WCQ - Canada vs. Mexico Mar. 25th, 2016 Pre-Game Thread

BrennanFan

I am generally confused by the fact that there have been a ton of secondary market sales the past 3-4 days (all relative, maybe like 1K), my Mexican friends in Cali who said before they don't care are now coming to Vancouver (which I assume is a general sentiment), and yet as you said the Mexican sections in the upper bowl still have a ton of seats left.

I saw in an article Mont Vic said there might be up to 5K Mexican supporters which seems laughably low to me.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current (albeit drunken) state is, who cares how many Mexicans show up. It's out of our hands and for once, I'm satisfied that the csa did all it could to ensure home support. It's as futile as hoping for good weather. Not up to us. Let's just control what we can control. 50k at home for a wcq. Enjoy every second. And do as every true Voyageur does, keep some hope (however meek and fragile) that we might actually get a result.

I heard the Montigliani interview too and I would guess minimum 15,000 mexicans. Maybe 20,000. Who cares?

We don't get a ton of meaningful games. Let's just show up, be loud, and excited. Say what you will but I truly believe this is a watershed moment for Canadian soccer and us V's. 

I for one have thought about this game at least daily since the calendar turned. Let's just do what we can and let the rest take care of itself. 

Worry is just interest paid on trouble before it's due... said some guy sometime.

Is it Friday yet?

Last night a horde of Mexicans went to greet their team at the airport in Van.  The Mexican team refused to come out and greet them due to lack of security, ie. they were scared of their own fans.  The fans quickly turned on them, vicious insults and chants can be heard below.  Amazing.  

We've played Mexico at home 3 times in the last 20 years. The total attendance at those 3 matches, home and away fans combined, has never exceeded 14k. When we played them in Seattle in Gold Cup '13, the total attendance was 28k, including several thousand Canadians, plus a smattering of neutral locals and Panamanian and Martinicans. None of those matches sold out. 

If 30,000 Mexicans didn't show up for those games, when thousands of tickets were available to anyone who wanted them, why are we worried about those kinds of numbers in Vancouver, when measures have been taken to favour a pro-Canada crowd? 

I'm predicting a crowd of 51k on Friday, with 35k supporting Canada.

1 hour ago, Markus said:

My current (albeit drunken) state is, who cares how many Mexicans show up. It's out of our hands and for once, I'm satisfied that the csa did all it could to ensure home support. It's as futile as hoping for good weather. Not up to us. Let's just control what we can control. 50k at home for a wcq. Enjoy every second. And do as every true Voyageur does, keep some hope (however meek and fragile) that we might actually get a result.

I heard the Montigliani interview too and I would guess minimum 15,000 mexicans. Maybe 20,000. Who cares?

We don't get a ton of meaningful games. Let's just show up, be loud, and excited. Say what you will but I truly believe this is a watershed moment for Canadian soccer and us V's. 

I for one have thought about this game at least daily since the calendar turned. Let's just do what we can and let the rest take care of itself. 

Worry is just interest paid on trouble before it's due... said some guy sometime.

Is it Friday yet?

Totally agree. 

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Last night a horde of Mexicans went to greet their team at the airport in Van.  The Mexican team refused to come out and greet them due to lack of security, ie. they were scared of their own fans.  The fans quickly turned on them, vicious insults and chants can be heard below.  Amazing.  

Thats the difference playing here and USA and playing in Central and South America.  At the airport, you'd have riot gear mikitary, making sure local and opposibg fans aren't unruly.  The Mexicans didn't expect to see fans close up, but thsn again, they didn't ask the CSA for protection.  I would think that in the future Canada should at least have even rent a cops making sure all opposing fans aren't that close up or expect worse treatment at the airport for our players. 

don't worry...you WILL see many Mexican fans around, they are probably the most well supported in Concacaf, but this time we have a large contingent....LET'S BE LOUD....get the folks behind you a few rows up chanting....sometimes a little encouragement and helping them hear the words is all they need to get into it.

19 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Thats the difference playing here and USA and playing in Central and South America.  At the airport, you'd have riot gear mikitary, making sure local and opposibg fans aren't unruly.  The Mexicans didn't expect to see fans close up, but thsn again, they didn't ask the CSA for protection.  I would think that in the future Canada should at least have even rent a cops making sure all opposing fans aren't that close up or expect worse treatment at the airport for our players. 

While I take your point, this is not the first time we've had Mexico or another Central American team arrive in Canada for a game and it's been okay so far.

3 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

While I take your point, this is not the first time we've had Mexico or another Central American team arrive in Canada for a game and it's been okay so far.

Canadians are pretty civilized, which is why its a great country to have families here, but all it takes is one jackass to wreck all that.  Thr Stanley Cup riots are a lesson that there always are troublemakers spoiling it for the rest of us.

5 hours ago, king1010 said:

Shit. Im getting a bit worried about the makeup of the crowd. 

But i mean thousands of tickets have moved in the past week. Youd think mexicans would have got their tickets way before then. Also the mexican supporters section still has plenty of seats available, unless of course the Mexicans found a way to get around the IP address and purchase in other parts of the stadium

I wasn't able to make it to this game, but I talk about it all the time to anyone willing to listen. I have convinced two friends travelling to Vancouver this weekend to go and they aren't even soccer fans. 

Let's all keep talking about the game and creating that exposure! 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

The shot at 0:50 of the bench celebrating with the flags waving in the background gives me goosebumps! 

Floro stoic as it comes. 

Big game, hope we have the Canadian support in full swing and noise level louder than ever. Fingers crossed for a sell out. What an achievement that would be. 

This is going to be absolutely massive. I can't wait! 

Pumped for Arfield to make his debut. 

Everyone notes how good Junior was on his debut, but just recall for a second how good both him and Hutchinson were in particular. They played together in a way that top players do - they brought the best out of each other. 

Now imagine what will happen with Arfield, Hoilett and Hutchinson all playing off each other. The impact will be compounded that much more!

I honestly feel that we are going to take points here - and we can win. I honestly believe that!

That is if Arfield even starts.  I can't see Floro trusting a player in his first international match on such a big stage to follow his system.  No doubt Floro will want a rigid system with players he knows going up against Mexico.  

Arfield will start.  He is a massive jump up in skill and I would imagine even Floro might let him do a little adventuring offensively if everyone else is sticking with the system.  A little bit of a wild card for the mexicans to worry about, god knows we dont have many of those.  

Archived