Ricardo Ferreira

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Well, TFC and other Canadian MLS clubs have existed for a while now and we've seen a bunch of kids (Aleman, Aird, Bustos, Vaikla, Tabla) flirting with the idea or outright joining other nations. I highly doubt CPL will help at all. If a good is good enough and has options he'll be thinking about ditching us.

I'd say the academies have done a good job curbing guys leaving domestically but think the abroad issue will continue for a while still unless we make it to like 2 or 3 straight world cups.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Well, TFC and other Canadian MLS clubs have existed for a while now and we've seen a bunch of kids (Aleman, Aird, Bustos, Vaikla, Tabla) flirting with the idea or outright joining other nations. I highly doubt CPL will help at all. If a good is good enough and has options he'll be thinking about ditching us.

That's a world wide thing, but with CPL having youth teams will bring more players to the table and more choices CMNT and all youth teams to give them a chance to play for Canada. If they stay that's great and if they leave we move on at least will have others in the pipeline. Overall thought CNDMLS teams have produce players, but so many were push to soon or were not given a chance to succeed ie TFC. With USL this should help improve this situation, but gotta wait and see what USL will do so they can become D2 league. As I posted this will be a long process with CPL, but they should make it happen from the jump. Let's not get off topic to long.

If Ferreira leaves for sure it will sting, but someone out there CMNT might have somebody on his level....

I think CPL will help in a round about kind of way.  More chances to play, bring in more fans, interest etc.  Create a pathway for kids, a place for MLS academy/NCAA kids to continue their career in front of hometown crowds etc.  Sure we will lose some kids that are good enough to play for bigger nations, but having a domestic league (and the MLS teams) working to push soccer forward the ball might actually start to roll for us.  Kids like Ferreira might be more tempted to stay in Canada if we start to develop a bit more of a broader fan base, more clubs, more CDN stars and coaches etc.  I think having a soccer night in canada with Saskatoon playing Halifax with 4-5 CDN on the field for each club will really help.  I know we are all sick of having our "CDN MLS" clubs take the field with no CDN actually on the field.  

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Fair point, but hopefully it just means more kids coming through. For every new Tabla hopefully there's also a Davies.

49 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Just got beat by Weston McKennine on the US goal. Torched for pace and turned inside out by CJ Sapong on the previous play.

EDIT: Followed by a near own goal trying to chest the ball back to Beto. Turning out to be a nightmare debut.

And now a fluffed clearance that forced an incredible save from Beto on Tyler Adams. Ferreira looks completely out of his element. 

26 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Well I don't think "blinder against a Pulisic-less USA" was exactly what we hoped for. He's had a good last 15 minutes though.

I think you're looking for "shocker" rather than "blinder", which would imply that he was outstanding.  

What a disappointment though.. Cristante and Ferreira, both basically kissing an international career goodbye for meaningless games.  Where both would most likely be key players on a 2026 World Cup host.

Cristante I get, I really do and I hope he has a great club career.  But Ferreira is just a guy who you want to see fall flat.  

I wish our rivals had to deal with the same.  Like imagine Felipe Baloy or Amado Guevara never playing internationally for their countries to get one cap for Colombia (for example).. what an impact that would have on their national teams.  

Only tuned in briefly but he didn't look like a must-have player for Portugal. Whether or not he wants to keep the dream up will be his call, but I don't see Portugal rushing to bring him back anytime soon.

Which makes you think, are we really missing out here? Like, don't get me wrong, he'd probably be one of our best centre backs, but I don't think he'll be a massive upgrade on what we have already.

Not impressing against the USA only puts it more in perspective for me - if he didn't look good against them with Portugal, would he look good against them for Canada?

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Only tuned in briefly but he didn't look like a must-have player for Portugal. Whether or not he wants to keep the dream up will be his call, but I don't see Portugal rushing to bring him back anytime soon.

Which makes you think, are we really missing out here? Like, don't get me wrong, he'd probably be one of our best centre backs, but I don't think he'll be a massive upgrade on what we have already.

Not impressing against the USA only puts it more in perspective for me - if he didn't look good against them with Portugal, would he look good against them for Canada?

The McKennie goal is whatever. That kid is a world class prospect and was the best player on the pitch for either team....but when CJ Sapong is consistently making you look silly, it raises some serious questions about your ability.

Given that it was his first cap, the pressure that was on him to impress to make the WC squad, and the fact that the Portuguese president was very publicly in attendance, I think we should chalk some of his performance up to nerves. He didn't get a cap with the third ranked team in the world by mistake.

13 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The McKennie goal is whatever. That kid is a world class prospect and was the best player on the pitch for either team....but when CJ Sapong is consistently making you look silly, it raises some serious questions about your ability.

Given that it was his first cap, the pressure that was on him to impress to make the WC squad, and the fact that the Portuguese president was very publicly in attendance, I think we should chalk some of his performance up to nerves. He didn't get a cap with the third ranked team in the world by mistake.

Yup, agree with all of that but unfortunately for him it doesn't change the fact he did not impress against a relatively weaker side.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Yessir. August 2008 he left TFCA for Porto, 3 months shy of his 16th bday.

Imagine a generation of talent that recognizes what Canada has done for them and their families. A generation that doesn't just look at Canada as a bad team, but as a team that they can help improve. A generation that doesn't blindly follow dreams of playing in a world cup, but dreams for taking part in one with the nation they actually grew up/live in.

What the hell would we even talk about on this forum

Edited by Chad_Impact