Ricardo Ferreira

I think he has the potential to be the top CB in the pool. He also has the potential to miss out on selection entirely. Unless he finds a club it's going to be an uphill battle for him to cement a place in our team. Hard to say where he lands right now, but somewhere between 4th and 7th in the pool sounds right to me. It depends on how much stock you put in his reputation versus how much stock you put into the fact he doesn't have a club and hasn't played consistently since 2016.

53 minutes ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team are scheduled to face Aruba, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Suriname in an initial round of four matches in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers in March and June. Also in March, Canada Soccer’s Men’s U-23 National Team will complete in the Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifying in Guadalajara, Mexico. In July, Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team are scheduled to compete in the Concacaf Gold Cup with group stage matches against Martinique, USA and a yet-to-be determined third opponent.

Scheduled? Hmmmm... 🤔 

There's some great takes in this thread. A lot of lulz.

I understand the CSA's announcement, this is a "headline" worthy grab of a guy who's repped a top Euro nation switching to Canada. Some less enlightened fans will see this as a coup.

And as for the timing, I think this is a better deal for him than it is for us. He's out of contract, again. He's barely played. He's not even close to being a sure thing for us so...

This is an excellent development. More duals coming into the program is a good thing long term. Let's keep the trend going. 

He's definitely a wild card and a reclamation project. This will give his career a shot in the arm. Let's hope he gets himself to a level where he can help us. The potential is there. If he establishes himself in a decent team and ends up in a starting role for us, this could prove to be HUGE. He's still young, and still has ambition. Happy to have him on board. 

It’s honestly hard to get excited about this now, it’s one thing if this was four years ago but who knows what level he’ll be at after two ACL(?) tears. 

Still good news, at least it shows another player wanting to play for us and our player pool just got bigger. Best case he gets back to where he once was, worst case the injuries took their toll and we don’t select him. 

I don’t know how similar he plays to Vitoria but they both strike me as slow but tall and good in the air, maybe he will just replace him in a year lol. 

10 minutes ago, Bdog said:

It’s honestly hard to get excited about this now, it’s one thing if this was four years ago but who knows what level he’ll be at after two ACL(?) tears.

I can tell you that I never returned to the same level of play following my first ACL surgery, and I'm nowhere close to that level after my second. I didn't have the same level of support during rehab as professional athletes these days get though 

I have only watched Riccardo play in 2 games for Braga, both in Europa league. Small sample.. pros  good on the ball and can play out from the back . Dominant on crosses into the box and strong  tackler. Good positionally; rarely ventured past the half line and for good reason.....he is  slow and this was before his knee problems. Wish him the best.

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I have only watched Riccardo play in 2 games for Braga, both in Europa league. Small sample.. pros  good on the ball and can play out from the back . Dominant on crosses into the box and strong  tackler. Good positionally; rarely ventured past the half line and for good reason.....he is  slow and this was before his knee problems. Wish him the best.

sounds exactly like Vitoria lol

47 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I can tell you that I never returned to the same level of play following my first ACL surgery, and I'm nowhere close to that level after my second. I didn't have the same level of support during rehab as professional athletes these days get though 

Ditto. In my case it was an ACL repair after I blew it out entirely, followed by 2 meniscus tears and repairs. I can't imagine tearing my ACL twice. Sends shivers down my spine. 

43 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Good assessment. This is what I remember. Speed was never his strength. I watched the game he played for Portugal against the USA. And he was responsible for the goal for taking down Sappong I think it was. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

I’ve read a lot of people say that ACL injuries are a lot less of a career ender now, still a wasted season every time someone gets one though. 

My knees have been messed up since grade 6, sadly it tends to be a reoccurring thing.