Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

On 4/30/2017 at 3:38 PM, PopePouri said:

If you go three at the back, both Ouimette and Attakora who are hybrid CB/FBs become decent options on either side of the 3. Same with Camara if he commits.

If you go three at the back, you have to put a weak centerback in and take out a player from your stronger area in the front 6. 

11 hours ago, One American said:

If you go three at the back, you have to put a weak centerback in and take out a player from your stronger area in the front 6. 

I agree that our defence has much less quality than our attacking players but at the same time if our defence can never win balls cleanly and control the play and let the midfield get the ball to the attacking group then our quality attacking players will never see the ball. 

I am not saying this is the only strategy we can employ, but as I am also a fan of TFC I saw how great attacking players and a weak defence still results in losses. Only when TFC was able to stabilise the back were they able to win more often. 

13 hours ago, One American said:

There's major issues with CB and RB depth so it doesn't matter who we slide into those position in a 4 man defense. They're going to be makeshift.

Edited by PopePouri

17 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

We can't go back three because Hoilett can't defend for crap and we wouldn't bench him for someone who can.

Ignoring the pedantic argument this could trigger about the depth chart, would you mind something like this?

Biggest drawbacks IMO is using Hoilett in his second best spot and losing out on a formation that compliments two of our most exciting young players (Davies and Tabla). However, I think giving Larin a creative partner while maintaining a cross-heavy offense is our best bet

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=ty8ty2

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Noticed your lineup includes Henry.  Trying to find out where he is with respect to his recovery and couldn't find anything.  Does anyone know when he will be able to resume training?  Is he a possibility for the Gold Cup?

I mostly had him as a placeholder assuming that he will be on his feet by the gold cup. I kept Edgar off

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Well if we played 3 at the back in a 3-5-2 he would be up top so not too much of an issue

I wouldn't want him as a striker. I only see him being an asset for Canada out wide. He isn't a very good finisher.

How does Edwards not get an assist on that first goal last night?  He did all the work and crossed into Altidore who's heavy touch (pass?) went back to Giovinco for the goal.  

I've seen Canadians get screwed quite a bit on assists and it's annoying.  Also, last weekend with Kaka putting in a Larin shot that hit the post.. that's gotta be an assist.  

19 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How does Edwards not get an assist on that first goal last night?  He did all the work and crossed into Altidore who's heavy touch (pass?) went back to Giovinco for the goal.  

I've seen Canadians get screwed quite a bit on assists and it's annoying.  Also, last weekend with Kaka putting in a Larin shot that hit the post.. that's gotta be an assist.  

MLS is really weird with their assists (the second ones at least). I never see any consistency between what they deem an assist, and won't they don't

Even though he played well overall, I thought he put in his weakest shift so far with about three bad first touches and running into traffic once. He looked tired so it's not surprising he got subbed near the end. However, to his defense, he wasn't getting the ball much from his teammates in the second half.

He'd be a good option to have on the bench if his skills can translate to the international level.

Lets hope Edwards can establish himself as an MLS guy with a high ceiling like Larin, Davies and Tabla and not get grouped in with Osorio, Akindele and Teibert - useful players at MLS level that cant seem to make an impact with the national team.

9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I think he's already done enough to group him in with guys like Tabla and Davies. He's just gotta take it to the next level like they need to.

This season he sure has done enough, more the Davies I would argue.  But I think everyone has the higher hopes (ie high ceiling) for Davies and Tabla because they are 3-4 years younger.  Thats not always how it works out and Edwards may be the best of the 3, only time will tell.  I hope in 2026 all three are on our WC team with 30-40 caps under their belt.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

This season he sure has done enough, more the Davies I would argue.  

I would argue that he is part of a much better team, at least at this stage of the season, and that environment may have helped contribute to his progress thus far. 

I agree if there's injury or something it could make things tough but...I mean...come on. Matt Stinson has been called up to this team. This guy has been a part of at least one goal the last 4 games he's played.

33 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I agree if there's injury or something it could make things tough but...I mean...come on. Matt Stinson has been called up to this team. This guy has been a part of at least one goal the last 4 games he's played.

But we're also weirdly deep in "offensively oriented wingbacks who we use as LBs" department

de Jong, Adekugbe, Corbin-Ong, Edwards, Morgan, Tissot, probably missing someone

I legitimately don't know who I put at the top of that pile. 

14 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

But we're also weirdly deep in "offensively oriented wingbacks who we use as LBs" department

de Jong, Adekugbe, Corbin-Ong, Edwards, Morgan, Tissot, probably missing someone

I legitimately don't know who I put at the top of that pile. 

edwards has more minutes this season that de jong, adekugbe, morgan and tissot combined.

I'm not trying to be a total fan boy. I'm just saying this guy has already surpassed a bunch of these guys in alot of ways.

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

edwards has more minutes this season that de jong, adekugbe, morgan and tissot combined.

I'm not trying to be a total fan boy. I'm just saying this guy has already surpassed a bunch of these guys in alot of ways.

Right, but he lacks international experience (really pro experience in general), hasn't ever been exposed to top-flight soccer, is benefiting from a formation that suits him very well that might not reflect the CMNT formation, etc

I'm not saying De Jong or Adekugbe are better, or who I would pick, just that there's more to it than who has gotten the most minutes in a young MLS season or who has been in form most recently. 

I'm also assuming we are talking about the GC roster... If we are just talking about a call up in general than yes he absolutely deserves a call

33 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Right, but he lacks international experience (really pro experience in general), hasn't ever been exposed to top-flight soccer, is benefiting from a formation that suits him very well that might not reflect the CMNT formation, etc

I'm not saying De Jong or Adekugbe are better, or who I would pick, just that there's more to it than who has gotten the most minutes in a young MLS season or who has been in form most recently. 

I'm also assuming we are talking about the GC roster... If we are just talking about a call up in general than yes he absolutely deserves a call

I don't disagree with his lack of CMNT minutes, but besides DeJong it's not like Tissot, Adekugbe, Corbin-Ong or Morgan is exactly a mainstay. I assumed De Jong would likely take the top spot (despite being out of form, and, lets be honest, disapointing ever since he's come back to MLS) but that back up spot is up for grabs and it's hard for me to see how Edwards doesn't get a spot on the roster at this point.

I would agree there would be more to it if it was a deeper roster, but honestly it's not very deep. a guy getting minutes as a starter in MLS and consistently contributing (sorry Teibert) in those minutes probably qualifies you to make the team with our current depth.