international future lies with Canada and playing a major part on a mid level squad for the next decade. 

It was either bump his thread or let you guys derail the Ferreira thread.

The U20 World Cup is won, so the natural progression is...

Tomori has been called to the England "U21"(U23) squad for games vs The Netherlands (away) and Latvia (home).

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/aug/24/england-u21s-squad-netherlands-latvia-uefa-qualifiers-240817

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_4

Anybody who thinks Tomori will switch to Canada at some point is a foolish dreamer (myself included). Anybody who thinks he will switch when he can still get U21 calls for England is just being an idiot.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

17 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It was either bump his thread or let you guys derail the Ferreira thread.

The U20 World Cup is won, so the natural progression is...

Tomori has been called to the England "U21"(U23) squad for games vs The Netherlands (away) and Latvia (home).

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/aug/24/england-u21s-squad-netherlands-latvia-uefa-qualifiers-240817

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_4

Anybody who thinks Tomori will switch to Canada at some point is a foolish dreamer (myself included). Anybody who thinks he will switch when he can still get U21 calls is just being an idiot.

@SpecialK