WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Question for the uk / euro folk, are you staying up all night or sleeping for a bit and walking up before kick off?

Was going to nap first when I thought the time difference was 8 hours, but with the match at 2 I think I can make it

19 minutes ago, Footscray said:

First time I've ever regretted cancelling cable.  Not able to go down and looks like I'll be watching a grainy internet stream.  Too bad TSN go doesn't do day passes like SKY Go.  Take my money!!

Fourth post in

Does this site have a way to link to a specific post.  Also how do you preview a post before posting (submit reply)

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Fourth post in

Does this site have a way to link to a specific post.  Also how do you preview a post before posting (submit reply)

Thanks for sharing... unfortunately I'm aware of this option and have already done the begging for a password with 8-10 people... all of my friends have cut cable and even the older family members I thought would be surefire bets have done the same, or the ones who kept it don't have TSN.  

Can't go to a pub as I'm on duty in case my toddler wakes up.  But internet streams are easy to come by in the meanwhile.  And on the plus side I laid in some really great beers on the way home from work yesterday!  Belgian trappist beers, so the second half is probably going to look a bit hazy anyway.

Not sure if the person with the cable needs to have TSN (I don't think it matters because it may be included anyway on most packages) or if the providers listed all carry TSN (likely), it's worth checking the providers that you can log in to on the TSN site.

Check last post in thread, if you know someone with one of those you are good to go

Not that I am advocating doing this as it is for informative purposes only.

Just a last off topic post for informative purposes.  Bestbuy is now selling a refurbished Insignia Win 10 tablet (Bestbuy's in house brand) for 69 bucks.  It is under powered obviously, but I've read and watched reviews and it will get the job done and has an HDMI port for connecting to the TV.  For that price you can't go wrong (I hope) I just ordered two.

I have a friend who just wants to listen to streamed music on her night table before bed time and my sister needs one to go down south with.  At that price who cares if you lose it.

If anybody cares I'll report back in a week to see if it was a great bargain or a piece of junk.

As someone who is irrationally superstitious about sports (but nothing else), I am doing my best to support from south of the border (moved to San Jose in 2014): 

- Wearing my chevron Canada soccer jersey

- Listening to only Canadian music at work

- Have abstained from eating Mexican food all week, and for lunch had the Mexican guy in our cafeteria make me a bison burger. 

This has to be good karma, right? Man, I wish I could be in Vancouver right now...

3 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

As someone who is irrationally superstitious about sports (but nothing else), I am doing my best to support from south of the border (moved to San Jose in 2014): 

- Wearing my chevron Canada soccer jersey

- Listening to only Canadian music at work

- Have abstained from eating Mexican food all week, and for lunch had the Mexican guy in our cafeteria make me a bison burger. 

This has to be good karma, right? Man, I wish I could be in Vancouver right now...

Don't know about that kit, that was one ugly mfa. 

Just out of curiosity what music, I'm on an Abraham's Children thing lately. 

And lastly isn't it good to avoid Mexican food as a normal way of life.  Last time I went to a Mexican restaurant I could literally smell the grease coming out of my pores.

7 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Don't know about that kit, that was one ugly mfa. 

Just out of curiosity what music, I'm on an Abraham's Children thing lately. 

And lastly isn't it good to avoid Mexican food as a normal way of life.  Last time I went to a Mexican restaurant I could literally smell the grease coming out of my pores.

Yeah that was my point; it's ugly and I still am wearing it. I really should request a new MNT jersey for my birthday this year.

My musical tastes may vary from yours, but my playlist right now is filled with Metric, treble charger, I Mother Earth, Tragically Hip, Billy Talent and the Jimmy Swift Band. Or anything I can listen to for free on Apple music.

Mexican food is ubiquitous here in Northern California, and in general is quite different from what I was used to in Canada. As someone who loves a burrito, actively choosing a bison burger was tough. May the soccer gods reward me!

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

My question for today.  Does the Arf see the Field tonight?

Oh yeah... I'd bet on it.  If not a starter certainly a sub.

Only scenario I couldn't see it is if he didn't start and Canada is trying to hold a lead (best case scenario)

Should start though IMO.  If Ricketts is out there over him I'll be a little ticked.

The Gospel according to Benito

The former Real Madrid boss has revealed that he came close to taking the Roja job prior to Luis Aragones' appointment in 2004
Khalis Rifhan Goal.com EXCLUSIVE Feb 28, 2013

Former Real Madrid boss Benito Flores has revealed that he came close to becoming Spain coach in the wake of Euro 2004.

Luis Aragones eventually took the post vacated by Inaki Saez, who had recommended the 60-year-old for the post upon taking up a role with the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

“After the European Championship in Portugal, the coach [Saez] resigned and he became director of football, and he recommended [to the RFEF] that I became the new head coach of Spain," he told Goal.com.

“He recommended me due to my vision of the game and [how] my playing style fit in well with the way the youth teams were being prepared, which was the main reason for the massive success of the Spanish national team.

“But unfortunately, due to circumstances that were beyond my control at that time, it was not possible.”

Floro went on to discuss the high standard of coaching instruction in Spain, in which he plays an active role as a mentor.

“Fifty years ago in Spain, the federation created a school for coaches of the highest level with highly qualified instructors of the highest level in the three most important aspects of football - strategy, technical ability and physical preparation,” he explained.

“Because of this, the standard of coaches in Spain is very high due to the difficulty levels of the coaching courses in Spain.

“Sooner or later this had to yield its fruits, and people now understand that it is much better to play an attacking combination game instead of say, counterattacks or long ball attacks.

“My work as a coach and instructor isn't for me to judge; however, it is evident that what I have learned from my instructors, I put into practice on the field and with aspiring coaches that I myself instruct.

“A coach has two important missions: teach his players to improve on an individual basis daily and also to teach his team to play whatever way they need to, on any kind of pitch, in any kind of circumstances to obtain the desired result."

2 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Oh yeah... I'd bet on it.  If not a starter certainly a sub.

Only scenario I couldn't see it is if he didn't start and Canada is trying to hold a lead (best case scenario)

Should start though IMO.  If Ricketts is out there over him I'll be a little ticked.

To me he has to be head and shoulders above his competition because Floro wants familiarity with his system (defensive) and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him.

1 hour ago, MLDBanks said:

As annouced by Canada Soccer's Twitter:

Canadian Captain Julian De Guzman will be honoured prior to the match for setting the CanMNT all-time appearances record.

Just don't tire him out. Going to be a challenge to keep up the pace for 90', as it is, given his age and the lack of even one(1) competitive game this season. Will be remarkable if he pulls it off.

8 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The Gospel according to Benito

The former Real Madrid boss has revealed that he came close to taking the Roja job prior to Luis Aragones' appointment in 2004
Khalis Rifhan Goal.com EXCLUSIVE Feb 28, 2013

Former Real Madrid boss Benito Flores has revealed that he came close to becoming Spain coach in the wake of Euro 2004.

Luis Aragones eventually took the post vacated by Inaki Saez, who had recommended the 60-year-old for the post upon taking up a role with the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

“After the European Championship in Portugal, the coach [Saez] resigned and he became director of football, and he recommended [to the RFEF] that I became the new head coach of Spain," he told Goal.com.

“He recommended me due to my vision of the game and [how] my playing style fit in well with the way the youth teams were being prepared, which was the main reason for the massive success of the Spanish national team.

“But unfortunately, due to circumstances that were beyond my control at that time, it was not possible.”

Floro went on to discuss the high standard of coaching instruction in Spain, in which he plays an active role as a mentor.

“Fifty years ago in Spain, the federation created a school for coaches of the highest level with highly qualified instructors of the highest level in the three most important aspects of football - strategy, technical ability and physical preparation,” he explained.

“Because of this, the standard of coaches in Spain is very high due to the difficulty levels of the coaching courses in Spain.

“Sooner or later this had to yield its fruits, and people now understand that it is much better to play an attacking combination game instead of say, counterattacks or long ball attacks.

“My work as a coach and instructor isn't for me to judge; however, it is evident that what I have learned from my instructors, I put into practice on the field and with aspiring coaches that I myself instruct.

“A coach has two important missions: teach his players to improve on an individual basis daily and also to teach his team to play whatever way they need to, on any kind of pitch, in any kind of circumstances to obtain the desired result."

Not to mention: select the right tactics and players for the circumstances. On tactics: I'm very curious and apprehensive about how we will line up to defend free kicks.

8 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

To me he has to be head and shoulders above his competition because Floro wants familiarity with his system (defensive) and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see him.

I agree.  The reason I could see it is his competition on the right will be Ricketts, and he's in a position where defensive responsibility is slightly less important on the wing (if that's where he plays).

Wouldn't be surprised either way but hope he features, I've been really disappointed with Ricketts against tougher competition.

Might be an unpopular opinion but even tho Ricketts knows the system. Arfield is still head over heels better than Ricketts and i will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't start

I think our coaching staff should be able to introduce a player like Arfield to the system with a week of practices. 

Unless Arfield didn't respond well in training I feel like he should start over a weaker player like Ricketts.

3 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Question for the uk / euro folk, are you staying up all night or sleeping for a bit and walking up before kick off?

Sleeping for a bit, hoping to wake up for the game, then get some good sleep in so I can actually play my game tomorrow

Archived