Andreas Vaikla

Vince193

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

do we really need him?  Borjan has a good 3-4 years left. Crepeau is on the best form of his career and the future seems to be in good hands with Busti, Breza and Pantemis.

Am I the only one underwhelmed by that list? That "future" could easily not pan out and if Borjan gets injured our depth is pretty thin.

Definitely the more the merrier for me. Especially professional keepers who've made significant first team appearances.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently playing for Estonia's U-21 team but that doesn't mean much because we can still cap him at senior level unless Estonia manages to. However, he would have more of a future playing for us rather than Estonia.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but did anyone else notice Vaikla's post on Instagram with the Bosnian GK? I just stumbled on this.

Posted a day after we got eliminated from WCQ 2018 :(

Posted a day after both players help Canada qualify to the Hex if you subscribe to the multiverse theory

24 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

The most daring formation of all, when you need to beat El Salvador by a lot, is the 2 GK formation. A calculated risk that paid off!

really? cause in my universe Begovic played up top. that was the key to him getting his hattrick. I still remember his last goal too because boakai's great assist. Jeez Real Madrid got such a bargain for him! 

Edited by badname22

On 6/7/2018 at 6:15 PM, honestseveran said:

A bigger pool is always better. They can all fight it out for starting spots.

Yeah and whoever the best goalkeeper is will be the one who we have starting forward. Our goalkeeping future is pretty much set for the next few years going into the next decade after at least.

3 hours ago, badname22 said:

really? cause in my universe Begovic played up top. that was the key to him getting his hattrick. I still remember his last goal too because boakai's great assist. Jeez Real Madrid got such a bargain for him! 

That's fine. There's enough universes for everyone!

On July 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM, deschamp86 said:

Posted a day after both players help Canada qualify to the Hex if you subscribe to the multiverse theory

Just as an aside (I am also a BBC Earth-watching cosmo-nerd) the multiverse theory is pretty nuts - yet strongly implied by one of the dominant theories about cosmological evolution.  Pretty mind blowing stuff. 

• 1 month later...

This has to be the strangest defection of all unless Canada has literally never called him.  So you’re going to play turn your back on your country for Estonia who have no shot at qualifying for anything.. and on the flip side you could probably walk into the Canadian senior side and into an assured position for Gold cups and a World Cup or two.  Just dumb but I guess if he really loves Estonia that much to turn his back it’s real..

14 minutes ago, Keegan said:

This has to be the strangest defection of all unless Canada has literally never called him.  So you’re going to play turn your back on your country for Estonia who have no shot at qualifying for anything.. and on the flip side you could probably walk into the Canadian senior side and into an assured position for Gold cups and a World Cup or two.  Just dumb but I guess if he really loves Estonia that much to turn his back it’s real..

Estonia called him first, before Canada ever did. In some ways it makes sense to stick with Estonia at youth level because in Europe they tend to play way more games and you can play all the way to U21 (U23). A much better system to develop players.

He has one game in Iceland in September.

Estonia play two more games in October but are already eliminated. That will be the end of the road for Vaikla when it comes to youth football. It will be interesting to see if Biello can get him to switch to play for the U23s. Going into Olympic Qualifying he'd likely start ahead of Busti if he files his one-time-switch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_2

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

21 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Maybe he was visited by the Estonian mafia and threatened like, well, ya know....

image.png

25 minutes ago, Keegan said:

For the record, Estonia did advance to the Euro 2012 playoffs (they lost to Ireland 5-1).

I would argue that with the Euro having 24 teams since 2016 and the WC moving to 48 teams, Estonia do have now  a better shot at qualifying for the Euro or the WC. I'm not saying they will qualify but the high numbers of teams will make space for some smaller/weaker Euro nations.

14 hours ago, aloyol said:

For the record, Estonia did advance to the Euro 2012 playoffs (they lost to Ireland 5-1).

I would argue that with the Euro having 24 teams since 2016 and the WC moving to 48 teams, Estonia do have now  a better shot at qualifying for the Euro or the WC. I'm not saying they will qualify but the high numbers of teams will make space for some smaller/weaker Euro nations.

I’d like to hope Canada still has a better chance, although slight.

Edited by Ngravs

2 hours ago, Ngravs said:

I’d like to hope Canada still has a better chance, although slight.

Not slight. Huge. Estonia will always be a low seed in Europe and struggle to move up the pots. They'll need 4-6 top players to emerge at the same time - ala Iceland or even Northern Ireland - to qualify.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

For Estonia:

A little update, since the November games (where he didn't get the call), Estonia have played 2 games in January, 2 games in March And 2 games in June. He got the call for none of those 3 camps.

This means he is firmly behind Mihkel Aksalu, Marko Meerits, Sergei Lepmets & Matvei Igonen making him Estonia's 5th-choice keeper at best. This is likely due to lack of playing time. 

At club level:

Irish-Norwegian keeper Sean McDermott has simply been too solid and has kept Vaikla on the bench at Kristiansund BK.

Vaikla did play a friendly for Kristiansund vs Manchester United last month but messed things up in stoppage time vs Juan Mata:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/report?gameId=540459

Just made the move back to Sweden from Norway; he is back with IFK Norrköping. He was on the bench for their Europa League game today.

----

I still think he is good enough that he can challenge for the starting U-23 keeper spot if he files his one-time switch for Canada; at senior level he would still be behind Borjan and Crépeau, so his senior team prospects are equally poor with Canada. 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille