PREDICTIONS CAN/MEX 25 & 29 Mar.2016

MtlMario

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

This Mexico team is not a voodoo team AT ALL ,  for god's sake,  get some grip fellows..... Canada can beat them at home with the correct approach....and away is still doable/....cut the crappy inferior syndrome....you know inferiority complex in footie.......We beat them for fun all the time,  and they hate and curse our european guts, looks......and background....just because we are mostly blonde....... bring them to their knees home and away....  

Have you actually ever been to Canada?

1 hour ago, JAVIERF said:

Once,  pal!!   Im sad that Bunbury's son doesnt play for you,  i think his father is the one to look up and blame

I admit that I have just consumed an inordinate amount of rum, but this leaves me confused. Do you really have 93 posts, including ones that chastise our caution about the Nats, on the grounds that you were here once and have some sense of Canadian footy support?  There is hopeful optimism, and then there is deluded cheerleading.  Saying that "we beat [Mexico] for fun" either falls into the latter category or is some subtle form of irony that escapes me at the moment.  

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I admit that I have just consumed an inordinate amount of rum, but this leaves me confused. Do you really have 93 posts, including ones that chastise our caution about the Nats, on the grounds that you were here once and have some sense of Canadian footy support?  There is hopeful optimism, and then there is deluded cheerleading.  Saying that "we beat [Mexico] for fun" either falls into the latter category or is some subtle form of irony that escapes me at the moment.  

Javier is from Argentina (?) and I believe he means they beat Mexico for fun, not Canada. Javier has explained that he has an affinity for Canada's MNT and that's why he posts here.

For what it's worth, I appreciate the somewhat objective opinions. 

Javier if you ever make it back to Canada and I'm around I'd love to buy you a beer.

Javier has a point - we are known to put our opponents on a pedestal.

Are Mexico a good team? absolutely. 

Can we beat them? yes, of course!

I see smaller teams beat bigger teams in one-off games ALL the time, even in WCQ.

How many times have I pulled my hair out watching Nigeria draw or lose to a team ranked 50 places or more beneath them in WCQ or ACON qualifying? I lost count a long time ago. 

This is not an Andorra versus Spain style mismatch. We have some quality players who have suited up against equal of better players then what Mexico has. Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett, heck even De Guzman have gone up against some great players in their careers. Arfield, Hoilett and Hutchinson in particular are players that Mexico will be concerned about, and so they should be.

I don't think our players are going to fear them, nor should our fans!

I alternatively hate and enjoy these prediction threads. I'm not going to give a prediction. Too much bad karma. 

On the other hand, these make me think back to our match vs Colombia where we defended stalwartly and it took an excellent play on a quick free kick to beat us. Throw in home field advantage in Vancouver (hopefully), and against Mexico it's quite conceivable that we can do the business.

If Leicester City can win the freakin' Premier League -- a whole-season endeavour against numerous teams with the basically unlimited capacity to strengthen their own squads -- then we can sure as hell beat Mexico in a one-off at home.

I'm not saying we will (like Rob, these prediction threads scare the hell out of me), but I agree there's no benefit to conceding defeat ahead of time, except to shield oneself from the emotional pain of hoping for a positive result and not having it happen.

But hey, such emotional pain is part and parcel of following this team, right?

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Javier has a point - we are known to put our opponents on a pedestal.

Are Mexico a good team? absolutely. 

Can we beat them? yes, of course!

I see smaller teams beat bigger teams in one-off games ALL the time, even in WCQ.

How many times have I pulled my hair out watching Nigeria draw or lose to a team ranked 50 places or more beneath them in WCQ or ACON qualifying? I lost count a long time ago. 

This is not an Andorra versus Spain style mismatch. We have some quality players who have suited up against equal of better players then what Mexico has. Hutchinson, Arfield, Hoilett, heck even De Guzman have gone up against some great players in their careers. Arfield, Hoilett and Hutchinson in particular are players that Mexico will be concerned about, and so they should be.

I don't think our players are going to fear them, nor should our fans!

It's more Like a Germany vs Repubic of Ireland type of game. Ireland won at home.

YOU HAVE TO RESPECT YOUR FOOTIE RIVALS  BY BEATING THEM AND KICK THEM IN THE BUTT after you scored a screamer  fellows....that's why is hard to play against southamerican teams,   Paraguay is hard done and Uruguay as well,  Chile are known as cheaters and the same goes to Peru, southamerican players  they love to play against african nations because they label african players as naives and they can cheat them better,  african players are noble and in a way similar to the european, usa , canada and jamaica trinidad haiti ....  the koreans and mexicans,  honduras  costa rican, sel salvador  are alike they kick ya , they cheat all over the park and the fall all over the pitch

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I'd like to see them all take professional yellows in Van so they miss Mexico away, our least important match.

Losing them for El Salvador home match in September would be disastrous.

The ES match is the last match ... H. away is 5th, but your point stands.  Still, we could always rest some players away at Mex if they are on a yellow, thereby making them available for the H. away game.  I would only do this with JH though since: i. We have more depth now than in the past, and ii. It sends a really negative message if we rest, say, Hutch, WJ, JDG, etc.

On March 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM, canta15 said:

It's more Like a Germany vs Repubic of Ireland type of game. Ireland won at home.

Or when Venezuela/Bolivia beat Argentina at home

We can definitely get a result, but I question our team's mental strength.  I'd love to be proved wrong though and it's possible with new additions like Arfield, Hoilett and Larin that we have a new belief.  I think added in to guys like De Guzman, Hutchinson, Hume, Johnson, Edgar, Borjan we have a good group of driven players that seem to gel nicely.  

Still, I see this going down like the home Gold Cup match.

0-0 and a 3-1 loss away   

15 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

isnt a few years back  canada fought with radzinski and his group a  2/2  at home and a narrow defeat away...canada was winning at some point

You're right. This was in 2008, qualifying for South Africa. Canada lost 2-1 away to Mexico that round (Gerba) and drew with 10 men 2-2 in Edmonton (Gerba, Radzinski), though the latter match was after Mexico had the group pretty well won. The away leg was not at Azteca, but in Chiapas.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

You're right. This was in 2008, qualifying for South Africa. Canada lost 2-1 away to Mexico that round (Gerba) and drew with 10 men 2-2 in Edmonton (Gerba, Radzinski), though the latter match was after Mexico had the group pretty well won. The away leg was not at Azteca, but in Chiapas.

You're right but we actually had 11 men and Mexico needed that point.  Actually if they didn't get that point they would have been eliminated, they ended up losing the next match away to Honduras and were tied at 10 points with Jamaica and went through on goal differential.  

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

You're right but we actually had 11 men and Mexico needed that point.  Actually if they didn't get that point they would have been eliminated, they ended up losing the next match away to Honduras and were tied at 10 points with Jamaica and went through on goal differential.  

You're right. I was remembering de Jong get sent off but he actually went off injured.

Fun fact, though, from searching the CSA site for that result: the last time Mexico scored more than 2 goals in a match against Canada was in 1997.

Archived