Ricardo Ferreira

15 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This post did not age well! ;) A Liga NOS team, just like a team from any other top league, does not sign a player if they think there is a 0% chance he will play.

But is that really the case though?

He wasn't called up when he first signed with them. He's only able to play now because the league being suspended for several months. Ideally, the season should've finished 2 months ago. He got called up a month  after the league resumed play, after already taking 2 months off prior.

Teams do make this kind of signings at times.

Edited by Colliedor

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm pretty over this guy at this point. Rather just focus on the likes of Didic and Zator. They aren't in as good as leagues, but their the best in the CPL, younger and actually seem interested in playing for their country. They're also not made of rice krispies.

Ouch.  Let’s hope he doesn’t read this thread lol. 

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

I'm pretty over this guy at this point. Rather just focus on the likes of Didic and Zator. They aren't in as good as leagues, but their the best in the CPL, younger and actually seem interested in playing for their country. They're also not made of rice krispies.

Could've sworn he made a twitter post back in the day saying he would love to get a call up from Canada. I'm guessing CSA just weren't interested/didn't know about him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Fingers crossed for his fitness to stay strong. Feel we will get him tbh. Based on nothing!

He would have to be a moron frankly to not commit to Canada (if we even want him). He had his "dream" of playing for his family's country and he'll never be back. He has played just 69 professional games as a soon to be 28 year old... by comparison Alphonso Davies had played 70 matches for Vancouver prior to his 18th birthday (not including USL matches). Doneil Henry who is injury prone as well has played 165 pro matches. 

Now he has a chance to play a big part with Canada's golden generation and a guaranteed World Cup (if he holds up).

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He would have to be a moron frankly to not commit to Canada (if we even want him). He had his "dream" of playing for his family's country and he'll never be back. Now he has a chance to play a big part with Canada's golden generation and a guaranteed World Cup (if he holds up).

Canada would be stupid not to want him. I hope they are talking. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t want to get too excited.  He has averaged about 9 games a year in his career.   Lots of talent but just can’t ever stay healthy.

This is just one example but in another sport but remember when vince carter was injured all the time when he was younger then all of a sudden became an ironman. Maybe as he ages he will become a little less athletic but more durable. 

19 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

This is just one example but in another sport but remember when vince carter was injured all the time when he was younger then all of a sudden became an ironman. Maybe as he ages he will become a little less athletic but more durable. 

Yeah sure, but Vince Carter's minutes are significantly managed. He plays like 14 minutes a game. 

Perhaps Ferreira can be managed to be more durable too, but not sure International football would do him any favors.

That said, if he wants to play for us than I welcome him. He is showing signs he can play regularly in the Portuguese league, albeit at a mid-table team. That would put him in the same category as Vitoria (ironic), who is arguably a top 3 center back option for us right now. Of course, how you play is more important than if you play, and I haven't watched him yet.....

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah sure, but Vince Carter's minutes are significantly managed. He plays like 14 minutes a game. 

Perhaps Ferreira can be managed to be more durable too, but not sure International football would do him any favors.

That said, if he wants to play for us than I welcome him. He is showing signs he can play regularly in the Portuguese league, albeit at a mid-table team. That would put him in the same category as Vitoria (ironic), who is arguably a top 3 center back option for us right now. Of course, how you play is more important than if you play, and I haven't watched him yet.....

yeah at 42 however he was still starting until probably 35 years old. I think he got traded from the raptors around the same age as Ricardo and then became an ironman. 

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

yeah at 42 however he was still starting until probably 35 years old. I think he got traded from the raptors around the same age as Ricardo and then became an ironman. 

At the age of 35 he was only averaging 25 minutes per game and it was a percipitus drop from there, down to his current mpg of 14.

At 35, Lebron James comfortably averages over 30 minutes per game, if I am not mistaken. You can see the difference, right?

Point being, you can extend your career after a serious injury, but to do so you need to manage your minutes. This is what Vince Carter has done and so has any other athlete with this situation.

Same will be true for Ferreira I think. If he's willing to play for us than great, but the extra miles would shave time off his club career. 

I would be surprised if he played for us.

Edit: Aren't you a kenisiology major or something? I am surprised that you seem hopeful that Ferreria will become an iron man. Don't you think the extra games with Canada would make that more difficult / unlikely? 

Edited by Obinna

• 1 month later...

It seems like he was only on a 6 month contract or something (understandable, given his history of serious injury).

Belenenses seemed interested in re-signing him, but Ferreira went on vacation to the Maldives and went incommunicado (never replied to the interest):
https://www.record.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/belenenses-sad/detalhe/expectativa-no-belenenses-sad-por-ricardo-ferreira

As of a couple days ago, it seems like he has officially left Belenenses:
https://www.abola.pt/nnh/2020-09-07/belenenses-defesa-central-esta-por-horas/859809

Not sure if he is injured once more or simply with Unattached FC.