Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

On 21/05/2017 at 4:16 PM, Macksam said:

I would love nothing more than that but we'll have some posters going all cross eyed while rambling stuff like "Why should  we move the thread? He was born here. Why should we? He's eligible for our national team. Why? We need a Center back....Why? Don't you wanna see us improve? He's eligible....Why? He'll be an upgrade over what we have? Why? We need this...Why? He can come back...Why? Why?"

With the rambling eventually breaking down into inaudible gibberish.

Technically everything on here is inaudible. Seeing as this is a forum for text discussion and all :P

I think the interest in his career right now is more because he played for our youth teams so there is still reasonable thought that he could play for us. Certainly more than others we follow on this board. But we shall see

11 hours ago, king1010 said:

With Montagliani so high up in FIFA he'll be using all his connections to ensure neither of those things happen. 

Well that's worse, because I am still hoping he's not corrupt, but what you are describing sounds a lot like corruption.

8 hours ago, SCF08 said:

Just scored an incredible own goal at the U20 World Cup

Canada's chances just went up a percentage point. :)

Lol - the commentator said it was Guinea's first goal ever in the WC tournament. 

Edited by Moldy9

It makes me sad to hear he's gone. I'm all for rooting for 25-27 year olds to make their one time switch to play for us, it's fun in a sadistic kind of way. But with Tomori, he was a player who could have been a real stud (or at least from what I understand). In any scenario in which he plays for Canada, he will have no lived up to his potential. 

I think in the long run this might turn into another Hoillett situation.

Tomori obviously wants to play at the highest level of professional soccer and the youth international exposure with England will only help with his club experience with Chelsea. There will come a point in time with England where if he wants to get senior international team experience or a world cup his best bet will be with Canada. I think England for the next 10 years is pretty set with CB between Dier, Stones, Smalling, Keane, Jones, Gibson and Cahill is still only 28. Plus I am sure that there is a u21 or 2 that they would current rate higher then him. Someone like Tanuazbe. So I don't believe all is lost.

4 hours ago, top cheese said:

I think in the long run this might turn into another Hoillett situation.

Tomori obviously wants to play at the highest level of professional soccer and the youth international exposure with England will only help with his club experience with Chelsea. There will come a point in time with England where if he wants to get senior international team experience or a world cup his best bet will be with Canada. I think England for the next 10 years is pretty set with CB between Dier, Stones, Smalling, Keane, Jones, Gibson and Cahill is still only 28. Plus I am sure that there is a u21 or 2 that they would current rate higher then him. Someone like Tanuazbe. So I don't believe all is lost.

I think it depends on him flopping at Chelsea. He's 19 and just won the Championship with BnH, where he impressed enough to make fans want him back next year. If he continues at this pace, he'll be a contender for England.

The situation with Tomori sounds a little like the situation between the USMNT and Jeremy Toljan. Hoffenheim's German Olympian has an American father. But his father died when he was little. And his mother is Croatian. And rumors have it that they might not even be able to establish paternity. Given that he is frequently linked to big clubs, he may well be the US-eligible player at the highest level soon. But he'd definitely play for Germany first. And likely Croatia second. 

12 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Tomori part of video replay history

Thing is, it was not the first time, so he's not part of any such history.

In the World Club Cup in Japan last December it was used for a very polemical and in my view dubious penalty, for Kashima Antlers against At Nacional, in the semis. And influenced the result for the home team. 

Can never trust a title of a youtube video. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thing is, it was not the first time, so he's not part of any such history.

In the World Club Cup in Japan last December it was used for a very polemical and in my view dubious penalty, for Kashima Antlers against At Nacional, in the semis. And influenced the result for the home team. 

I'm not sure a penalty can be polemical, Professor. Writings, yes. Ideas, yes. But a penalty... No.

Edited by BCM

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

So is this article saying that if he hadn't played that game against England that he likely wouldn't have been on their radar? That would be pretty unfortunate. 

He was a starting CB for Chelsea's 97s since he was a pre-teen. He wasn't an unknown before that game, it just upped his status enough to get an England call-up.

So very difficult to predict the future. Go look at the World Cup squads from the u20's in Canada. How many from the two finalists are in their senior team?

Having watched just the 1 game of Tomori, and hearing the commentators remarks about him, I predict he'll be playing for Canada around age 24-25.

2 hours ago, ThiKu said:

So very difficult to predict the future. Go look at the World Cup squads from the u20's in Canada. How many from the two finalists are in their senior team?

Having watched just the 1 game of Tomori, and hearing the commentators remarks about him, I predict he'll be playing for Canada around age 24-25.

what were their remarks

Don't you understand he'll be in the u-23 side for Olympic qualifying for sure (actually think its the Euros u-22 championship)? For England?

Or that if they have a friendly and a few injuries they'll go about cap-tying him and a few others?

Or that pretty well, any of these u-20 winners, has to have first team play, that Chelsea will have to either guarantee he'll move up with the 1st team, raising the salary significantly, or loan him out to a quality team?

I'm amazed some seriously think he's an iffy prospect for England because of what a few tv announcers had to say, starting 11 u-20 winner for England for 1st time. Or that backpass own-goal. 

But hey, look at this thread: a few months ago there were geniuses on this board saying he wasn't even amongst the top half dozen u-20s in his position for England.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't you understand he'll be in the u-23 side for Olympic qualifying for sure (actually think its the Euros u-22 championship)? For England?

Or that if they have a friendly and a few injuries they'll go about cap-tying him and a few others?

Or that pretty well, any of these u-20 winners, has to have first team play, that Chelsea will have to either guarantee he'll move up with the 1st team, raising the salary significantly, or loan him out to a quality team?

I'm amazed some seriously think he's an iffy prospect for England because of what a few tv announcers had to say, starting 11 u-20 winner for England for 1st time. Or that backpass own-goal. 

But hey, look at this thread: a few months ago there were geniuses on this board saying he wasn't even amongst the top half dozen u-20s in his position for England.

save this somewhere.