Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

47 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

FYI, @Nathanael Martin had a good interview with Edwards recently

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/talking-with-tfcs-raheem-edwards/

Interesting that they are grooming him to fill Morrow's role to an extent

Very interesting and makes sense.  Morrow probably gets in attacking positions more than any full back in the league, I think with his speed and attacking talent Raheem could surpass him.  

I remember watching him play for our U23s when we thrashed Guyana's MNT 5-1 last year and thinking he was the best player on the pitch.  I didn't want to get my hopes up because after all it was Guyana.. but then you get thinking, would anyone on our MNT have put in such a good performance on the road in CONCACAF?  Can't remember the last time I saw it (maybe when we trashed St. Lucia 7-0 in 2011 but of course we couldn't see that match).  

He sees the game differently than most in our pool.  We only have a few guys who attack in what I would call a "special" way, rather than a static way.  These players include Hoilett, Arfield and Petrasso.. maybe Bustos to some extent too.  Now he probably isn't as technical as those players but the way he sees spaces and attacks them has me hopeful.  

He played really well for the 15 mins he came on for. Commentators were saying his performance surely deserved more appearances soon.

Hopefully his career won't be anything like Edwini-Bonsu's who was a sub in every season in his career except his season in d2 finland and is now a d4 sub in germany at almost 27. In germany he was very criticized for his defending. His first touch and finishing also made sure he was staying in the lower leagues.

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

I haven't seen much of him either, but my early impression is a Randy Edwini-Bonsu / Ashtone Morgan hybrid.

He has an end product offensively and does well defensively one-on-one. IMO, he makes better soccer decisions that the ones mentioned.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

He seems to be less dynamic than REB and more vertical in his play like Morgan, but he can actually dribble. Again, haven't seen much need to see more.

I haven't seen much of Edwards or REB, but I agree with this assessment. REB had me more excited back in the day to be honest, because of that dynamism you mention.

Looked to get at the defence, didn't look short of confidence at all for only his 2nd first team appearance(played 1 game last year), and put in a beautiful ball for Jozy that lead to the first goal. Positive signs, but way too early to be making any judgement. 

12 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Good showing from Edwards. Based on that performance I wouldn't be surprised if he was challenging for Beitashours spot by the end of the year.

Beitashour is a RB. Raheem is very left-footed.

The most optimal solution is Morrow moves to left CB and Edwards keeps the left wingback role but I don't think Hagglund loses his spot. He had a decent game tonight. Raheem can still be effective off the bench.

Edited by PopePouri