FIFA eligibility rules / one time switch - the curious case of Apostolos Giannou

BCM

I'm eligible to practice law in four jurisdictions, but I cannot seem to get my head around FIFA eligibility rules. I cannot understand how any migrant can play youth football for his new country, and can represent the new country at the men's level prior to the age of 23 (that is, five years after turning 18).

Now I'm confused about the "one-time switch". It is often said that despite someone playing at the youth level for one country, they are automatically cap-tied upon filing the "one-time switch". Scott Arfield being the latest case, but we can go back to Teal Bunbury and others.

Can someone explain to me how Apostolos Giannou just represented Australia in a World Cup qualifier (7-0 win over Tajikistan). Born in Greece in 1990, Giannou moved to Melbourne as a young child. He was named to and represented Australia in 2006 in Asian Football Confederation (AFC) championship qualifiers -- ie. official matches. He later represented Greece at the U-19 level in EURO qualifiers and in U-21 EURO qualifiers - ie official matches. He was subsequently called up to the Greek national team, and on the bench in at least one EURO qualifier. He played for Greece in late 2015 in a friendly. In February this year, Giannou announced he was switching (back) to Australia. He represented Australia in the World Cup qualifier in March and is now cap tied.

So my question was how did Giannou switch back to Australia if someone is allowed a "one-time switch". It cannot be that youth matches do not count, or players like Arfied and Bunbury would not even have had to file and would not have been cap tied until they actually stepped on the field. Do only U-19 or U-21 matches count?

It also looks like Giannou hasn't actually lived in Australia since he was 17 years old, but I leave the "lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18" debate for another day (and good luck trying to find the rules governing the 'FIFA Player's Status Committee').

I think that the one-time switch comes after the age of 21. Prior to the age of 21, a player can switch multiple times between the countries for which they are eligible, without representing 2 countries in the same competition. Once they turn 21, they are tied to the last country that they represented in age-level competition, unless they exercise their one-time switch rights before making an official senior appearance. 

That's my theory...

Basically there are two parts to this.

The first is that prior to 2009, from my understanding anyway, there were no rules in place to prevent a country like Qatar from bringing a bunch of kids into their country through a program like Aspire, training them and then having them represent the Qatar national team. FIFA changed the rules so this couldn't happen. They then began giving exemptions to players who moved to a country for non-footballing reasons. Where the exemptions are in the actual rules, who knows, but Canada and Australia has used these a lot as they are immigrant nations. This of course is a big concern for Canada when it comes to a player like Davies who was born in Liberia but raised here.

All of the above however is irrelevant, as Giannou first played for Australia prior to 2009.

The second part is that players are not cap-tied if they hold citizenship to both countries until they play an official senior team match for that country. Giannou has never played an official senior team match for Greece and is therefore eligible to play for Australia

3 hours ago, Coramoor said:

Basically there are two parts to this.

The first is that prior to 2009, from my understanding anyway, there were no rules in place to prevent a country like Qatar from bringing a bunch of kids into their country through a program like Aspire, training them and then having them represent the Qatar national team. FIFA changed the rules so this couldn't happen. They then began giving exemptions to players who moved to a country for non-footballing reasons. Where the exemptions are in the actual rules, who knows, but Canada and Australia has used these a lot as they are immigrant nations. This of course is a big concern for Canada when it comes to a player like Davies who was born in Liberia but raised here.

All of the above however is irrelevant, as Giannou first played for Australia prior to 2009.

The second part is that players are not cap-tied if they hold citizenship to both countries until they play an official senior team match for that country. Giannou has never played an official senior team match for Greece and is therefore eligible to play for Australia

Thanks all for the responses.

Coramoor - with you on the first part, but not entirely with the second part. The "one-time switch" apparently cap ties the player immediately upon switching. Hence, why Bunbury cannot play for Canada (I don't think he played an official match for the US - could be mistaken). This is my question in regards to Giannou - did he make the "one time switch", then switch back. Or is SthMelbRed right in saying under the age of 21 it doesn't count (unwritten?)?

Lavery is another good example - like Arfield - he played youth for one country before switching. Can he switch back? The 'one-time switch rule would say 'no'. 

I do know the FIFA Player's Status Committee makes the determinations when a waiver is applied for - you can see the membership on the FIFA website (I actually used to know the Australian representative - I'll see if I still have his email), but not its operating rules. It looks black box.

My guess is that New Zealand never applied for a waiver for Declan Wynne, which is why they were kicked out of the Olympics. Would then assume Canada has applied for a waiver for all our young migrant players prior to playing youth football (or senior) for us. They do seem reasonable with these then, as I don't know of any migrant nation where a player was ruled ineligible - except for Wynne.

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Coramoor - with you on the first part, but not entirely with the second part. The "one-time switch" apparently cap ties the player immediately upon switching. Hence, why Bunbury cannot play for Canada (I don't think he played an official match for the US - could be mistaken). This is my question in regards to Giannou - did he make the "one time switch", then switch back. Or is SthMelbRed right in saying under the age of 21 it doesn't count (unwritten?)?

That's what I thought until the case of Juan Iturbe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Iturbe

He was born in Argentina but both his parents are from Paraguay. Played first for Paraguay at U17 and U20 level, then played for Argentina at U20 level, including an U20 WC in 2011. I thought at that point he couldn't switch anymore but it happens that he is part of the current WCQ games for Paraguay. 

To me, it seems SthMelbRed explanation of the rules makes sense to Iturbe's case but I need a link to confirm that information is correct.

11 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I'm eligible to practice law in four jurisdictions, but I cannot seem to get my head around FIFA eligibility rules. I cannot understand how any migrant can play youth football for his new country, and can represent the new country at the men's level prior to the age of 23 (that is, five years after turning 18).

Now I'm confused about the "one-time switch". It is often said that despite someone playing at the youth level for one country, they are automatically cap-tied upon filing the "one-time switch". Scott Arfield being the latest case, but we can go back to Teal Bunbury and others.

Can someone explain to me how Apostolos Giannou just represented Australia in a World Cup qualifier (7-0 win over Tajikistan). Born in Greece in 1990, Giannou moved to Melbourne as a young child. He was named to and represented Australia in 2006 in Asian Football Confederation (AFC) championship qualifiers -- ie. official matches. He later represented Greece at the U-19 level in EURO qualifiers and in U-21 EURO qualifiers - ie official matches. He was subsequently called up to the Greek national team, and on the bench in at least one EURO qualifier. He played for Greece in late 2015 in a friendly. In February this year, Giannou announced he was switching (back) to Australia. He represented Australia in the World Cup qualifier in March and is now cap tied.

So my question was how did Giannou switch back to Australia if someone is allowed a "one-time switch". It cannot be that youth matches do not count, or players like Arfied and Bunbury would not even have had to file and would not have been cap tied until they actually stepped on the field. Do only U-19 or U-21 matches count?

It also looks like Giannou hasn't actually lived in Australia since he was 17 years old, but I leave the "lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18" debate for another day (and good luck trying to find the rules governing the 'FIFA Player's Status Committee').

Just a question, nothing intended. Being eligible to practice law in four jurisdictions you will have thoroughly reviewed the law itself in detail before emitting an opinion, I assume. And juridprudence derived from it? 

I am basically asking someone here, someone who understands law, to read it properly for us instead of speculating around it.

Edit: in the last 15 minutes I have read the Wiki on this, two FIFA circulars, the relevant statute for FIFA, Eligibility to play for representative team. Not only do I understand the rule a lot better, I have just read a few things about Giannou as an example. A clear example. All I am saying is that if you are indeed a qualified lawyer, and insist on it in a post, you should be expected to do at least that much before starting a thread.

9 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Lavery is another good example - like Arfield - he played youth for one country before switching. Can he switch back? The 'one-time switch rule would say 'no'. 

I do know the FIFA Player's Status Committee makes the determinations when a waiver is applied for - you can see the membership on the FIFA website (I actually used to know the Australian representative - I'll see if I still have his email), but not its operating rules. It looks black box.

My guess is that New Zealand never applied for a waiver for Declan Wynne, which is why they were kicked out of the Olympics. Would then assume Canada has applied for a waiver for all our young migrant players prior to playing youth football (or senior) for us. They do seem reasonable with these then, as I don't know of any migrant nation where a player was ruled ineligible - except for Wynne.

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with Citizenship. If you are a dual or tri citizenship individual, by birth or by where you grew up and gained citizenship(ignoring the exemption stuff for the minute) and you have acquired that citizenship prior to playing for another country. You are not captied until you play an official game at the senior team level. In the situation of Giannou, he would have never needed to file a one time switch as he had never done anything to captie himself  either way, being both a citizen of Greece and Australia before playing for the Aussie U17 teams. He never entered the field of play for Greece in an official match and is therefore eligible to continue playing for Australia, which he has now done.

Lavery has yet to play an official senior team match and therefore he could switch back to Canada, his situation also does not involve the one time switch.

The Arfield situation is where the one time switch matters. He was eligible for Canadian citizenship but did not have it prior to playing for Scotland's youth teams. In this situation, he now has to file his one time swtich to be able to play for Canada.

27 minutes ago, Coramoor said:

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with Citizenship. If you are a dual or tri citizenship individual, by birth or by where you grew up and gained citizenship(ignoring the exemption stuff for the minute) and you have acquired that citizenship prior to playing for another country. You are not captied until you play an official game at the senior team level. In the situation of Giannou, he would have never needed to file a one time switch as he had never done anything to captie himself  either way, being both a citizen of Greece and Australia before playing for the Aussie U17 teams. He never entered the field of play for Greece in an official match and is therefore eligible to continue playing for Australia, which he has now done.

Lavery has yet to play an official senior team match and therefore he could switch back to Canada, his situation also does not involve the one time switch.

The Arfield situation is where the one time switch matters. He was eligible for Canadian citizenship but did not have it prior to playing for Scotland's youth teams. In this situation, he now has to file his one time swtich to be able to play for Canada.

This is incorrect. Official youth matches do provisionally cap-tie an individual to that country. In the case of Lavery he played for Canada at the CONCACAF U17 qualifiers in 2009 so he needed to file his one-time switch to play for N. Ireland and therefore cannot switch back to Canada.

In Arfields case his lack of citizenship had nothing to do with the situation. His father was born in Canada so under FIFA statutes Arfield has been eligible to represent us since his birth. The switch was necessary because he was cap-tied to Scotland thanks to the youth caps in official competition.

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

This is incorrect. Official youth matches do provisionally cap-tie an individual to that country. In the case of Lavery he played for Canada at the CONCACAF U17 qualifiers in 2009 so he needed to file his one-time switch to play for N. Ireland and therefore cannot switch back to Canada.

In Arfields case his lack of citizenship had nothing to do with the situation. His father was born in Canada so under FIFA statutes Arfield has been eligible to represent us since his birth. The switch was necessary because he was cap-tied to Scotland thanks to the youth caps in official competition.

Do you have any evidence of that, because that would go entirely against all the players that play for multiple youth teams without having to file switches. Giannou being the obvious example in that case. I've never seen anyone say that Lavery couldn't switch back, just that he had no interest in doing so.

11 minutes ago, Coramoor said:

Do you have any evidence of that, because that would go entirely against all the players that play for multiple youth teams without having to file switches. Giannou being the obvious example in that case. I've never seen anyone say that Lavery couldn't switch back, just that he had no interest in doing so.

It has been established that Lavery cannot switch back numerous times on this board by myself and others. Read and understand the FIFA statutes sections 5 and 7 and you will see clearly.

As for players that switch countries without filing paperwork, those are players that did not play in official youth matches prior to switching and were therefore not provisionally cap-tied. You can switch back and forth multiple times to multiple countries if you don't play official matches.

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

It has been established that Lavery cannot switch back numerous times on this board by myself and others. Read and understand the FIFA statutes sections 5 and 7 and you will see clearly.

As for players that switch countries without filing paperwork, those are players that did not play in official youth matches prior to switching and were therefore not provisionally cap-tied. You can switch back and forth multiple times to multiple countries if you don't play official matches.

Sorry for bringing up Lavery, jp.Won't happen again.

4 hours ago, jpg75 said:

BCM, as I mentioned above check the Aussie youth caps.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_AFC_U-17_Championship

You will notice that Australia did not participate in the 2006 AFC U16 Championships. Don't believe everything on wikipedia.

And this is perhaps the simple answer - Giannou's games for Australia may not have been "official" -- despite me reading and believing they were.

It's clear Lavery and Bunbury cannot switch back, and Arfield was tied upon filing the "one time switch". But it does seem that there have been "two time switches"...

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just a question, nothing intended. Being eligible to practice law in four jurisdictions you will have thoroughly reviewed the law itself in detail before emitting an opinion, I assume. And juridprudence derived from it? 

I am basically asking someone here, someone who understands law, to read it properly for us instead of speculating around it.

Edit: in the last 15 minutes I have read the Wiki on this, two FIFA circulars, the relevant statute for FIFA, Eligibility to play for representative team. Not only do I understand the rule a lot better, I have just read a few things about Giannou as an example. A clear example. All I am saying is that if you are indeed a qualified lawyer, and insist on it in a post, you should be expected to do at least that much before starting a thread.

Hahahahaha. Still a know it all fool, I see.

I am familiar with the rules (and have worked on clearing players for Hong Kong in the past), but can't see anything where it explains the situation of someone playing in an "official" U-17 match for one nation, then "official" U-19 and U-21 matches for another, then switching back to the first. It's not in the relevant statute. Please do send me the text of where you see this in the rules. Where is it Jeffrey? You mention you are enlightened, so we would all appreciate if you would share...

Since you're a super googler, if you can find any governing rules for the 'FIFA Player's Status Committee' - the committee which clears players (bet you didn't know that) - please send those as well.

Glad you figured it all out, but decided not to tell anyone.

You really do have issues, mate. Serious issues.

10 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Hahahahaha. Still a know it all fool, I see.

I am familiar with the rules (and have worked on clearing players for Hong Kong in the past), but can't see anything where it explains the situation of someone playing in an "official" U-17 match for one nation, then "official" U-19 and U-21 matches for another, then switching back to the first. It's not in the relevant statute. Please do send me the text of where you see this in the rules. Where is it Jeffrey? You mention you are enlightened, so we would all appreciate if you would share...

Since you're a super googler, if you can find any governing rules for the 'FIFA Player's Status Committee' - the committee which clears players (bet you didn't know that) - please send those as well.

Glad you figured it all out, but decided not to tell anyone.

You really do have issues, mate. Serious issues.

BCM, you're the lawyer boasting about experience and you are asking us, so don't get all in a knot. Talk about arrogance, I mean, look at the thread title: "the curious case of Apostolos Giannou", my ass. That kind of faux-posturing brings out the cynical in me, sorry.

BCM, since you are the expert, the least you can do is cite the documents, available online (as are all posterior circulars, and resolutions on specific cases). Do the minimum any serious lawyer would do, lay out the rules and jurisprudence, then call for opinions. I mean, you have even worked on this in Hong Kong? 

As for me, all I am doing is exposing your peacock strutting, I have no experience on this and have never posted on the subject, I am totally clued out even about cases where I know the player personally (Dani Fernandes).

Thing is, are you aware how many threads have been started on this subject over the years? We are talking about literally dozens of threads and hundreds of posts. Mostly huge circle jerks. So sorry if I am a bit cynical: after all, being a real lawyer with experience  you should at least take us a half step further.

As I see it, IMHO, you want to be the self-proclaimed expert but you are too lazy or inexpert to do the research.

EDIT: a bombastic post about a Greek-Australian on our MNT forum smack in the middle of two WCQs, that is way off topic and a lame stab at notoriety. Somebody had to call your bluff.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

BCM, you're the lawyer boasting about experience and you are asking us, so don't get all in a knot. Talk about arrogance, I mean, look at the thread title: "the curious case of Apostolos Giannou", my ass. That kind of faux-posturing brings out the cynical in me, sorry.

BCM, since you are the expert, the least you can do is cite the documents, available online (as are all posterior circulars, and resolutions on specific cases). Do the minimum any serious lawyer would do, lay out the rules and jurisprudence, then call for opinions. I mean, you have even worked on this in Hong Kong? 

As for me, all I am doing is exposing your peacock strutting, I have no experience on this and have never posted on the subject, I am totally clued out even about cases where I know the player personally (Dani Fernandes).

Thing is, are you aware how many threads have been started on this subject over the years? We are talking about literally dozens of threads and hundreds of posts. Mostly huge circle jerks. So sorry if I am a bit cynical: after all, being a real lawyer with experience  you should at least take us a half step further.

As I see it, IMHO, you want to be the self-proclaimed expert but you are too lazy or inexpert to do the research.

EDIT: a bombastic post about a Greek-Australian on our MNT forum smack in the middle of two WCQs, that is way off topic and a lame stab at notoriety. Somebody had to call your bluff.

A simple thread about the complexities of FIFA's eligibility rules when it comes to a particular player and you decide to change it into a pissing contest.  Why?  Does your "internet argument" quota need a topping up?

18 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

A simple thread about the complexities of FIFA's eligibility rules when it comes to a particular player and you decide to change it into a pissing contest.  Why?  Does your "internet argument" quota need a topping up?

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@avroarrow I don't get it, Unnamed Trialist is the board's self proclaimed cynic. Almost every time I see his posts he's in a pissing match with someone (the latest being the 'criminal negligence' thread just the other day). I find it humourous, actually. 

@Unnamed Trialist Again, hahahaha. The case of Giannou is curious as it is a "double switch". Everyone talks of a "one-time switch" and this is a switch back. Why is that not curious? Yet again, you claim you found all the answers but refuse to supply them. Now that's curious.

By coming on here asking a question I am self-proclaiming myself as an expert. Your logic is also curious. Well, simply flawed.

Finally Jeffrey, look back and see how many threads I've started. This may be the second, third max. Notoriety? Seriously. For the third time I'll laugh at you, hahahaha.

The point of mentioning I'm a lawyer (I didn't mention I have a PhD too :) ) was to say I'm no fool but can't understand the rules! It was not to act like the expert. It's clear I was asking a question, not proclaiming knowledge. The rules are unclear (here's the link you wanted http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/AFFederation/Generic/02/58/14/48/2015FIFAStatutesEN_Neutral.pdf, which has been posted in other threads so is unnecessary here) or in this case ("double switch") non-existent. As are the rules for the committee which decides eligibility, simply nonexistent -- I know you're not a lawyer Jeffrey, as you would know not to take a circular or press release for the governing rules. 

Two times now you have stated or implied you easily found the answer to my original question - do tell me? Or are you simply full of hot air and BS?

Edit: I'll add the cavallini thread as an even more recent example of your constant know it all holier than all arguments. Like I said, you have issues mate. 

9 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

@avroarrow I don't get it, Unnamed Trialist is the board's self proclaimed cynic. Almost every time I see his posts he's in a pissing match with someone (the latest being the 'criminal negligence' thread just the other day). I find it humourous, actually. 

@Unnamed Trialist Again, hahahaha. The case of Giannou is curious as it is a "double switch". Everyone talks of a "one-time switch" and this is a switch back. Why is that not curious? Yet again, you claim you found all the answers but refuse to supply them. Now that's curious.

By coming on here asking a question I am self-proclaiming myself as an expert. Your logic is also curious. Well, simply flawed.

Finally Jeffrey, look back and see how many threads I've started. This may be the second, third max. Notoriety? Seriously. For the third time I'll laugh at you, hahahaha.

The point of mentioning I'm a lawyer (I didn't mention I have a PhD too :) ) was to say I'm no fool but can't understand the rules! It was not to act like the expert. It's clear I was asking a question, not proclaiming knowledge. The rules are unclear (here's the link you wanted http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/AFFederation/Generic/02/58/14/48/2015FIFAStatutesEN_Neutral.pdf, which has been posted in other threads so is unnecessary here) or in this case ("double switch") non-existent. As are the rules for the committee which decides eligibility, simply nonexistent -- I know you're not a lawyer Jeffrey, as you would know not to take a circular or press release for the governing rules. 

Two times now you have stated or implied you easily found the answer to my original question - do tell me? Or are you simply full of hot air and BS?

Edit: I'll add the cavallini thread as an even more recent example of your constant know it all holier than all arguments. Like I said, you have issues mate. 

BCM, this is why the legal profession is one of the least respected in Canada at present. 

That is actually based on poll results, there, see how you cite sources? Go for it, and I'll think about this, fair enough.

But this thread is OT and an umpteenth boring repeat so do us a favour and bury it over in World Football and go for it there.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

BCM, this is why the legal profession is one of the least respected in Canada at present. 

That is actually based on poll results, there, see how you cite sources? Go for it, and I'll think about this, fair enough.

But this thread is OT and an umpteenth boring repeat so do us a favour and bury it over in World Football and go for it there.

I looked for "internet blowhard" (which I assume is your profession) on that poll's list but didn't see it.  Perhaps it was missing from the possible voting options?

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you're full of hot air and BS. Like I suspected. Enough said. 

Archived