Voyageurs Sponsonship of Foothills PDL Kit - GFM Donations Live

Tuscan

**UPDATE**

The GoFundMe donation page for this is now live. Link to it here: https://www.gofundme.com/VoyageursFoothills

Rather than ask and leave it up to someone else, I figured I'd grab the bull by the horns here and get the ball rolling on this. We only have until March 15th to hit the $1000 mark as they are no longer taking kit sponsons after that point, as far as the sponson section of their website states. http://foothillsfc.ca/default.asp?id=50names&l=1

Minimum donation is $50. We need 21 people to reach the goal. The extra $50 is to cover the admin costs GFM charges. This might not be the best solution but we had to find something quickly since there's a short turn around.

Please post if you'd be willing to contribute. Here are the spoken contributors so far:

Rob.Notenboom

Shermanator

Tuscan - $50

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

If we're going to do this, we should start collecting today.

As Tuscan asked, should we use an online fundraising website, or something like PayPal? If the former, does anyone know the pros and cons of the various fundraising websites, and have a recommendation as to which we should use?

I was talking to Jeff and he suggested the same. Unfortunately we are both tied up all day and don't have time to sort it out. I have no experience with setting up crowdfunding anyway so wouldn't be much help. 

Yeah why the hell not. Also we're already over $250. Well done to everyone who's donated so far. I'll be driving to the Jaw later today and will be partying at a coed soccer tourney so it'll be tough for me to keep an eye on this but at this rate we'll hit the goal in four hours. 

Yeah sorry, this is offensive and not something that should have the Vees name associated with it.

How can the Vees be partisan when it comes to domestic clubs?  There are 6 Canadian teams in this league and supporting one and not all under the banner of the Vees is objectionable.

How would people react if we decided to sponsor the Whitecaps? 

20 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

Should I try to hit up Owen Hargreaves for money? Dun Dun Dahhh

It's rather disappointing that he hasn't contributed a thing to the Calgary soccer community (at least that I'm aware of).  

Jason

8 minutes ago, ted said:

Yeah sorry, this is offensive and not something that should have the Vees name associated with it.

How can the Vees be partisan when it comes to domestic clubs?  There are 6 Canadian teams in this league and supporting one and not all under the banner of the Vees is objectionable.

Do the Whitecaps offer $1,000 sponsorships?! That would be a huge opportunity for us, let's do it!

10 minutes ago, ted said:

Rather than moaning and attempting to undermine the efforts of others who are raising money to improve lower-division soccer in Canada, you're welcome to set up a fundraiser for your club of choice and ask Vees to donate.

I don't "support" Calgary Foothills. However, they are asking the public for financial assistance, and I'm happy to pitch in.

Hopefully the front offices of other lower-divisions clubs in Canada will learn something from Calgary's #50Names campaign.

We're not being partisan. This is simply supporting a program that's giving high performance Canadian soccer players a place to further develop. The idea that partisanship should be brought into people putting their money where their mouth is to support Canadian soccer is infuriating! 

If your concern is that this group is somehow "throwing its single support", for lack of better words, behind Foothills as a club, why not contact the Highlanders FO and see if they could use some crowd funded dollars as well? We always talk about the want to make a difference in Canadian soccer, let's actually start doing it. 

Are any of the other PDL clubs requesting $1000 shirt sponsorships? No. There is a unique opportunity here for us to show we are more than just fans on keyboards claiming to support the development of Canadian soccer.

If the Victoria Highlanders were to request the same, I'm sure fellow posters would chip in. If WSA Winnipeg were to request the same, I'm sure fellow posters would chip in. If Thunder Bay Chill and KW United were to stop bitching about being forced to move to League1 Ontario (or whatever Thunder Bay's situation actually is), and were to request the same, I'm sure fellow posters would chip in.

Don't like it? Simple, don't donate.

Just now, shermanator said:

Don't like it? Simple, don't donate.

The great thing about the decentralized nature of the Voyageurs is that, rather than a board deciding what's best, it is the simple interest of the community that will determine whether this ultimately happens or not! If everyone feels like Ted or is sort of apathetic (that's me; not sure I'm gonna donate), the initiative will fail of its own accord.

3 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Great initiative guys. Certainly embodies our philosophy on supporting local football.

Nice promotion for the Voyageurs as well.

On another note - I am surprise Calgary wasn't able to secure more than $1000 for a kit sponsor.

I'm not surprised at all. There was no way in hell they were going to get the same sponsorship in Calgary's current economy that they received last year. What I am surprised at was that they already had 30 sponsors by the time the campaign was announced by the club.

Archived