CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE

Robert

CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE - Stadium Safety and Security - FIFA.com

Dear Messrs. Gianni Infantino, Justino Compean and Horace Burrell,

It is with grave concern that I bring the following matter to your attention.

Last evening, March 25, 2016, I attended the FIFA World Cup qualifying match between CANADA and MEXICO, at BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, Canada.  The announced attendance was 54,798, a Canadian record for an international match.  In my estimation it appeared that both teams were close to having an equal number of supporters.

During the latter stages of this match, supporters repeatedly invaded the pitch, in every instance, the invaders coming from the stadium’s North side (the Mexican side) of the stadium.  Not only did these repeated invasions stop the game, put they also put the personal safety of match officials, players and everyone else in the stadium at serious risk of personal harm, and even death.  Imagine, as inconceivable as it is, if Mexico had been losing by a 3-0 what could have resulted.  FIFA and CONCACAF would be receiving this communication from my lawyers instead.

Throughout my life, I have attended many FIFA World Cup matches all over the world, and have always felt safe with the security the hosting Associations have provided at these events.  Sadly, the Canadian Soccer Association failed to take similar measures to ensure the safety of officials, players, and their paying customers.

Hiring an inexpensive security firm, totally incapable of dealing with crown control, and making a brief announcement on the public address system, in English only, prior to the commencement of this match, warning spectators that they will be ejected from the stadium and prosecuted if they invade the pitch, amounts to nothing less than criminal negligence.  I am sure that FIFA and CONCACAF would want, at all cost, to take every perceivable precaution possible to avoid a repeat of the Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver that happened a few years ago.

I respectfully urge you to read the referee’s match report and examine the video evidence of this match.  After doing so, I trust that both FIFA and CONCACAF will take the appropriate action necessary to hold accountable those who are responsible for this act of criminal negligence.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Janning

p.s.  Please feel free to share this communication, as I also reserve the right to do so.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So Mr. Infantino, welcome to the new job, there's a lot to do... there's the lingering corruption scandal looming over FIFA's head, you've got to work with UEFA to ensure the smooth operation of this summer's Euro, there's the--"

"No no, stop everything. Have you seen this letter?! Three fans running onto the field in Canada! Three! This is unacceptable crown control! Get me on a plane to Canada City right away!"

I wanted to make a post about the security; however you beat me to it.

These security companies for the most part are low paid positions without regular fitness standards. When the "fans" fan onto the field, not one guy was willing to go faster than a casual walk in the direction of the "fan".  They don't care to exert themselves or they just cant run 50 feet hard out.   It was honestly embarrassing for them.

While I thought it was aweseome when the player ran out and nailed one guy to the ground; it is awfully dangerous when players have to deal with fan intrusions because your security guys won't consider moving faster than a slow walk (either due to laziness or lack of fitness).

Yes, in this case, these fans are harmless. However, in this crazy world we live in today, we have no idea of one of them wants to knife a player or take a shot and one, or anything.  For security to watch a guy run for 30 - 60 seconds without even attempting to stop him is disgraceful.

The man who was with no pants, ran around for a minute on the pitch. He then ran back to the stands and up the stairs into the concourse.  He passed multiple security people and not one of them attempted to move past a casual walk.

Embarrassing to say the least; and dangerous when you look at the potential.

16 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I wanted to make a post about the security; however you beat me to it.

These security companies for the most part are low paid positions without regular fitness standards. When the "fans" fan onto the field, not one guy was willing to go faster than a casual walk in the direction of the "fan".  They don't care to exert themselves or they just cant run 50 feet hard out.   It was honestly embarrassing for them.

While I thought it was aweseome when the player ran out and nailed one guy to the ground; it is awfully dangerous when players have to deal with fan intrusions because your security guys won't consider moving faster than a slow walk (either due to laziness or lack of fitness).

Yes, in this case, these fans are harmless. However, in this crazy world we live in today, we have no idea of one of them wants to knife a player or take a shot and one, or anything.  For security to watch a guy run for 30 - 60 seconds without even attempting to stop him is disgraceful.

The man who was with no pants, ran around for a minute on the pitch. He then ran back to the stands and up the stairs into the concourse.  He passed multiple security people and not one of them attempted to move past a casual walk.

Embarrassing to say the least; and dangerous when you look at the potential.

The long-distance phone lines to Zurich, Switzerland are also down.  Is Canada turning into another North Korea?

Criminal negligence is a charge under the criminal code. Local police would have to press charges.

The only thing your letter to FIFA might accomplish is getting us to play our next home game in an empty stadium. In which case you'll have a bunch of pissed off V's ready to lynch your ass.

28 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Why do I have a line through all my text..... censoring me?

You just don't know how to work a computer.

13 minutes ago, king1010 said:

lmao id take a 3-0 loss at azteca in a heart beat

That's exactly the difference between you and I, cause there's no way I'd settle for that!  Although I guess if you have a 1-8 performance on your cv, you would consider 0-3 an improvement!

Robert, you've posted here for a long time, some newbies think you're a troll and a put on.  But some of the old timers who have seen your posts over the years know you have issues. 

Seriously, I worry about your mental health.  I was watching a video with Jimmy Kimmel and Rob Ford and Jimmy was seriously asking for Rob Ford to get help with his problems (too late now unfortunately).  I would like to ask the same of you. 

You have something to contribute but you can't seem to find the right way to get it out.  Your book was the right way, your posts here are not and leave the impression that you have some serious mental issues.  You've written of your past problems maybe it's time to take another look.

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Robert, you've posted here for a long time, some newbies think you're a troll and a put on.  But some of the old timers who have seen your posts over the years know you have issues. 

Seriously, I worry about your mental health.  I was watching a video with Jimmy Kimmel and Rob Ford and Jimmy was seriously asking for Rob Ford to get help with his problems (too late now unfortunately).  I would like to ask the same of you. 

You have something to contribute but you can't seem to find the right way to get it out.  Your book was the right way, your posts here are not and leave the impression that you have some serious mental issues.  You've written of your past problems maybe it's time to take another look.

Hi. I am an addict and my friends call me Robert.  Thanks for your concern Joe.  Mind you, totally unwarranted, because on May 29th, God willing and one day at a time, I will celebrate 15 years of recovery and sobriety.:)

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yes I know, but i think there are some other things you should be working on.  The book seemed like a good outlet for you.  Time to start researching another?

Thanks again Joe.  Actually I just came back from Victoria, where I spent the last 2 months doing research for a new book I'm working on.  Anyway, getting back to this thread:

Hopefully Mr. Montagliani and the CSA will take notes on how the Federacion Mexicana du Futbol Asociacion deals with security at the Azteca next Tuesday.

If you don’t think this is a serious issue, try to image what it would be like as a Canadian player if the Federacion Nacional Autonoma de Futbol de Honduras address security in Tegucigalpa, or San Pedro Sula the same way as the CSA does. What does Mr. Montagliani expect from a $12 an hour security guard to do when a liquored-up Mexican with his sausage comes charging at him?  This is a job for the army, which requires a show of force for any idiot contemplating such an act.

How many idiots do you think will make it onto the pitches in Mexico City or Tegucigalpa during our two upcoming games?

Stadium security was pathetic, they had obviously not been trained how to react. Mind you, fi Robert gets his way, in all fairness and his premise being right, Canada should have to play at home in a closed stadium. That is the proper FIFA sanction.

Occasional racist chanting, flares aimed at opposing fans, fighting, weapons, piss bags, they are all peanuts compared to those streakers. 

PS. As for Kusch, if he'd tackled me like that, I would have sued him for assault. That was the dumbest thing you could possibly do, he should have been immediately red-carded for that, it was a huge blunder he got away with. You cannot attack another person physically, for any reason whatsoever, unless you are actually given the task of using reasonable force as part of your job. Just remember Hazard pulling that ball from a ballboy, that was the correct reffing decision and the ref should have done the same last night to Garth.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

PS. As for Kusch, if he'd tackled me like that, I would have sued him for assault.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but nonetheless. Good luck with lawsuits these days, people's patience for that kind of political correctness had died in Canada.  Three Mounties and a Parliament Hill monument guard being murdered in cold blood has kind of taken the sympathy away from that kind of stupidity.  You're stupid enough to run on the field who knows what you might do.  You might be an innocent drunk you might be ISIS, it's act now and ask questions later.  BTW Garret not Garth

Archived