Iain Hume

1beertapper

I love Ian Hume, but after seeing how Issey and Haber are panning out, I am not sure he'd be a target for many teams, much less the star player we'd all expect him to be. His experience could be invaluable, especially for an expansion club, but the league in its early stage seems to be dominated by the younger players.

I haven't kept tabs on him for a few seasons, so no idea how he is doing in India, but when I was following him he was still scoring loads of goals. It would be interesting to see him in the CanPL!

When I saw Humey two and three years ago, first in Spanish 2nd division at Pontferradina, then in third tier at Extremadura, he was clearly in shape, first of all. He had pace, as he always had had. He played more like a second striker. In Spanish 2nd he was a bit over his head, but managed, and at Extremadura with a big budget and an ambitious plan, he was better, but that was third tier. 

I am not sure that is the same level as where Issey was at, in Malaysia, which from what we are seeing is maybe a lower level than CPL. I think that Hume was at a higher level, more recently, than Issey. As for Haber, I still hope he might get into a groove with the club. 

Hume's deal is that his family is in England, and I think that is where they want to be, saying this as I think they never went with him to any of his gigs abroad. He has been drawing out his career to keep making some money, but I sort of doubt he'd accept 70 grand to come back to Canada, I could be wrong. Look at his twitter: he is looking at England constantly.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's his second appearance (that I am aware of) on OneSoccer during the pandemic. Maybe he's gotten a job with them? Asa did say in that video "It will be good to see you in person". But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. It would be great if he can be involved in some way though. Whether it is playing, coaching, broadcasting, helping found a L1O team with eyes towards the CPL, whatever he can do to help the game in Canada will be very welcome here.

• 1 year later...