Ricardo Ferreira

• 3 weeks later...

He should get every opportunity to start and hopefully prove his knees can hold up! 

I imagine SC Farense will be the odds on favorite to finish last and be relegated, so the one year deal makes sense for everyone.  

Regardless of whether he ever plays for us, I wish him all the best.  It's hard to imagine many things more frustrating than reaching the near-elite level of sporting competition only to have your body betray you like his has!

Personally, without knowing much about the guy besides his previous potential and the injury, I'm leaning towards he knows full well he won't get a call up from Portugal. 

He's most likely managing his games and workload to protect his knees and trying to earn some money the safe way.  No way he risks his career playing for Canada, unless.... we qualify for the World Cup in 2022.  Depending how his career is going, if stays healthy and signs a decent enough contract that he can live well after his playing days.

That being said... we need some freakin CB's of this calibre!!!

22 minutes ago, costarg said:

Personally, without knowing much about the guy besides his previous potential and the injury, I'm leaning towards he knows full well he won't get a call up from Portugal. 

He's most likely managing his games and workload to protect his knees and trying to earn some money the safe way.  No way he risks his career playing for Canada, unless.... we qualify for the World Cup in 2022.  Depending how his career is going, if stays healthy and signs a decent enough contract that he can live well after his playing days.

That being said... we need some freakin CB's of this calibre!!!

Your so right ! Personally I want to see him in a Canadian Jersey so bad! He’s gonna be awesome for Canada! but honestly with his knee and club team security I don’t want some Caribbean shopkeeper to take out his knee and he’s done for another year. He’s not needed right now. When things get really serious in the later rounds , ya he should be there, I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t join ! He would be really stupid not too ! 

4 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

Regardless of whether he ever plays for us, I wish him all the best.  It's hard to imagine many things more frustrating than reaching the near-elite level of sporting competition only to have your body betray you like his has!

Despite not showing interest in playing for us, I actually feel the same way. I still hope he does well in case he finally decides to play for us, if not it's still nice to have a Canadian raised player playing at a decent level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We do need CBs and yes he is "playing" in Portugal, but it's a pretty big IF that he remains healthy if you ask me. The rigors of concacaf play would not be kind to a guy who can't seem to stay healthy as it is. It's a big ask for a guy who doesn't really seem interested in playing for us anyways.

8 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

We need CB’s.  He turned 28 just a couple weeks ago.  And he is playing in Portugal same league as Vitoria who gets call ups, then he could still help us for Qatar.

He got into the game today vs Bunbury’s old team today.

He doesn't really play though. 

This guy is 28 years old and barely has 100 professional appearances.

His good run with Braga was ages ago now.

If he decides to play for us tomorrow, then great - we will get him into a camp and see where he fits.   But I honestly don’t give a fuck about him at this point.  He doesn’t care about the Nats and is an aging player who is injury prone. I get that he might be a quick upgrade in the short term but there is no way I am pining over this guy.  

• 1 month later...

💥 BREAKING NEWS 💥

Herdman/Bontis/Montopoli continue to work hard at improving the MNT!

Ricardo Ferreira joins Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team Program

Ricardo Ferreira will represent Canada starting in 2021 after his change of national associations was approved. Ferreira joins Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team Program ahead of an exciting and full 2021 international calendar that features FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers starting in March 2021.

“We have worked hard to build the trust in Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team Program through our performances on the field and work off the field,” said John Herdman, Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team Head Coach. “Ricardo Ferreira is a modern centre back who has played at good levels in Europe, so we look forward to adding his experience to the Men’s National Team Program in 2021.”

Ferreira, a right-footed centre back, most recently played for SC Farense in Portugal. He is a former Portugal Cup winner with SC Braga and has played professional football in both Italy and Portugal. He also helped SC Braga reach the Quarter-Final stage of UEFA Europa League in 2015-16. At the international level, he represented Portugal at the youth level from 2008 to 2012 and made one appearance at the international “A” level in 2017 friendly match.

Before moving to Portugal, Ferreira of Mississauga, Ontario played for Dixie SC, Brampton YSC and TFC Academy. He won the Canada Soccer U-14 Cup with Brampton Blast in 2006 and took part in Canada Soccer’s National Training Centre in Vaughan, Ontario. He also played for Ontario’s youth select teams.

Ferreira is the latest player to switch national associations to represent Canada at the international level. Since 2018, other players that have chosen to represent Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team include Theo Corbeanu , Stephen Eustáquio, Cristián Gutiérrez, Frank Sturing and David Wotherspoon. In all, 21 different players have made their international “A” debut for Canada since 2018 including youngsters Zachary Brault-Guillard, Derek Cornelius, Jonathan David, Liam Fraser, Liam Millar, Jayden Nelson and Ballou Tabla.

As part of a busy 2021 international calendar, Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team are scheduled to face Aruba, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Suriname in an initial round of four matches in FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Qualifiers in March and June. Also in March, Canada Soccer’s Men’s U-23 National Team will complete in the Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifying in Guadalajara, Mexico. In July, Canada Soccer’s Men’s National Team are scheduled to compete in the Concacaf Gold Cup with group stage matches against Martinique, USA and a yet-to-be determined third opponent.

Edited by scooterlawrence5

On 12/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, dyslexic nam said:

If he decides to play for us tomorrow, then great - we will get him into a camp and see where he fits.   But I honestly don’t give a fuck about him at this point.  He doesn’t care about the Nats and is an aging player who is injury prone. I get that he might be a quick upgrade in the short term but there is no way I am pining over this guy.  

You were just a *couple* days off