Ricardo Ferreira

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

In my case it was an ACL repair after I blew it out entirely, followed by 2 meniscus tears and repairs. I can't imagine tearing my ACL twice. Sends shivers down my spine.

Ugh +1

I’m so much more cautious post-ACL and every part of me agrees that this is the right way to be. I also can’t imagine the mental tension of knowing you need to push it for professional reasons and take risks, and your body and subconscious telling you to back off.

I don't get all the negativity. Wouldn't you think JH and co. know about his present condition (health and club)? He comes to camp and we'll see what happens. If he doesn't make the team, he doesn't make the team. It's not that we have so many options that he's taking someone else's place. I for one am happy about this move even if it should of happened years ago.

8 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I don't get all the negativity. Wouldn't you think JH and co. know about his present condition (health and club)? He comes to camp and we'll see what happens. If he doesn't make the team, he doesn't make the team. It's not that we have so many options that he's taking someone else's place. I for one am happy about this move even if it should of happened years ago.

This is my reaction as well. Also helps to have some Veteran CBs “playing” (or played in this case lol) at a decent level available for our March/June camps as some of our younger CBs can be released for Olympic Qualifying/Gold Cup

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

With the amount of matches between WCQ/Gold Cup/Olympic Qualifiers all coming up, at the very least he’ll add to our squad depth. If having him on the bench for our WCQ team frees up someone like Cornelius or Miller for the Olympic Qualifiers, it’s already a big positive. And if he can stay healthy and get in form he could legitimately be a top CB for us.

It's very similar to the Vitoria situation and everyone is fine with him. Granted he wasn't as badly injured. He was pretty much looking like being on the scrap heap at the time of committing though. 

If he gets fit we have a huge addition. Either way he potentially adds some significant experience to share to younger players. 

Canada is a great opportunity for him and he’s gonna allow Canada to push down young/inexperienced CBs to the gold cup team/Olympic team/ Canada B/C teams. That’s great because they are gonna get great game experience without that crazy pressure of WQC.  

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Canada is a great opportunity for him and he’s gonna allow Canada to push down young/inexperienced CBs to the gold cup team/Olympic team/ Canada B/C teams. That’s great because they are gonna get great game experience without that crazy pressure of WQC.  

That’s contingent on him finding a club and playing regularly in the next month, which is highly unlikely.

Edited by CanadaFan123

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Question:

Vitoria or Ferreira? Whose switch generated more negativity?

Ferreira for sure. Vitoria was a prick but when he came on we were just coming off WCQ where we used Straith and Jakovic at CB. He was also coming off a decent season in MLS and attached to Benfica. 

Ferreira has turned us down for an abnormally long time and is now coming in when our situation at CB isn’t as bad and he’s just been let go from a relegation candidate in Portugal. 

Vitoria 2016 > Ferreira 2021

As I said before - it’s a farce the attention this has received. Nowhere near the other announcements in recent years, or months even.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ferreira for sure. Vitoria was a prick but when he came on we were just coming off WCQ where we used Straith and Jakovic at CB. He was also coming off a decent season in MLS and attached to Benfica. 

Ferreira has turned us down for an abnormally long time and is now coming in when our situation at CB isn’t as bad and he’s just been let go from a relegation candidate in Portugal. 

Vitoria 2016 > Ferreira 2021

As I said before - it’s a farce the attention this has received. Nowhere near the other announcements in recent years, or months even.

Vitoria played an U20 world cup here in his home country, for another team.  After he joined us, memories of that slap in the face came roaring back for more than a few of us.  

Honestly, I don’t (and didn’t) have any negativity towards them.  I really didn’t give a shit about either until the committed.  Don’t want to play for Canada?  Cool.  Fuck off then. 

When they sign up it is a different story.  Welcome to the team.  Do your best and see where you fit.   

I reserve my true dislike for the whores and Begovic’s of the world.  

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I don’t understand why doesn’t even a CPL pick him up. Also when does the transfer window open up ? we could be missing something. 

FYI  Hoilett doesn’t have a club either. 

You are assuming that he would want to play in CPL.  I love our league but for a guy who has played high level European footy, he may just have little/no desire to come to CPL and play at that level for a low wage.  Given age and multiple injuries, it is entirely possible he would rather move into the next phase of his career rather than try to reset and rebuild.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

You are assuming that he would want to play in CPL.  I love our league but for a guy who has played high level European footy, he may just have little/no desire to come to CPL and play at that level for a low wage.  Given age and multiple injuries, it is entirely possible he would rather move into the next phase of his career rather than try to reset and rebuild.  

That is true good point, but it would crazy though because he has a Real good chance at a World Cup with Canada if he can get into form. That’s why I was thinking CPL or MLS. Herdman can see him and he can get some games in and get in form. 

51 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I fear he is done tbh.

He desperately needs a pre season. Do we know if he is even training with a club?

Hopefully things turn around. He has to be playing. 

Last i saw on instagram hes been travelling with his wife (girlfriend? friend?) quite a bit, not a single training post. I think a cap for Canada in WCQ was the final chapter in his career, i dont think we see him step foot on a pitch as a professional footballer again sadly. Hope im wrong

The disappointing thing is he looked fairly competent for us against Cayman Islands. I know it was an 11-0 game, but he still looked the part, kind of.

That's why it's hard to imagine him throwing in the towel, but you guys are right. At some point you have to assess your chances of getting back to the top and make a call. If that time is not now, it has to be right around the corner. 

• 2 months later...