Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

23 hours ago, red card said:

I still remember the adidas ad for the u20 world cup where he showed his gratefulness for Canada for accepting his family. So, in terms of Canadian traitor rankings where Whoregreaves is #1, Begovic is in top 3 at least.

This was the piece that did it for me.  Canadian flag in the background, Bego jumping on his bed praising Canada while weeping some strange mixture of maple syrup and Tim Hortons coffee.  Or something like that. Its possible I don't have the details exactly right.  Either way - asshole.

I watched the replay of this match today, Tomori was quite good! On a sidenote, this was the 1st time I have seen Referee Video Review, Tomori took an elbow to the head by the Argentine forward and he carried on and the ball almost ended up in the England net, while Tomori was down for treatment the ref had a look at a replay and correctly sent the Argentine off! I wonder if this would be effective in CONCACAF where some of our opponents are masters as disguising viscious fouls like this? 

31 minutes ago, gator said:

I watched the replay of this match today, Tomori was quite good! On a sidenote, this was the 1st time I have seen Referee Video Review, Tomori took an elbow to the head by the Argentine forward and he carried on and the ball almost ended up in the England net, while Tomori was down for treatment the ref had a look at a replay and correctly sent the Argentine off! I wonder if this would be effective in CONCACAF where some of our opponents are masters as disguising viscious fouls like this? 

1000%, it is the only way forward.  Cut that out of the game and watch the number of fans grow.  

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎15 at 0:33 AM, Ngravs9 said:

Canada is like that low self esteem boy friend that just got dumped by a good looking girl because she wants to test out the waters, she then realizes she can't do much better and comes back. Meanwhile we're there arms wide open cheering her upon her return.. Sad but if he comes back I'd be happy. 

I said it previously in this thread, the implication of him coming back to us is that he'll fail miserably when it comes to living up to his current potential. Now, at the trajectory the Premier league is going with regards to the domestic situation, 30% English and continuously falling (I do expect that number to hit 20% by the end of the decade as even the smaller clubs are pretty much copying the Porto model and advertising themselves as springboard clubs for up and coming foreigners), he has his work cut out for him but I do wish he succeeds at Chelsea, which means no chance for us.

Edited by Macksam

I just saw him when they were 2 up already, Argentina playing very weakly. I did not think he was shining really, I've seen him play better before (youth league matches for Chelsea guess they were, or I forget, European u-20 maybe?)

I think that red was ridiculous, yes, it is a flying elbow, but you can't red all those, they'll be 4 a game, almost every corner has players jumping with arms and elbows too high. Also, because the Argie just threw it, he did not look where it was going. For me, a yellow. 

After all, if England had been down when that elbow had been thrown, he would not have stayed on the ground, he would have gotten up. So I suspect it.

I could really care less about the guy, if he wants to play for England youth a few tournaments, if that makes him happy, all power to him. But leave him off this board.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I could really care less about the guy, if he wants to play for England youth a few tournaments, if that makes him happy, all power to him. But leave him off this board.

I would love nothing more than that but we'll have some posters going all cross eyed while rambling stuff like "Why should  we move the thread? He was born here. Why should we? He's eligible for our national team. Why? We need a Center back....Why? Don't you wanna see us improve? He's eligible....Why? He'll be an upgrade over what we have? Why? We need this...Why? He can come back...Why? Why?"

With the rambling eventually breaking down into inaudible gibberish.

23 hours ago, gator said:

Is there a place to watch replays of the games?

18 hours ago, One American said:

It depends on if Canada is his second choice. It looks like Nigeria is in a down period. So he would need to fail hard, if Nigeria is second choice.  England is harder to tell. 

They are on pace to qualify for their 3rd straight WC, four points clear leading their group of four teams, which include Cameroon and Algeria. They have more players in top clubs / leagues than ever, such as Iwobi (Arsenal), Iheanacho (Man City), Moses (Chelsea), Musa (Leicester City), Ndidi (Leicester City) etc. Most of these guys are very young too.

I don't think any Nigerian would consider their team to be in a down period. The future is very bright indeed. 

Why would he need to fail hard for Nigeria to be a second choice? I don't quite understand that statement.

Edited by Obinna

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They are on pace to qualify for their 3rd straight WC, four points clear leading their group of four teams, which include Cameroon and Algeria. They have more players in top clubs / leagues than ever, such as Iwobi (Arsenal), Iheanacho (Man City), Moses (Chelsea), Musa (Leicester City), Ndidi (Leicester City) etc. Most of these guys are very young too.

I don't think any Nigerian would consider their team to be in a down period. The future is very bright indeed. 

Why would he need to fail hard for Nigeria to be a second choice? I don't quite understand that statement.

I think the point One American tried to get across is that because Nigeria could be his fall back option, he would need to fail hard for Canada to have a chance with him. Yeah, I don't think Nigeria is in a down period either so that program isn't going to lay the carpet for any player that has its country's origins. I think they'll look at him if he becomes a solid prem journeyman and up. If England doesn't call during that period of time, then the Super Eagles will be good for him.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

I think the point One American tried to get across is that because Nigeria could be his fall back option, he would need to fail hard for Canada to have a chance with him. Yeah, I don't think Nigeria is in a down period either so that program isn't going to lay the carpet for any player that has its country's origins. I think they'll look at him if he becomes a solid prem journeyman and up. If England doesn't call during that period of time, then the Super Eagles will be good for him.

Oh okay so his point is that he'd have to fail hard enough that neither England or Nigeria wanted him? 

Nigeria has recently called up two defenders to their program, one of Dutch decent (I think he plays for Gent in Belgium) and one of German decent (plays for Mainz in the Bundesliga), so yes, I think a Nigerian who gets time in the EPL will be on their radar, especially when we are talking defenders, which is the weak point in the team.

Edited by Obinna

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Oh okay so his point is that he'd have to fail hard enough that neither England or Nigeria wanted him? 

Nigeria has recently called up two defenders to their program, one of Dutch decent (I think he plays for Gent in Belgium) and one of German decent (plays for Mainz in the Bundesliga), so yes, I think a Nigerian who gets time in the EPL will be on their radar, especially when we are talking defenders, which is the weak point in the team.

Look for Dominic Iorfa to also be on Nigeria come WC 2018.. similar to Tomori but more experienced.  

I think we have a good shot simply because we can offer Tomori a key position and a guaranteed World Cup in 2026

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Look for Dominic Iorfa to also be on Nigeria come WC 2018.. similar to Tomori but more experienced.  

I think we have a good shot simply because we can offer Tomori a key position and a guaranteed World Cup in 2026

Yup, he would also been in contention I imagine. 

We can offer Tomori a key position in 2026, that's for sure, but a strong showing next (whether that is at Chelsea or elsewhere) could attract Nigeria ahead of Russia 2018. If Tomori wants to play for England and Nigeria visits him and says "look, we can give you the opportunity to play in WC not in 2026, but NOW", I think it's tough for us to compete with that, unfortunately. If Victor Moses and Alex Iwobi spurred England youth ball to play for the Super Eagles, I also think a Tomori switch is possible.

Will he ever play for Canada again? It is looking less and less realistic to me. It is too bad we never cap-tied him at the earliest opportunity. The more time goes on, the less likely he'll ever play for us. Another one bites the dust.

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yes.

And let's be honest here to, does Tomori have a chance of cracking the Chelsea starting 11? Maybe but Probably not despite that one good showing he put on last year for the club. Is that failing hard? Absolutely not. Most likely one of the mid to bottom table Prem teams will do a loan and potential buy deal for him next season. Chelsea is my favourite team but I know full well the club doesn't care about developing players. Even guys in the past that showed tremendous promise like Josh McEachran were never given a proper chance to make it. If he starts killing it at wherever he lands, Tomori could end up back at Chelsea that way.

18 hours ago, jpg75 said:

He apparently really enjoyed his time with our youth teams so i wouldn't be surprised if we're his #2 choice.

This is true.

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

It makes me nervous when people guarantee we will be in the 2026 World Cup when we still haven't yet won the bid and it's not even confirmed we would get in as hosts if our bid does win.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

It makes me nervous when people guarantee we will be in the 2026 World Cup when we still haven't yet won the bid and it's not even confirmed we would get in as hosts if our bid does win.

With Montagliani so high up in FIFA he'll be using all his connections to ensure neither of those things happen.