Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

People give these kids alot of slack, when there are plenty of kids in the real world making more important decisions that this when they are 17.  

There is a great deal of irony in this sentence.

He was in 2 exhibition camps with Canada. How much damage did his inclusion really do? If he had turned down Canada because he always wanted to represent England, or if Canada didn't invite him because he seemed like he might one day choose to play for someone else, then how would that have affected things?

The argument is that someone else would have gotten a shot. Sure, that's true. Who missed their shot that was behind Thomas Meilleur Giguere and Mateo Restrepo for the U18 camp he went to? Or who was next in line behind Thomas Meilleur Giguere (again) and Marko Aleksic for the U20 camp he went to? I'm guessing whoever it was that missed those chances wouldn't have exactly been a lock for future CMNT success.

If he didn't play for us, probably the only difference is that maybe, just maybe, we don't beat England in that friendly. I'm not sure how that would help the development of the other players at the camp.

Its hypocritical to criticize a kid who lived in England his whole life when we have threads here dedicated to who we can poach from other countries. His value as a footballer is much higher with England, any logical person who wants to make money would make the same choice. I'm as patriotic as anyone, but if you have two options, you pick the better option, unforunatley it isnt Canada for Tomori. I dont blame him, just as I didnt blame Hargreaves of Begovic one bit. Hes not burning our flag, he is simply trying to make money and improve his value.

3 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

Its hypocritical to criticize a kid who lived in England his whole life when we have threads here dedicated to who we can poach from other countries. His value as a footballer is much higher with England, any logical person who wants to make money would make the same choice. I'm as patriotic as anyone, but if you have two options, you pick the better option, unforunatley it isnt Canada for Tomori. I dont blame him, just as I didnt blame Hargreaves or Begovic one bit. Hes not burning our flag, he is simply trying to make money and improve his value.

Ehhhh.... Not the same. I don't have any ill will towards Tomori. Hargreaves and Begovic can go to hell :P

Edited by Bertuzzi44

Yup Heargreaves was born and raised in Canada, played all his youth soccer here up until the age of 16 so him turning his back on Canada was a disgrace, Begovic , was not born here but came to Canada in his teens, so did not really spend much time in Canada playing youth soccer so I'm not too upset with him , however, knowing how Canada took his family in it was a bit disrespectful the way he eventually turned his back on Canada. This Tomori player left Canada before he could walk so it's a totally different situation for him can't blame him for picking England.

17 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

Its hypocritical to criticize a kid who lived in England his whole life when we have threads here dedicated to who we can poach from other countries. His value as a footballer is much higher with England, any logical person who wants to make money would make the same choice. I'm as patriotic as anyone, but if you have two options, you pick the better option, unforunatley it isnt Canada for Tomori. I dont blame him, just as I didnt blame Hargreaves of Begovic one bit. Hes not burning our flag, he is simply trying to make money and improve his value.

I agreed with most of what you said right up until you brought up Horegraves. Guy grew up in Calgary, had never lived a day in his life England prior to joining their set up. I remember listing to a radio interview with him while he was still playing for Bayern. His fake English accent was atrocious... all I remember thinking is "you're a whore." 

If you're a kid who's grown up in England, and are doing "the right thing" for your career that's one thing, but gotta draw the line somewhere and gotta have at least some principles in life.

While we're at it, yes Horegraves certainly raised his value as a footballer by playing for England, but he also turned down the chance to be the Milos Raonic of Canadian soccer. What would that have been worth?

Rant over! 

tumblr_o0zyye9OQP1sztyb3o1_1280.jpg

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

I think Hargreaves is a cunt but have no hard feelings for Begovic or Tomori. Sure Canada took in Begovic, but he only left because of the Bosnian War. Bosnia were no footballing superpower when he joined (really still aren't). Guy just truly loved playing for his birth nation.

Oh and De Guzman's bastard of a brother is a cunt too

Of note with Begovic too. I think he got tired of playing in better leagues but still being second fiddle to the usual favourites of the coaches of CanMNT at the time, where as Bosnia offered him the starting position right away.

17 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Of note with Begovic too. I think he got tired of playing in better leagues but still being second fiddle to the usual favourites of the coaches of CanMNT at the time, where as Bosnia offered him the starting position right away.

Wasnt Begovic struggling on a loan in lower leagues before he switched.  He didnt start getting regular premier league starts until Portsmouth was circling the bowl, after he officially switched the previous summer.  But he had already skipped the gold cup that summer, so he probably made his mind up earlier.  But I guess he was behind Hirsch, and Stamatopolous...maybe we should have gone with youth.  

But wouldnt that be like us handing the #1 to Leutwiler......except he is already in his late 20s.  Damn we have no depth.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wasnt Begovic struggling on a loan in lower leagues before he switched.  He didnt start getting regular premier league starts until Portsmouth was circling the bowl, after he officially switched the previous summer.  But he had already skipped the gold cup that summer, so he probably made his mind up earlier.  But I guess he was behind Hirsch, and Stamatopolous...maybe we should have gone with youth.  

But wouldnt that be like us handing the #1 to Leutwiler......except he is already in his late 20s.  Damn we have no depth.  

My timeline is probably mixed up since this is all after the fact.

On 12/05/2017 at 7:27 PM, bwilly11 said:

I don't put Tomori in the same vat of puke that I'd dump Whoregreaves in, but I disagree about what you said about being hypocritical. 

As far as us trying to poach from other countries:  If fictional character Harry Schwartz decides to play hockey for Switzerland because he'd never make the Canadian team, none of us would care.  How many Canadians are going to be in the Olympics playing for both North and South Korea?  

Conversely, England's football team (relatively speaking) has plenty of depth.  They wouldn't miss someone like Tomori.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head for us is Evra.  The players who come to us are usually hand-me-downs.

Edited by SuperCanuck

11 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Wow you guys are soft on Begovic. He spent a good chunk of time in Canada, but what makes his betrayal bad was the fact he was a HUGE part of our youth setup for YEARS. 

Gets a sniff of club success and instantly jumps ship. I consider Begovic a step down for hargreaves, but not much.

I still remember the adidas ad for the u20 world cup where he showed his gratefulness for Canada for accepting his family. So, in terms of Canadian traitor rankings where Whoregreaves is #1, Begovic is in top 3 at least.

3 hours ago, red card said:

I still remember the adidas ad for the u20 world cup where he showed his gratefulness for Canada for accepting his family. So, in terms of Canadian traitor rankings where Whoregreaves is #1, Begovic is in top 3 at least.

Also don't forgot the interview. The dishonesty is what gets me.  Less than two months later he's in a Bosnia kit.

http://fulltimefootballshow.blogspot.ca/2009/07/begovic-i-dont-want-to-switch.html

Canada is like that low self esteem boy friend that just got dumped by a good looking girl because she wants to test out the waters, she then realizes she can't do much better and comes back. Meanwhile we're there arms wide open cheering her upon her return.. Sad but if he comes back I'd be happy. 

You guys are right, I take it back about Begovic and Hargreaves. I forget how angry that made me at the time. Same goes for De Guzman. I remember always talking to my buddy from Rotterdam who was a big fan of young De Guzman, made me proud that a Dutch guy was raving about a Canadian...then he fucks off to the Dutch and ruins everything.

You guys know how to stir the pot haha, fuck those bastards!

Still sympathize with Tomori though, obviously I wish he was ours...but whatever

10 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Yea we've all heard and relate to that analogy, it's come in so many ways on this forum....ugly girl at the dance, prodigal son,  you naaammmee it.

haha jeez I thought I came up with something original.. But i guess it's pretty obvious, hopefully one day when we have a league we won't have to worry about it.