Andreas Vaikla

Vince193

It is my dream to play professional in the best 2nd division in the world: SPAIN and to play for the Chechen national team when the glorious Ramzan Kadyrov brings about Chechen independence. And when I do this Ottawafan better sure as hell defend me on this forum because I used to live and play youth soccer in Ottawa and I was never scouted by the OSA or CSA nor called to a provincial or national team camp and I AM STILL ANGRY AS HELL ABOUT THAT!

I'm not advocating he deserves a spot in the team. But if the CSA is so close minded that they refuse to go watch a kid play, one recommended by the club head coaches, then the CSA is not doing their due diligence. It takes an hour out of their schedule to view kids. Kids who are elite in the OYSL. 

Listen I don't know what to tell you. You've clearly not dealt with the arrogance with the governing bodies and the staff.  It is their job to leave no stone unturned. That doesn't happen. They continue to fail at it. Which explains why we ranked where we are. 

24 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

It is my dream to play professional in the best 2nd division in the world: SPAIN and to play for the Chechen national team when the glorious Ramzan Kadyrov brings about Chechen independence. And when I do this Ottawafan better sure as hell defend me on this forum because I used to live and play youth soccer in Ottawa and I was never scouted by the OSA or CSA nor called to a provincial or national team camp and I AM STILL ANGRY AS HELL ABOUT THAT!

What club were you with?

Why is Twardek special? Answer, HE ISN'T! 

Are we supposed to be impressed by a 19 year old who hasn't cracked a League One lineup? Because I'm not. Here are a few midfielders / wingers who will make us forget about Twardek, even though I had already done so prior to the Twardek fan club sticking their nose in here.

If we're considering academy players at English clubs special, how about a player in an academy of an actual high profile Premier League club, Josh Doughty?

What about a 19 year old who's on the verge of getting minutes in MLS, and impressed heavily in USL, Marco Bustos. 

What about an 18 year old who's actually played multiple professional games, at a level comparable to League One, forcing his way into the first team, Dario Zanatta?

What about a 15 year old who's already starting in USL Pro and with the U-20 team, Alphonso Davies?

And even going off the board, what about the former Canadian Messi, who despite being a train wreck has actually been highly impressive at the pro level (albeit not recently), Hanson Boakai.

Because all of these players have accomplished more at the professional level than Twardek, and haven't turned their backs on this country for more glorious pastures. This is Vitoria part 2, we'll see him begging to join the senior team when he's 28 and has no Czech senior team future in sight. Move along here.

Edited by shermanator

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

CSA coaches are working out of the Metcalfe offices? I thought all technical staff was based in Toronto.

So you don't know how the Czech FA came to know of Twardek?

Seeing as you've coached for 20 years, when you cut a player do you tell them to give up trying out for your club, quit and then go try another club?

I thought I read an article in the Czech media that said that Twardek sent a video to the Czech FA.

Anyway, Twardek was recently listed as the 26th best Czech talent 19 years old and under by Czech sports media.  Talent on the Czech team is 'ok', but I think Twardek still has a rather large hill to climb if he ever wants to make it to the national team.

He wasn't named to the Czech U19 qualifying roster last month, only the injury reserves.  Not sure if that has to do with Millwall, or if he isn't good enough.

Apparently, he is learning Czech now, but when he joined the national team, he couldn't speak one word.

Edited by Toje

8 minutes ago, Toje said:

I thought I read an article in the Czech media that said that Twardek sent a video to the Czech FA.

Anyway, Twardek was recently listed as the 26th best Czech talent 19 years old and under by Czech sports media.  Talent on the Czech team is 'ok', but I think Twardek still has a rather large hill to climb if he ever wants to make it to the national team.

He wasn't named to the Czech U19 qualifying roster last month, only the injury reserves.  Not sure if that has to do with Millwall, or if he isn't good enough.

Apparently, he is learning Czech now, but when he joined the national team, he couldn't speak one word.

He did. He and his family have actually said in articles with Ottawa based papers that it was his dream to play with the Czech Republic and they sent videos to the FA.

On an unrelated note, does one say the Czech Republic or is it similar to Ukraine where you're supposed to drop the "the?"

1 hour ago, Toje said:

All too familiar. For "all" the players the CSA "misses", how many are they aware of and are trying to work into the fold a la Hargreaves, Lensky, De Guzman, Begovic, that "irish" kid, that "greek" kid, that "portugese" kid, that "uruguayan kid", that....

It seems like it takes 2 to tango, and if a player isn't interested in playing for Canada there isn't much the CSA can do.

So, I ask, how do we know this born and raised in Canada "czech" kid even wanted to represent Canada? Sounds like he thinks he's czech. Also, would it have hurt to wait a few more years? He's 16 for crying out loud.

Arfield waited until he was 27, because he dreamed of representing Scotland. I don't think this "czech" kid had dreams of playing for Canada. If so, dedication fail.

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He did. He and his family have actually said in articles with Ottawa based papers that it was his dream to play with the Czech Republic and they sent videos to the FA.

On an unrelated note, does one say the Czech Republic or is it similar to Ukraine where you're supposed to drop the "the?"

I always say the Czech Republic for everything (when using the full name).  Some people like to say Czechia instead of the Czech Republic.  I could go on about Moravian 'nationality'... but here is not the place ;) 

Back on topic, Twardek is young, but still has a LONG way to go before cracking the full national team.  In my opinion, there is very little difference between the Czech Republic U19/U20 team and the Canadian U20 team.  The Czech Republic has the edge most of the time, but Canada would be very competitive. The gap widens a little when you reach the full national team level.

I never said he deserves a spot on any team and his development since is on him. Can't have it both ways. If he wasn't good enough to warrant a try out or even a look by the CSA, they and the fans can't complain if others see the talent and give him an opportunity. 

But I guess that sort of goes against the narrative that he's the bad guy. Sorry for ruffling your feathers. 

39 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I never said he deserves a spot on any team and his development since is on him. Can't have it both ways. If he wasn't good enough to warrant a try out or even a look by the CSA, they and the fans can't complain if others see the talent and give him an opportunity. 

But I guess that sort of goes against the narrative that he's the bad guy. Sorry for ruffling your feathers. 

Seriously, who is saying he is a bad guy? You incorrectly accused me of doing it before so who are you referring to now? 

To get back to the actual topic...

Sort of make sense what PSem was saying. Although he was starting frequently in the preseason, he hasn't been playing since the start of the regular season. Was on the bench for the first game and then hasn't been in the squad for the last two games.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Yesterday, Vaikla made his Allsvenskan debut, replacing David Mitov Nilsson in the 19th minute. He conceded two goals, however none of them were his fault.

Today it is said that David Mitov Nilsson's injury may last the whole season, which means that Vaikla in fact will play all the games, at least until the silly season which in Sweden starts in the middle of July.

I can keep you guys updated on how it is going, if that's by interest. This will def. be his best chance of proving what he is capable of.

Edited by PSem

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2016 at 10:23 AM, Ruffian said:

Has he been invited to play with the Estonian National team yet?

So like I said, back in March he was at camp with the senior team before getting his start for the U-21s a few days later.

Now, back to June:

Yesterday, in a friendly vs Andorra, he got his first senior cap with Estonia (senior team). They won 2-0.

http://www.jalgpall.ee/news.php?st=style_fp.css&news_id=10336

http://www.jalgpall.ee/protocol.php?st=&proto=1357&b=

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

He must certainly feel Estonian. Cause if there's one country where you have less chance of ever shining at an international event than Canada, it's Estonia. But whatever, good on him for choosing with his heart. 

Well, during the Euro 2012 qualifications, Estonia did advance to the playoffs after finishing 2nd in their group (ahead of Serbia, Slovenia and Northern Ireland).

With the Euro expanding to 24 teams, it doesn't seems impossible for Estonia to qualify for the Euro at some point in the future.

Edited by aloyol

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

He must certainly feel Estonian. Cause if there's one country where you have less chance of ever shining at an international event than Canada, it's Estonia. But whatever, good on him for choosing with his heart. 

It's the "Bunbury / Akindele" effect. Do you choose to have a long international career, or a short international career on a more glamorous side?

Anyways, I think we can wrap up the discussion on Vaikla. He was with Estonia before we even knew who he was. Such is life.

On 6/6/2016 at 4:07 AM, shamrock said:

Cause if there's one country where you have less chance of ever shining at an international event than Canada, it's Estonia.

There are perks; like being on the bench when your team plays Portugal, and you get to see Ronaldo and Co score some beautiful goals!

Portugal 7-Estonia 0 (good thing he wasn't actually in net!)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille