Ricardo Ferreira

Just now, shermanator said:

he says that Ferreira is willing to join the Canadian national team if the conditions are right.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/ballou-tabla-bryan-cristante-ricardo-ferreira-octavio-zambrano-montrea-impact-mls-canada-soccer/

OZ is playing with something more dangerous than fire: fan optimism. We don't know what Ferreira's conditions are and we don't know how close the CSA is to meeting them.

52 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

OZ is playing with something more dangerous than fire: fan optimism. We don't know what Ferreira's conditions are and we don't know how close the CSA is to meeting them.

The interview did not say he had conditions, ie. demands the CSA would need to meet for him to join the team, it said he was willing to join the team if the conditions were right in other words if the circumstances suit him.  As I said in the other thread, I suspect the right conditions would be him coming to the realization that his chances of ever playing a significant role or playing at all for the Portugese national team are slim.

I suspect his chances of playing for the Portugese national team at this point are indeed slim. He has played 53 games in 4 years for three teams in the Portugese top division though admittedly the game appearances were reduced by injuries. Braga his team for the last two years is currently in 7th but finished 5th last year and 4th the year before. That is right below the big 3 teams but there is a pretty big points gap between the 3rd place team and the 4th and 5th placed teams in Portugal. About half the squad of Braga is Portugese and most like Ferreira have played for Portugal at the youth level however only 2 of the Braga players have ever appeared for the senior side and both of those players only have 1 appearance each. The last Portugese squad did not feature any player from the Portugese league who was not playing for one of the three big clubs. He is turning 25 in three months and is injury prone and I doubt is currently on the radar of any of the big three clubs. I don`t know who Portugal has coming through the ranks at CB but it seems like Ferreira`s pedigree so far while good for Canada is below what a typical Portugese national team player would have and I doubt he is very likely to get called unless Portugal has a deficit at CB like they did at keeper when Fernandes got called.

I suspect that at this point he is probably making a decision between having a reasonably long international career as an important player for us and holding out slim hope to get a Portugal call that even if it comes will likely only be a few games as a stop gap until someone better comes along. In his case I think the odds for us are pretty good. Cristante is 2 and a half years younger and playing in a stronger league and with a less strong connection to Canada so he seems less likely to be giving up on Italy in the near future but he also has even stiffer competition for an Italy call so the chances of getting him eventually are not that bad either. 

Edited by Grizzly

Just now, Grizzly said:

The interview did not say he had conditions, ie. demands the CSA would need to meet for him to join the team, it said he was willing to join the team if the conditions were right in other words if the circumstances suit him.

Fair enough, this is more likely to be the case.

Just now, Grizzly said:

He is turning 25 in three months and is injury prone and I doubt is currently on the radar of any of the big three clubs.

This is likely true. The Benfica rumours have not resurfaced.

On 09/03/2016 at 8:58 PM, jpg75 said:

In the near future he probably won't get called to Portugal, but probably after the 2018 WC his chances will increase significantly. Right now 3 of the top 4 Portuguese CB's are born in 1983 or earlier (Bruno Alves, Pepe and Jose Fonte).

Ferreira will eventually be competing with the likes of Luis Neto (88/Zenit St. Petersburg), Paulo Oliveira (92/Sporting CP) and Andre Pinto (89/Braga - Ferreira's partner) who have appeared for the Senior NT. There are also the guys ahead of him with the last U21 team: Tiago Ilori (93/Liverpool), Tobias Figueiredo (94/Sporting CP) and Frederico Venancio (93/Vitoria Setubal) and arguably the top CB from the current U21's is Ruben Vezo (94/Valencia).

So 18 months later it looks like Vezo has broken into the starting lineup at Valencia after spending last season on loan at Granada. This would appear to dent Ferreira's chances with Portugal. Also his partner at Braga, Andre Pinto, has moved to Sporting which puts both those guys ahead of him for now.

Luis Neto is on loan at Fenerbahce, he is the only CB under 30 with double digit caps right now. Paulo Oliveira has moved to La Liga with Eibar.

Ilori has moved to Reading in the Championship so he's not an issue. Figueiredo played well on loan at Nacional last season but is the 3rd CB at Sporting this season. Venancio has over 100 games for Setubal, but he's now on loan at Sheff. Wed. in the Championship.

There is also Edgar Le who transferred from Belenses to Lille this year and has played 90 in all 4 games this season (who also previously played 48 games for Barca B in the best 2nd division in the world :D ) and Ruben Semedo who transferred from Sporting where he was a starter to Villareal where he has played 90 in 1 of their 2 games this season. Both are 23. Semedo has 6 senior caps already. Plus there are a lot of teams of a similar level to Braga in the Portugese league with CBs of a similar calibre to Ferreira. I suspect Ferreira is probably not even in the top 10 of Portugese CBs right now and even though a few of the older players may retire in the next few years they seem to have enough young guys to replace them all of which is good for our chances. 

Edited by Grizzly

18 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

"Canadian national team coach Octavio Zambrano joined Sportsnet 590 The FAN to provide his thoughts on Canada’s recent win over Jamaica, how close the team is to achieving the identity he wants, players he would like to recruit, and the importance of Junior Hoilett."

Hahaha

26 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

It's 590 The FAN, radio, so I fixed your post. ;)

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

and the importance of Junior Hoilett."

@Tuscan is a trendsetter. :lol:

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Seems the most likely of the group we are chasing to commit. 

Octavio was talking about the relationship with the clubs and their vision being important, so could see the 
"conditions" also being related to his club career.  

Would be a nice addition and big part of the jigsaw at the back. 

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Ferierra is angling for an MLS move and such a move would create the 'conditions' for him to suit up for Canada, though ultimately I see him joining eventually, even if he remains in Europe.

Ricardo plays football on the continent with Braga(when fit) why would he come to MLS before his prime? With a string of good performances, and a little luck, Ricardo still has plenty of time to earn a move to a bigger club. Joining MLS made sense for Piette, but not so much for Ferreira 

52 minutes ago, TooMuchSauce519 said:

Ricardo plays football on the continent with Braga(when fit) why would he come to MLS before his prime? With a string of good performances, and a little luck, Ricardo still has plenty of time to earn a move to a bigger club. Joining MLS made sense for Piette, but not so much for Ferreira 

Why? That's ultimately a question for him to answer, not me. I can't claim to understand his motivations to leave, nor can I claim he even wants to. What I can do though is listen to what Zambrano said in that interview, imagine it in the context of Ricardo wanting a move, and form a fresh perspective on what was meant by "conditions" in the earlier interview.

In yesterday's O Jogo:

http://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/braga/noticias/interior/ricardo-estuda-convite-do-canada-8758576.html

-Ferreira is studying Canada's proposal.

-Author implies that he is still interested in trying to make the Portuguese team.

-Author states that (when fit) he is Braga's best CB

-The CSA (especially OZ) has been in contact with him these last few weeks.

-Played at youth levels for Canada before playing U17 for Portugal (U12 is mentioned)

-Is back to match fitness again (remember he still hasn't played a game this season).