Raheem Edwards

Dub Narcotic

42 minutes ago, BradMack said:

My god, nightmares do come true.

The fact that the fans could predict this shows that somewhere along the lines this was mismanagement from TFC's part. There's something wrong when Ben Spencer is protected while your top young breakthrough player on the season goes to your #1 rival.

Although I thought Ciman needed to stay in Montreal for his daughter's health care or something like that? I would imagine he's not doing cartwheels over this either.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

The fact that the fans could predict this shows that somewhere along the lines this was mismanagement from TFC's part. There's something wrong when Ben Spencer is protected while your top young breakthrough player on the season goes to your #1 rival.

Although I thought Ciman needed to stay in Montreal for his daughter's health care or something like that? I would imagine he's not doing cartwheels over this either.

Ben Spencer is automatically protected since he was a Chivas homegrown. Raheem Edwards is not a HGP. 

I believe it's his son that has autism. Kind of a dick move by the Impact since the only reason he left Belgium was for the quality of autistic care provided in Quebec.

LAFC have themselves a good CB duo though.

12 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I'de be extremely surprised if he isn't playing at LB or LWB now that Oyongo is gone. I suspect that's why they made a move for him. The Impact's twitter account tweeted quotes from Garde, definitely seems like he rates Edwards. Which is pretty cool considering he's developed some of the top French players today.

They also picked up the Finnish national team LB in this deal who is on $150k a year....and unlike LAFC, Montreal lists Edwards as a midfielder on their website. 

Edited by harrycoyster

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2017/12/12/impact-acquires-jukka-raitala-and-raheem-edwards

Article annoucing the move does comment on his attacking ability more than the defensive side of the ball.

Ciman has talked said earlier in the offseason that he'd like to stay in MLS in 2019 even if it isn't with Montreal. Sounds like contract talks didn't go smoothly recently so he gets to try LA out early.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Ben Spencer is automatically protected since he was a Chivas homegrown. Raheem Edwards is not a HGP. 

Yes, I'm aware of that.....but it simply doesn't make any sense from the point of view of protecting your best young players (even before the question of where they are from is taken into account). Somebody else needed to unprotected instead or I would have arrange for a deal ahead of time. In fact I would have happily traded Clint Irwin to LAFC to get Edwards back.

This is not going to be a popular move with the fanbase for TFC - even the cynical types in the stands  who are harsher on Canucks simply because they are Canucks and don't believe that they are on the team due to merit but because of citizenship.....even they thought highly of Edwards. To see him go to our rivals is, as others have alluded to, a nightmare. I'd have preferred him to stay with LAFC over that, especially since I think it puts a dent in our chances for the V-Cup as things currently stand (granted there is lots of time to go).

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yes, I'm aware of that.....but it simply doesn't make any sense from the point of view of protecting your best young players (even before the question of where they are from is taken into account). Somebody else needed to unprotected instead or I would have arrange for a deal ahead of time. In fact I would have happily traded Clint Irwin to LAFC to get Edwards back.

This is not going to be a popular move with the fanbase for TFC - even the cynical types in the stands  who are harsher on Canucks simply because they are Canucks and don't believe that they are on the team due to merit but because of citizenship.....even they thought highly of Edwards. To see him go to our rivals is, as others have alluded to, a nightmare. I'd have preferred him to stay with LAFC over that, especially since I think it puts a dent in our chances for the V-Cup as things currently stand (granted there is lots of time to go).

You are allowed to protect 11 players. Which of these 11 players would you get rid of for Edwards?

Altidore, Jozy
Bono, Alex
Bradley, Michael
Delgado, Marky
Giovinco, Sebastian (INT'L)
Hagglund, Nick
Mavinga, Chrys (INT'L)
Morrow, Justin
Osorio, Jonathan
Vazquez, Victor (INT'L)
Zavaleta, Eriq

If it was me probably Hagglund or Zavaleta. They're both the same sort of limited Skill set, athletic CB. But the other thing is the TAM infusion coming up too. On Extra Time Radio they said there will be 5.2 Million in TAM available to teams next year. There's a chance they sign someone better than Morrow who becomes a back up.

It's a bummer but this is a far cry from the Mista signing.

10 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Eric Zavaleta.

My pick as well. A pretty easy one actually, but Vanney's one weakness as a coach comes into play here........

John Molinaro is saying this is no big deal on twitter because Edwards wasn't going to play much behind Morrow and besides they can replace Edwards with TAM money signing. He also reports that TFC plan to sign other players of Chris Mavinga (ie. starter) quality.

But his logic makes no sense because TFC aren't going to be using TAM to replace Edwards if he's considered the #2 for a position and wasn't going to play over Morrow. If they were going to sign a player for that position replace Morrow as the #1, you then get rid of Morrow and leave the affordable & capable option as the back up.

The logical place to upgrade the regular starting line-up with another TAM signing will be at the back.  Moor getting on in age and is easily Zavaleta someone who can easily upgraded (to a defender who can actually distribute the ball while also being strong at the one-on-one stuff that Zavaleta is good at). Other possibilities would be Delgado (in the 3-5-2 and, if they are playing 4-4-2, even Osorio (not that I want that, but an upgrade is theoretically possible). Beitashour is another possibility I suppose. I don't see them upgrading from Giovinco, Altidore, Bradly, Vazquez, Mavinga, or Bono.

My pick as well. A pretty easy one actually, but Vanney's one weakness as a coach comes into play here........

John Molinaro is saying this is no big deal on twitter because Edwards wasn't going to play much behind Morrow and besides they can replace Edwards with TAM money signing. He also reports that TFC plan to sign other players of Chris Mavinga (ie. starter) quality.

But his logic makes no sense because TFC aren't going to be using TAM to replace Edwards if he's considered the #2 for a position and wasn't going to play over Morrow. If they were going to sign a player for that position replace Morrow as the #1, you then get rid of Morrow and leave the affordable & capable option as the back up.

The logical place to upgrade the regular starting line-up with another TAM signing will be at the back.  Moor getting on in age and is easily Zavaleta someone who can easily upgraded (to a defender who can actually distribute the ball while also being strong at the one-on-one stuff that Zavaleta is good at). Other possibilities would be Delgado (in the 3-5-2 and, if they are playing 4-4-2, even Osorio (not that I want that, but an upgrade is theoretically possible). Beitashour is another possibility I suppose. I don't see them upgrading from Giovinco, Altidore, Bradly, Vazquez, Mavinga, or Bono.

I think we're quickly getting to a place where teams like TFC will field an entire starting line up of TAM and DP players. The idea of Morrow being a back up isn't that crazy when you consider 5.2 mill of TAM for a team as ambitious of Toronto FC. We are at the point now where the backups on great teams could be one of the best starters on good teams and the salary they make matters less and less.

Side note: MLS as a developmental league is only going to get worse. 

With the amount of allocation money available for use probably half the starters are getting upgraded. 

Good point G-L, Molinaro's point makes no sense. If it were me you keep Edwards over Zavaleta (Vanney's nepotism), trade Morrow to a small market team, release Beitashour and upgrade both FB positions as well as the Delgado/Osorio spot. A couple of new CB's too...

13 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think we're quickly getting to a place where teams like TFC will field an entire starting line up of TAM and DP players. The idea of Morrow being a back up isn't that crazy when you consider 5.2 mill of TAM for a team as ambitious of Toronto FC. We are at the point now where the backups on great teams could be one of the best starters on good teams and the salary they make matters less and less.

I think what makes it a bit crazy for me is the notion that you'd go into this process with a plan to use TAM to upgrade the position that you already were strongest at depth-wise (or at least they were before they messed up here). Ashtone Morgan should be entering the prime of his career, so I suppose this is good news for him. From a national team perspective, it does keep Edwards playing with and getting chemistry with other Canucks (Montreal is chock-full of them now, even if one of them is named Tabla). So there are some potential positives, just not from a TFC fan perspective.

11 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Well this is a loose-loose situation. Montreal loose Ciman (try to replace that guy) and TFC looses one of the most promising young Canucks. Now two Canadian teams get hit by the  expansion draft. Hope they'll at least play him in Montreal. 

I doubt that the Impact were forced in losing Ciman in the expansion draft. They made the deal willingly.