WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still in Vietnam so I will have to watch recordings of the upcoming matches following my return.  For starting selection I'm guessing:  Edgar reclaims his place ahead of Straith (who should be a first choice DM sub); the RB spot is a toss up between Ouimette and Henry; Larin will start but give way to Haber; and new boy Arfield will be a sub.  I'm particularly interested in seeing how JDG does and how long he lasts in this match.

Floro's first priority is defending (see his recent interview in RNO), so his tactics and selection will continue to reflect that.

Finally, I hope the home support is rocking like it was when I attended the Honduras game.  Man, I wish I could be there.

14 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm still in Vietnam so I will have to watch recordings of the upcoming matches following my return.  For starting selection I'm guessing:  Edgar reclaims his place ahead of Straith (who should be a first choice DM sub); the RB spot is a toss up between Ouimette and Henry; Larin will start but give way to Haber; and new boy Arfield will be a sub.  I'm particularly interested in seeing how JDG does and how long he lasts in this match.

Floro's first priority is defending (see his recent interview in RNO), so his tactics and selection will continue to reflect that.

Finally, I hope the home support is rocking like it was when I attended the Honduras game.  Man, I wish I could be there.

over 50,000 tickets sold. it will be rocking

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

If your in an area that has Internet then use this site to live stream the game 

www.stream2watch.co

It's almost 3am here on the west coast and I'm reading msg boards repeatedly to try to quell my excitement (and nervousness) about this game.

If you're like me and can't seem to get enough before Friday, here are a couple of good podcasts you can download. 

FTBL (From the back line) ep. 121, and The AFTN soccer podcast episode 151. Lots of good insight into Friday's game. 

Just two more sleeps! If I can get any. 

Good analysis of possible Tri lineup, here. Looks like they want to attack in a 4-3-3, so our best counter would be to populate the midfield to outnumber them. They also argue their attack is currently their weakest link: 

http://laseleccion.com.mx/mexico-once-inicial-vs-canada-eliminatorias-rusia-2018

Are you aware Carlos Vela was not called because his club Real Sociedad asked them not to, since he was caught missing training and lying about it, he was in a party the night before in Madrid and not ill as he'd said.

And an interesting article about how their "puto!" cheer when keepers kick out at Azteca could make them lose points or be sanctioned for being homophobic. Some great comments, including some saying they should just say "FIFA", as a euphemism, everyone will know what they are talking about. 

http://laseleccion.com.mx/canticos-racistas-tri-corre-riesgo-de-quita-de-puntos

On 23/3/2016 at 4:31 PM, aloyol said:

That's the point where we should have a debate about what is best for our team. Starting a player who isn't seeing much PT in the  strongest second division in the world or a guy like Arfield who's seeing a lot of PT at a lesser level. Should be an interesting debate!

This idea that teams in Unattached FC are in the best 2nd division in the world, now there's something to really discuss. Anybody?

Three big starting lineup questions for me ahead of this game

1. Arfield or Ricketts on the right

2. Who will play alongside Edgar in the centre: Jakovic (Gold cup), Straith(v Honduras)...or does Vitoria/Henry get in?

3. At right back, for me, it's between Ledgerwood and Ouimette,  Nik seems to always get the start when he is called....

Archived