Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

I'm hearing a ton about Ciman, and how Impact are leaving him out to dry with the trade related to how they are treating his family and autistic son.  Braz needs to get out front of that story and keep Impact from being seen as the least classy team in the league. 

From a TEAM perspective, CIMAN deserves serious appreciation by IMPACT for his leadership, commitment towards the team in the last years and in the CL run.  they should also quell any rumors about how they treat players they trade and that they took some considerations on his family.   

From a PLAYER ONLY perspective, Ciman had a poor year - not solely his fault when he had different CB partners - but again just because he's a member of Belgium national team doesn't mean he should be untouchable, or isn't getting older, less mobile etc.  Again, he wasn't the only weak link this past season, but the assessment was he played below standards.

Finally, from a general perspective, he's obviously going to miss some time next season during WC, assuming he is picked.  That might be another rationale to let him move on.

On 12/11/2017 at 5:58 PM, Yohan said:

IIRC Edwards was never a TFC Academy player, but signed directly with TFC 2.

IMO the order that TFC might lose a player to expansion draft is

1. Raheem Edwards: min cap hit and has potential. Expansion draft is where a lot of teams build up their depth and bench players. Int spot might turn off LAFC from taking Edwards, but Bob Bradley might take a gamble on him.

2. Clint Irwin: I'd have put Irwin as #1, except Jeff Attinella of Timbers is also available. I can't see Bob Bradley not taking either Irwin or Attinella for starter GK. Cap friendly too.

3. Tosaint Ricketts: probably can start in at least half of MLS teams IMO. I think LAFC is going to get a stud DP CF, but Ricketts at least can be the 3rd striker and be super sub.

I don't think LAFC trades back any player they took in expansion draft. They are flushed with GAM and with increase in TAM, it's just not really worth it to trade back a player, when they do need to build their depth, and they only get to select 5.

Ricketts - starting for at least half of MLS teams?  With all due respect, this is crazy talk.

19 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Side note: MLS as a developmental league is only going to get worse. 

This was my first thought when they announced more TAM. There is a limit of 8 internationals, and the number of players that you can pay more than the so-called "maximum" keeps rising. Soon you are going to have 8 very high quality internationals, and a few decent domestics in the starting 11 every game. Not much room for young domestic players to get the experience they need.

56 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It seems like Edwards is the key to the deal for the Impact and that this trade was agreed upon ahead of the expansion draft. I'd like to know how far ahead they are talking about - 30 minutes or three weeks?:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/13/garde-braz-explain-montreal-impacts-decision-trade-laurent-ciman

In either case  a good move for Raheem's career and development. I still think TFC made a mistake, but as a CMNT fan first, I couldn't be more pleased

5 hours ago, Ruud said:

Ricketts - starting for at least half of MLS teams?  With all due respect, this is crazy talk.

10 goals in 1402 mins, with a lot of time coming from sub. that's a goal every 140 min rate.

He won't be a starter for top tier teams, but you look at some strikers starting for decent clubs... Do I think Ricketts is better than Will Bruin, Mancosu, Marco Urena, whatever scrubs DC United started, Diego Rubio, etc? Yeah.

MLS teams tend to make room for a pacy striker who can put in some goals by showing up at the right spot at the right time. (even if Ricketts have a first touch of a donkey)

8 minutes ago, Yohan said:

10 goals in 1402 mins, with a lot of time coming from sub. that's a goal every 140 min rate.

He won't be a starter for top tier teams, but you look at some strikers starting for decent clubs... Do I think Ricketts is better than Will Bruin, Mancosu, Marco Urena, whatever scrubs DC United started, Diego Rubio, etc? Yeah.

MLS teams tend to make room for a pacy striker who can put in some goals by showing up at the right spot at the right time. (even if Ricketts have a first touch of a donkey)

The only team in the league that I think would be okay going into next season with Ricketts as their starting striker is Colorado. I think Ricketts is an underrated player, but "30+ year old pace reliant striker coming from a team with the best supporting cast in the league" isn't what teams want...they want young South Americans or battle-tested Europeans who have carried their teams to Ws. No question he's one of the best squad players in MLS though. 

Sad to see Raheem the dream Edwards leave Toronto FC. He was getting minutes in a winning environment, which is what we should want for all our players.

At the same time, we want our guys getting as many minutes as possible.

If Edwards doubles his minutes next season with Montreal and maintains his good form, BUT has to settle for an early playoff exit or missing playoffs alltogether, is that a win for him and for Canada?

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Sad to see Raheem the dream Edwards leave Toronto FC. He was getting minutes in a winning environment, which is what we should want for all our players.

At the same time, we want our guys getting as many minutes as possible.

If Edwards doubles his minutes next season with Montreal and maintains his good form, BUT has to settle for an early playoff exit or missing playoffs alltogether, is that a win for him and for Canada?

Every player is different but in most cases that would be a win for him and Canada. He would be developing into a starter not a depth/role player.

What's the point of making it to the playoffs and winning a cup if you never play. Hmm you gained some really good playoff experience riding pine. 

Obviously he's better off playing in Montreal getting more minutes. Glad to see he's adjusted well, love the twitter wallpaper.

https://twitter.com/nikmartineauTVA/status/942821348845506560/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvasports.ca%2F2017%2F12%2F18%2Fraheem-edwards-affiche-fierement-ses-nouvelles-couleurs-celles-de-limpact

IMG_6110.PNG

IMG_6111.PNG

11 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

What's the point of making it to the playoffs and winning a cup if you never play. Hmm you gained some really good playoff experience riding pine. 

Obviously he's better off playing in Montreal getting more minutes. Glad to see he's adjusted well, love the twitter wallpaper.

https://twitter.com/nikmartineauTVA/status/942821348845506560/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvasports.ca%2F2017%2F12%2F18%2Fraheem-edwards-affiche-fierement-ses-nouvelles-couleurs-celles-de-limpact

IMG_6110.PNG

IMG_6111.PNG

Riding the pine for the MLS champions in the playoffs is way better than sitting home in Montreal watching it on TV. Ideally, the Impact will make the post-season in 2018, with Edwards playing more of a role. Don't discount the value of playing a bit-part on a Championship team. The CanMNT needs players in winning environments. 

I know Molinaro also make this mistake in his expansion draft article, but Edwards did play in the playoffs. He played against both NYRB and Columbus - against the latter he made a game-saving block of a shot which was probably the block of the playoffs (since I don't think they count it as a "save" since he wasn't the keeper).

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Riding the pine for the MLS champions in the playoffs is way better than sitting home in Montreal watching it on TV. Ideally, the Impact will make the post-season in 2018, with Edwards playing more of a role. Don't discount the value of playing a bit-part on a Championship team. The CanMNT needs players in winning environments. 

Meh agree to disagree. It's like when Micheal Owen and Kaka were at Real Madrid and hardly played. Wasted years. I'd rather get minutes than watching my playing days pass me by while taking out blisters from my butt for sitting too long on the bench.

Remember just cause you sit on the bench in the playoffs doesn't mean you get any playing experience or contribution for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

That is only true if you are ignoring how much playing time the player gets during the regular season. For most players especially young ones getting significant time during the regular season and playing a key role on a team will be better than being a bit player with less playing time on a better team even if the team does not make the playoffs. One can't predict what will happen with the Impact or what would have happened with TFC but the fact that TFC left him unprotected while the Impact traded a major player for him gives a good indication of where he stood in the plans for the respective teams in the coming season, ie. he would probably have remained a backup with TFC while the Impact expect him to play a major role. Playing a major role for the Impact during the regular season will be much better for his career even if they do not make the playoffs next year.

39 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Meh agree to disagree. It's like when Micheal Owen and Kaka were at Real Madrid and hardly played. Wasted years. I'd rather get minutes than watching my playing days pass me by while taking out blisters from my butt for sitting too long on the bench.

Remember just cause you sit on the bench in the playoffs doesn't mean you get any playing experience or contribution for that matter. 

What exactly do you disagree with? 

Is it: Riding the pine for the MLS champions in the playoffs is way better than sitting home in Montreal watching it on TV. 

Or is it: Ideally, the Impact will make the post-season in 2018, with Edwards playing more of a role.

Or perhaps: Don't discount the value of playing a bit-part on a Championship team.

Or maybe: The CanMNT needs players in winning environments.

2 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

That is only true if you are ignoring how much playing time the player gets during the regular season. For most players especially young ones getting significant time during the regular season and playing a key role on a team will be better than being a bit player with less playing time on a better team even if the team does not make the playoffs. One can't predict what will happen with the Impact or what would have happened with TFC but the fact that TFC left him unprotected while the Impact traded a major player for him gives a good indication of where he stood in the plans for the respective teams in the coming season, ie. he would probably have remained a backup with TFC while the Impact expect him to play a major role. Playing a major role for the Impact during the regular season will be much better for his career even if they do not make the playoffs next year.

I agree with that but of course it depends on how big of a role he plays relative to the role he played in Toronto in 2017.

I don't know how many minutes he played this season past, but it was probably around 1000 and he had 22 regular season apperances. He also had two sub apperances in the playoffs.

Lets say he plays 1500 next season but the Impact miss the playoffs again, is that worth it? What about 2000 minutes (pretty much a regular)? I would say the latter is worth it, but the former I am not convinced.

Regardless, we all want to see him play a lot and play well in 2018 with Montreal, and if they make the playoffs, even better!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

What exactly do you disagree with? 

Is it: Riding the pine for the MLS champions in the playoffs is way better than sitting home in Montreal watching it on TV. 

Or is it: Ideally, the Impact will make the post-season in 2018, with Edwards playing more of a role.

Or perhaps: Don't discount the value of playing a bit-part on a Championship team.

Or maybe: The CanMNT needs players in winning environments.

The part I disagree with is the argument of a player w potential sitting on the bench is better off vs on another team where he gets minutes or a potential starter. 

Just to prove my point Ricketts isn't miraculously a better player just cause he was on a winning team. He's still a johnny on the spot calibre player with a poor touch and probably wouldn't start on most teams. His skills or talent didn't improve by playing second fiddle or warming the bench on a championship team. 

53 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

The part I disagree with is the argument of a player w potential sitting on the bench is better off vs on another team where he gets minutes or a potential starter.

I don't see anyone arguing this though. People are responding to the assertion that not playing in any big games for TFC last year even though they won was pointless, and I don't think that it was (nor do I think it is true that Edwards didn't play). Edwards was also on the field for the V Cup games against Montreal (set up the Cup winner) and also made largely-forgotten-but-shouldn't-be key defensive play on Blas Perez that allowed TFC to win the Cup last year - those games are, as even Greg Vanney has admitted, de facto playoff games (certainly "big"). So the kid has gotten valuable minutes for TFC, been a valuable contributor to the success and really should have got more minutes next year for TFC (by virtue that they will be playing more games, if nothing else - though I would have expected him to get more minutes even in the number of games they were playing was the same) and TFC were quite foolish to leave him unprotected.

Naturally I think everyone hopes Edwards will play huge minutes for Montreal and I'll be the first person to post in rage on here when Montreal wins the next V-Cup after Piette wins the ball in midfield, passes it to Choiniere who puts it on the wing for Edwards who sends in a perfect cross for AJH to head home.

38 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

Just to prove my point Ricketts isn't miraculously a better player just cause he was on a winning team. He's still a johnny on the spot calibre player with a poor touch and probably wouldn't start on most teams. His skills or talent didn't improve by playing second fiddle or warming the bench on a championship team. 

Okay well I never made that argument in my post that you quoted, or any of my posts in this thread for that matter. Of course, in general it is better to play on a worse team than sit on a better one. I don't think many would disagree with that general idea.

Rather than generalize things, lets talk specifically about Edwards for a second. 

Raheem just moved from Toronto, the undisputed best team in MLS, where his minutes where limited in the regular season and playoffs. Now he has a better chance to get more minutes with Montreal, who are in flux with sugnificant player and coaching changes, and they may or may not make the playoffs.

Now don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic opportunity for Raheem to grow and it will be a good challenge for him in his young career to not only get more minutes, but to become a key player who's team depends on him, far more likely in Montreal than Toronto.

That is great, of course, but I think the jury is out on whether or not this will be better for him. Let's face it, he was already in a good situation at Toronto. He was given a chance, took it, built a reputation and now will be losing out on the opportunity to continue his steady progression in a winning environment the likes of which MLS hasn't seen in a long time. The point here is that Raheem did not need this move, like Bustos for example, who is absolutely starved for first team minutes.

Had this been Bustos moving to Montreal, I would be far more optimistic. Bustos would be moving to a weaker team where he'd probably play more, surely, and giving up the chance to move on from a winning environment would be worth it in my estimation, but Raheem on the otherhand? I seriously don't know. I am pretty lukewarm about the whole thing. Sort of crossing my fingers rather than jumping for joy.

1 hour ago, Moldy9 said:

I disagree with the comment on his first touch. It still lets him down at times, but I think it has noticeably improved since moving to Toronto, as has his composure and frankly he looks far more confident now.

Several times this season I said to myself, "of course he'd get better training with better players day in and day out, I shouldn't be sp surprised".

Obinna, I did think Edwards needed the move.  The writing was on the wall at TFC, his minutes dried up over the summer and they dont see him as an everyday starter.  There is probably an upgrade on the wing coming this winter as well.  Time to move on, if montreal think they'll give him more starts etc, fill your boots raheem!!  And all this talk about a winning team etc etc.  I think being around a team that wins is secondary to being around professionals that do things the right way. Work hard, improve their game/work on weaknesses, put the orginization first etc.    Now usually those teams with those kinds of role models are winning teams. Learning from Altidore/Cheryou/moor etc was good for him (just like it would have been from Bernier), just dont pick up any bad habits from Giovinco.  

• 4 weeks later...