Andreas Vaikla

Vince193

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I still think he is good enough that he can challenge for the starting U-23 keeper spot if he files his one-time switch for Canada; at senior level he would still be behind Borjan and Crépeau, so his senior team prospects are equally poor with Canada. 

I dont know, we have what seems like dozens of montreal kids playing keeper in Italy, haha.  And if he is just switching from 5th choice Estonia to 4th choice Canada...not a big upgrade eh?? I am still think Leutwiler has got to be 3rd choice for us...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has moved to mid-table Estonian team JK Narva Trans. Had offers in Scandinavia but they were all as backup keeper. Narva told him he'd get a fair shot at being a starter. He's been a backup keeper for a while now and really wants to get playing time.

The season starts March 6th.

Nothing about his international intentions (stick with Estonia or a switch to U23 Canada) but it sure looks like Canada is not in his plans!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 1 year later...

played games in top tier sweden..played some champions league qualifying games..starter in top tier finland..then dropped to backup in multiple leagues and now going to d3 usa..really nothing to do with injury

Vaikla played in Allvskenstan, if he can get back to that level he definitely is good enough  for CanMNT 

A big If. But if he impresses at the USL League level then possibly First team MLS contract 

Also TFC finally signed a canadian keeper, about time!

• 4 months later...

I watched a few TFC2 games on youtube and Vaikla didn't really stand out as anything spectacular to me, solid, but nothing really stood out as elite but then again playing behind teenagers in D3 could also be a reason, if you're not being put in a great position. Also, watching on youtube isn't the greatest.

He didn't run away with the starting job (has played 12 of 26 matches), although he has the most appearances (Caleb PatteronSewell [player-coach] has 10, Kevin Silva [TFC #3] has 4, and Brogan Engbers has 0). Only managed 2 clean sheets (CPS had 1 and Silva had 1).  It's not like it's planned squad rotation, since TFC2 is more than okay with starting some players almost every match (ie. Petrasso, Franklin, Carlini) and he's sat a lot so that a 34 year old coach could play instead on a development team (although maybe the logic was throwing a veteran keeper to help the young defenders learn).

Edited by rydermike

i am pretty sure he won team of the week a couple times...has looked decent with a porous defense in front of him, but that level is so LOOOOWWWW, its hard to tell.  And i wouldnt read anything into the fact that the player coach is playing so much...what the hell does make sense around TFC thses days?? I guess Sewell needs to stay sharp in case Bono, Westberg and Silva all catch covid.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

i am pretty sure he won team of the week a couple times...has looked decent with a porous defense in front of him, but that level is so LOOOOWWWW, its hard to tell.  And i wouldnt read anything into the fact that the player coach is playing so much...what the hell does make sense around TFC thses days?? I guess Sewell needs to stay sharp in case Bono, Westberg and Silva all catch covid.  

I didn't mean it as in he was bad, just nothing made me go "He should definitely be on the first team". But like you said, the level is so low that it makes it hard to judge a keeper. Updated my post a bit to clarify thst. He's definitely been solid, just didn't really see anything that made me go he's an definite MLS keeper/future national team call-up. Granted I've only seen him play maybe 4/5 times, not all 12 and its tough to gauge a keeper in short bursts (and on YouTube, instead of live since you can only see what's on screen). I'd love for him to get back up to the level he was at being a Champions League keeper is quite an accomplishment at a young age. 

Edited by rydermike

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...