Voyageurs Sponsonship of Foothills PDL Kit - GFM Donations Live

Tuscan

9 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Great initiative guys. Certainly embodies our philosophy on supporting local football.

Nice promotion for the Voyageurs as well.

On another note - I am surprise Calgary wasn't able to secure more than $1000 for a kit sponsor.

They are actually raising $50,000 for their kit sponsorship: 50 X $1000 of which this will be just one of the 50. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I'm not surprised at all. There was no way in hell they were going to get the same sponsorship in Calgary's current economy that they received last year. What I am surprised at was that they already had 30 sponsors by the time the campaign was announced by the club.

This makes much more sense - 50 unique jersey sponsors @ 1k per. Ultimately they jersey sponsorship dollar value will hit  $50k which is much more inline with comparables.

From the clubs site - "In the current financial climate, we are very grateful for all the sponsors that have come on board for the 2016 season, but we realised that seeking one large sponsor for our jerseys was going to be tough. Calgary Foothills FC still wants to deliver behind our mission to bring high-profile soccer to Calgary. Rather than seeking one large sponsor, we are looking for 50 jersey sponsors to come in at $1,000 each. Each sponsor will be supporting Calgary Foothills FC, the highest level of soccer in Calgary and the only ProAm team, as they enter their second season in the PDL."

Interested to hear the leagues take on this creative pitch. a different logo on each kit...interesting.

23 minutes ago, ted said:

Yeah sorry, this is offensive and not something that should have the Vees name associated with it.

How can the Vees be partisan when it comes to domestic clubs?  There are 6 Canadian teams in this league and supporting one and not all under the banner of the Vees is objectionable.

How would people react if we decided to sponsor the Whitecaps? 

Ted it's not partisan, it's just helping out where help is needed. I'd be equally inclined to support the Highlanders, WSA Winnipeg, or whoever provided they were showing commitment to Canadian talent. Rather than offensive, I think this is something to be proud of. 

Actually, I've long thought that The Voyageurs as a group could start some kind of general crowdfunding where we could target one of many grassroots soccer initiatives every year. However that's a lot of work and I'm not sure how it would be best done. 

7 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Actually, I've long thought that The Voyageurs as a group could start some kind of general crowdfunding where we could target one of many grassroots soccer initiatives every year. However that's a lot of work and I'm not sure how it would be best done. 

Ben's favourite word (centralization)

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

We're not being partisan. This is simply supporting a program that's giving high performance Canadian soccer players a place to further develop. The idea that partisanship should be brought into people putting their money where their mouth is to support Canadian soccer is infuriating! 

If your concern is that this group is somehow "throwing its single support", for lack of better words, behind Foothills as a club, why not contact the Highlanders FO and see if they could use some crowd funded dollars as well? We always talk about the want to make a difference in Canadian soccer, let's actually start doing it. 

I think there is a precedent for this too.  Didn't the Voyageurs contribute a sponsorship for Eliot Godfrey in the lower English conferences years ago?  I think we had the Voyageurs name on his jersey.  I realize it wasn't a Canadian team competing against other Canadian teams, but I think it did happen before.

Jason

By the way, if anyone can track down similar sponsorship opportunities for other Canadian clubs, I would be open to contributing.  I would presume that MLS, NASL, and even USL would be out of our price range (but you never know).  There are still a few other PDL clubs, L1O or LPSQ out there.

Jason

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I think there is a precedent for this too.  Didn't the Voyageurs contribute a sponsorship for Eliot Godfrey in the lower English conferences years ago?

Supporting a specific player playing in a league outside of Canada is not the same as giving money to a single Canadian team.

3 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Ted it's not partisan, it's just helping out where help is needed. I'd be equally inclined to support the Highlanders, WSA Winnipeg, or whoever provided they were showing commitment to Canadian talent. Rather than offensive, I think this is something to be proud of. 

Well, I fail to see how raising money to support a single team is not partisan but apparently I use a different dictionary than everyone else. I don't even mind this and other such efforts being advertised and discussed here and through our media channels. I simply do not like to see our name and logo used so freely.

I love the idea of general crowdfunding and targeting grassroots soccer initiatives and would happily support that sort of effort. I just think we should do so in a more general way by targeting more broadly than putting money into specific clubs.  There have been some great idea for sponsoring tournaments or additional cup competitions. We could put money into coaching scholarships for pro training. Heck, buying advertising time on a National Team broadcast to promote our own activities would be a positive step for the game in Canada.

23 minutes ago, ted said:

Supporting a specific player playing in a league outside of Canada is not the same as giving money to a single Canadian team.

Well, I fail to see how raising money to support a single team is not partisan but apparently I use a different dictionary than everyone else. I don't even mind this and other such efforts being advertised and discussed here and through our media channels. I simply do not like to see our name and logo used so freely.

I love the idea of general crowdfunding and targeting grassroots soccer initiatives and would happily support that sort of effort. I just think we should do so in a more general way by targeting more broadly than putting money into specific clubs.  There have been some great idea for sponsoring tournaments or additional cup competitions. We could put money into coaching scholarships for pro training. Heck, buying advertising time on a National Team broadcast to promote our own activities would be a positive step for the game in Canada.

I would say that this is not partisan because we're not supporting this club instead of any other, we're starting with this one and discussing how we can do this for other clubs in the future.

I am just wondering, what is the return? Does Foothills put 50 different names on its shirts for the season? I just don't get it, a shirt sponsorship is supposed to be money for exposure. What will their shirt say?

If somehow a Vs logo was to be visible with this, great. Even if for 2% of the seaon's visibility. 

If not, I don't really get it either, though it is fine as an initiative of a few Vs and I admire the generosity out there.

2 hours ago, ted said:

I can't speak for others, but for me I don't really care much if Foothills wins a bunch of games or not. In that sense, I'm contributing $ so that they can continue trying to develop Canadian talent which to me is the greater goal. In that sense, supporting one PDL club is the same as supporting another, providing their goals are the same, namely developing Canadian players. 

6 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I can't speak for others, but for me I don't really care much if Foothills wins a bunch of games or not. In that sense, I'm contributing $ so that they can continue trying to develop Canadian talent which to me is the greater goal. In that sense, supporting one PDL club is the same as supporting another, providing their goals are the same, namely developing Canadian players. 

Yep, that's why I supported. I live far enough away that I don't have anything personally invested in the team.  But it's a chance to support Canadian development, and I would be happy to invest money toward other teams when the need/opportunity presents.  

7 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Just $205 left to go! More than 80% there already.

And... someone on the tweets is willing to match the remaining donations!

That's me :).  I just matched it so we are even closer.

Archived