Andreas Vaikla

Vince193

24 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

This feels like a huge missed opportunity. Sounds like Canada had no idea who he was. Probably still don't.

I have no idea how true this is, but have the V's ever tried to have an organized mechanism for alerting the CSA about potential Nats with multiple nationalities?  It seems like there is a lot of good work done on this board to uncover (or rediscover) guys who may be on the fringe of CSA's radar, but who may warrant a friendly call-up to give them a look.  

They are posted on this board, but the kind of grass-roots work done here basically constitutes a fairly broad scouting network.  Maybe it is done already, or maybe the informal conversations and postings here do the trick, but it seems like something that the CSA should be made aware of in a more formal way.

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have no idea how true this is, but have the V's ever tried to have an organized mechanism for alerting the CSA about potential Nats with multiple nationalities?  It seems like there is a lot of good work done on this board to uncover (or rediscover) guys who may be on the fringe of CSA's radar, but who may warrant a friendly call-up to give them a look.  

They are posted on this board, but the kind of grass-roots work done here basically constitutes a fairly broad scouting network.  Maybe it is done already, or maybe the informal conversations and postings here do the trick, but it seems like something that the CSA should be made aware of in a more formal way.

I have had former CSA staff members tell me that they monitor this board for players we uncover.

Seems like a missed opportunity in hindsight, but given that Vaikla has been in the Estonian setup since he was 15, is it really a missed opportunity? I mean, he was playing youth football in the GTA at that time, hadn't moved to the West Brom youth system yet.

I don't know how many scouting resources were available at the U16 level in 2012, but in theory the new U15 identification camps should help this type of scenario going forward.

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Seems like a missed opportunity in hindsight, but given that Vaikla has been in the Estonian setup since he was 15, is it really a missed opportunity? I mean, he was playing youth football in the GTA at that time, hadn't moved to the West Brom youth system yet.

I don't know how many scouting resources were available at the U16 level in 2012, but in theory the new U15 identification camps should help this type of scenario going forward.

He wasn't even really followed by this board until pretty recently. The ship had sailed really. Given that he was involved with Estonia so early, he probably had no intention of looking into Canada, I don't really fault the CSA in this instance

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

He wasn't even really followed by this board until pretty recently. The ship had sailed really. Given that he was involved with Estonia so early, he probably had no intention of looking into Canada, I don't really fault the CSA in this instance

Exactly. If Oliver Saundry were to be called up to the Latvian U16 side (not that he's eligible for Latvia, but just using a current example), would anyone even notice? I believe the response would more likely be: "Who's Oliver Saundry?".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 1:14 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Vaikla is part of the 26-man (why 26? :huh: ) squad for the two WCQ games vs Gibraltar and Greece.

http://www.jalgpall.ee/news.php?st=style_fp.css&news_id=11030

Was also called to the U-21 team at the same time!

EDIT: In goal lost to Sweden 0-3.

http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2017/matches/live/index.html?day=47&session=1&match=2016259

Will join the senior squad after this game?

http://www.jalgpall.ee/news.php?st=style_fp.css&news_id=11042

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

We chatted with this guy - he is open to a call from Canada. He is willing to be interviewed by one of our media groups (RNO, CSN, etc.)

Tried talk to him and he didn't get back to me after like 7 questions

Edited by matty

5 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

We chatted with this guy - he is open to a call from Canada. He is willing to be interviewed by one of our media groups (RNO, CSN, etc.)

Is he still eligible for us? He has played for Estonia, but I believe it was a friendly. If I was Estonia I would cap-tie immediately.

18 hours ago, matty said:

Tried talk to him and he didn't get back to me after like 7 questions

You cannot talk to a player inside a nation's camp about changing nations, obviously. That would be suicidal on his part, thank god he is not dumb.

Really what should happen is the CSA speak to him through a family member, and leave media out of it for now.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

This kid would seemingly be the first choice for our U20s.  Are there any other keepers that age that would challenge him? 

Pantemis and Di Bennado at FC Montreal and TFC II, respectively. But he plays at a higher level than either of those two. 

Also, whatever happened to Kaiswatum?

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Also, whatever happened to Kaiswatum?

Still with FCE as far as I know (someone who follows the Eddies' academy more closely would know for sure), he was at the U-20 camp in September last year, hasn't been involved since.