Stadium March for Canada vs Mexico

Admin

I posted this in the fb event, but I thought I'd share here too. I think it's self-explanatory.

Listen folks. It's the time before a big important game that I start to get nervous and neurotic. This is especially true this time with Mexico being the opponent and the huge crowd. Mexico is a tough opponent, of course, and there will be sizeable away support. The size of that support is just another thing to get nervous and neurotic about.
It's time to stop all that.
On the podcast that I do with Jeff Salisbury and Lars Matthew, From the Black Hole, we recently interviewed Canadian Men's National Team assistant coach, Micheal Findlay. I found it very interesting how he talked about the change in mentality of the Men's National Team players, from a mentality where they felt they were always up against tremendous odds, to one where they were confident they could achieve things that they once thought were beyond them.
It's time for us to change our mentality too.
Worrying about the performance, worrying about the size of the away support, worrying that soccer isn't the sport of choice in Canada, etc, etc, is all born of pointless insecurities. Enough already. Regardless of our current opponent, we have a decent chance of making the hex. Regardless of the away support, we might set a record for highest attendance at a National Team match. Let's do the things we CAN do to enjoy this and the things we NEED to do to create the atmosphere for our boys in red.
Get to the pre-game early. Get your friends there too.
Link up with others in The Voyageurs family.
Leave for the match on time.
Sing your heart out.
Follow your capo and be coordinated.
Enjoy the ride.
Enjoy the after party no matter what, and remember we just witnessed history in the making.

3 hours ago, tarnado1555362291 said:

are we doing anything for JDG? banner? maybe a headshot from his afro days...

If a dedicated chant is planned, I've always thought a De Guzman song to the tune of 'This Old Man' would work brilliantly. 

?De Guzman, he played one,

Beat Martinique in the pens.

With a nicknack, paddy whack,

Give the ball to Jools.

De Guzman will lead us home. ?

Can we come up with another 85 stanzas, one for each of his caps? :P

5 minutes ago, ClashCitySoccer said:

This would be more of a serenade than a chant, but I think it could work

To the tune of Hey Jude by The Beatles

Hey Jules, don't play it back
Take a touch 'round, the first defender
Remember to look for Cyle in the box
Then you can cross for him to header

That is fantastic. 

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If a dedicated chant is planned, I've always thought a De Guzman song to the tune of 'This Old Man' would work brilliantly. 

?De Guzman, he played one,

Beat Martinique in the pens.

With a nicknack, paddy whack,

Give the ball to Jools.

De Guzman will lead us home. ?

Can we come up with another 85 stanzas, one for each of his caps? :P

Someone came up with years back

DeGuzman he scored one 

Got the ticos on the run

With a nick nack paddywhack give the ball to jules

Deguzman he fucking rules.

40 minutes ago, ClashCitySoccer said:

Hey Jules, in red you're clad

We're all with you, in this together

We love you from the bottoms of our hearts

We owe you thanks forever and ever...ever...ever

Na   na na nananana ..

nananana

Hey Jules

This is fantastic. Full stop.

8 hours ago, ClashCitySoccer said:

That sounds like a great idea! I'll be flying in thursday so I can make myself available to help out if anyone wants to make one :)

Ill be in Vancouver wed Maybe we can put something together.  

What do you thing about people wearing a fro wig while he gets honoured??  I think I have one

Anyone know where people could get cheap wigs in Vancouver?

I have 21 going. We will make sure that we will join in the March to the Stadium with yourselves. 

How about this chant.

Were Red Were White Were Fucken dynamite Canadaaaa Canadaaaa.

and how about the 

I believe that we will win.  Chant.

JDG turns 35 on Friday. It'd be nice to close out the pre-match ceremony with a stadium-wide rendition of 'Happy Birthday' with a transition into 'We love you, Julian'

Simple and effective way to get the casuals comfortable with the idea of singing during the match, I think. 

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

JDG turns 35 on Friday. It'd be nice to close out the pre-match ceremony with a stadium-wide rendition of 'Happy Birthday' with a transition into 'We love you, Julian'

Simple and effective way to get the casuals comfortable with the idea of singing during the match, I think. 

I like this

Archived