Canadians abroad: March 18-24, 2016

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 18-24, 2016.
  • If you find updates posted in some other thread then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.
  • If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.
  • Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to the Ponferradina manager's press conference today, Fabri is his name, was asked about Hume being left off the team after a poor match the week before. He says in their training match yesterday he was pleasantly surprised, he played Humey on the right wing and he said, "made me think maybe he is more a wing player than an up-front striker", so hopefully he'll be back in the squad. Good to hear there is no grudge going on. Actually the coach sounds like a hard knocks but fair guy.

When asked about Hume and others going to their national teams, Fabri said it made it hard to prepare a match since he was especially losing strikers and could not train 11 vs 11 properly during the week

I was thinking that Floro calling him up, perhaps undeservedly, had to do with Benito wanting to push Hume's coach at Ponferradina a bit, make him wonder about playing him or not.

I say undeservedly since both Cavallini and Jackson are doing more in the last few months.

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Listening to the Ponferradina manager's press conference today, Fabri is his name, was asked about Hume being left off the team after a poor match the week before. He says in their training match yesterday he was pleasantly surprised, he played Humey on the right wing and he said, "made me think maybe he is more a wing player than an up-front striker", so hopefully he'll be back in the squad. Good to hear there is no grudge going on. Actually the coach sounds like a hard knocks but fair guy.

When asked about Hume and others going to their national teams, Fabri said it made it hard to prepare a match since he was especially losing strikers and could not train 11 vs 11 properly during the week

I was thinking that Floro calling him up, perhaps undeservedly, had to do with Benito wanting to push Hume's coach at Ponferradina a bit, make him wonder about playing him or not.

I say undeservedly since both Cavallini and Jackson are doing more in the last few months.

I can't see that being the case and I really hope it isn't.  This is our biggest set of matches since 2012, we can't afford to be looking after a 32 year old nomadic striker's club career.  Maybe Hume impressed Floro on the wing as well?  Judging by the roster that would be the case.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone who can actually type "a Spanish team", as you did on the other thread, so that spit and bile fly off the screen is your classic example of a culturally arrogant and biased human. 

What are you on about Jeff?  

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyone who can actually type "a Spanish team", as you did on the other thread, so that spit and bile fly off the screen is your classic example of a culturally arrogant and biased human. 

Yeah Keegan, why do you hate Spain so much? We must duel at sunset before the match to defend the honour of our Spanish based players and our fellow Voyageur who lives in the city where the love of the glory of Spain is unmatched throughout the world! Viva España and Muerte to culturally arrogant and biased humans whose spit and bile flies off our computer screens!!!

41 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hume called up for Ponferradina home vs Huesca tomorrow, playing in a higher league than Hoillet and Jackson (though Anglo-bias and probably a bit of cultural ignorance refuse to admit it), Miki Cantave called up for Guadalajara in 2B, they play vs Ebro in Zaragoza.

lol

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Yeah Keegan, why do you hate Spain so much? We must duel at sunset before the match to defend the honour of our Spanish based players and our fellow Voyageur who lives in the city where the love of the glory of Spain is unmatched throughout the world! Viva España and Muerte to culturally arrogant and biased humans whose spit and bile flies off our computer screens!!!

Hey Grizz, replace Spain with Russia and Keegan for any one of its many detractors here and you are speaking to yourself.:lol: Only for that one it involved 15 posts and 20,000 words!!

Anyways, Barcelona is not even in Spain.

Haber says "chat shit, get banged" and scores again for Crewe. They lost 2-1 and missed a penalty in extra time. The penalty was not taken by Haber.

Hoilett played 90, was subbed off in injury time for QPR. Petrasso did not feature off the bench.

Edgar played 90 for Sheffield United.

Gasparotto played 90 for Greenock Morton.

Jackson did not feature off the bench for Blackburn.

Zanatta did not feature off the bench for Hearts.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hume called up for Ponferradina home vs Huesca tomorrow, playing in a higher league than Hoillet and Jackson (though Anglo-bias and probably a bit of cultural ignorance refuse to admit it), Miki Cantave called up for Guadalajara in 2B, they play vs Ebro in Zaragoza.

Since you are accusing others of being biased, I am curious if you can admit your own bias as well. Can you?

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Haber says "chat shit, get banged" and scores again for Crewe. They lost 2-1 and missed a penalty in extra time. The penalty was not taken by Haber.

Hoilett played 90, was subbed off in injury time for QPR. Petrasso did not feature off the bench.

Edgar played 90 for Sheffield United.

Gasparotto played 90 for Greenock Morton.

Jackson did not feature off the bench for Blackburn.

Zanatta did not feature off the bench for Hearts.

Arfield also played the full 90. Both Qpr and Burnley let in late goals to end up with 1-1 draws.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Since you are accusing others of being biased, I am curious if you can admit your own bias as well. Can you?

He is from Spain after all. I have no anglo bias and I can confiedently say England's lower tiers (including the championship) are better than Spains.

I think I am being totally fair. Spain's top flight is the best in the world and the second division is the best 2nd. In Spain, if you are good in 2nd you get to play in the best league, and in England the best  in Championship get to play in the 3rd best. I read scores of honest EPL fans in forums across the English press admit EPL is overhyped and killing itself in the process.

I have also inequivocally affirmed on this board that League One and Two are the best third and fourth tiers in the world hands down. Because they are single divisions over the entire nation, unlike most everywhere else. We have discussed this at some length here, I have no problem admitting where Spain is weak, I do it all the time. 

Another thing is that no one on this board had ever heard of Ponferrada before Hume was signed, I mean the city (except those who remember Nsaliwa played there) while getting off in front of the altar of any proverbial Championship scrub. 

But the whole point is that no one here would accept snide comments wondering why we should call up Hoillet just because he plays for some team in England, because it is unfairly dissing Hume, and more than unfairly dissing the level of his club (who are losing a few players to international call-ups next week, by the way; when Hume plays at Ponfe he could be sitting a Liberian, Ukrainian or Montenegro international).

Archived