Ricardo Ferreira

Is it bad that I don't really care anymore if he joins or not? Of course I'd be happy if he did but if he doesn't commit, it doesn't really affect me and I don't feel he's THAT big of an addition for where our program is at right now as some people think. 

5 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Is it bad that I don't really care anymore if he joins or not? Of course I'd be happy if he did but if he doesn't commit, it doesn't really affect me and I don't feel he's THAT big of an addition for where our program is at right now as some people think. 

You're not alone.

Due to all the injuries he's barely played 100 pro games. Alphonso Davies has played more than he has.

Sure, I wish him the best, and if he wants to play with us and if we can use him I don't see why not, but first he must get his club career back on track and we can see what happens after that.

Edited by Obinna

• 4 months later...

Belenenses SAD played a match yesterday. Ferreira was not in the lineup. This article implies that he was on the injury list and therefore unavailable:

https://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/primeira-liga/artigos/covid-19-testes-negativos-no-belenenses-sad-antes-de-jogo-com-o-pacos-de-ferreira

I don't think he has gotten any minutes so far this season.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Belenenses SAD played a match yesterday. Ferreira was not in the lineup. This article implies that he was on the injury list and therefore unavailable:

https://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/primeira-liga/artigos/covid-19-testes-negativos-no-belenenses-sad-antes-de-jogo-com-o-pacos-de-ferreira

I don't think he has gotten any minutes so far this season.

Hasn’t been in an 18 since signing

13 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

The sad part of this situation is that if he gets healthy and plays any significant minutes he is immediately in the mix for the CMNT.  Here’s hoping he gets healthy and decides to represent the maple leaf!

Yeah I hope so too

On 6/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, Club Linesman said:

The sad part of this situation is that if he gets healthy and plays any significant minutes he is immediately in the mix for the CMNT.  Here’s hoping he gets healthy and decides to represent the maple leaf!

If he ever fully heals, plays lots of minutes and play to where he used to be, you have to go after him.

Under those circumstances, he's a starter with either Cornelius

1-A scenario where he gets back to 100% like Eustaquio would give us a solid duo at the position, although depth would still be an issue.

Ferreira-Cornelius

Ferreira-Vitoria 

Cornelius-Vitoria

Those would be our top 3 CB as of today.

2-Henry makes ne nervous. Consistency would be key and for his confidence, I would start him against weaker sides.

3- I think Zator, Didic, Waterman, Miller would be on the depth chart.

Henry is in the lineup for Herdman without a doubt.  He took him during a window when he was suspended and going to miss a game cause of his leadership.  Herdman will be starting Doneil in every meaningful game going forward until someone leaps over him in the Siz’s eyes. Let’s hope Ferreira stays healthy and plays regularly.  That would end Vitoria’s run in the team (and I rate him) but he is too slow to play against the faster forwards.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:04 PM, Club Linesman said:

Henry is in the lineup for Herdman without a doubt.  He took him during a window when he was suspended and going to miss a game cause of his leadership.  Herdman will be starting Doneil in every meaningful game going forward until someone leaps over him in the Siz’s eyes. Let’s hope Ferreira stays healthy and plays regularly.  That would end Vitoria’s run in the team (and I rate him) but he is too slow to play against the faster forwards.

I agree with this.  Herdman seems to rate Henry and Cornelius as our top CB’s unless anyone can displace them.  

I don’t think Ferreira is going to come over first of all and it would be hard to step over those 2 unless he was in incredible form.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:32 AM, TFC2017 said:

WIthout going back and reading the last 10 pages, do we have any recent indications that he might switch over to us, or is this another FIFA MANAGER scenario?? " If I switch Begovic, Bunbury, Jon Deguz,  Kadioglu, Ferreira and Tomori  back to CDN, I'll have a great squad!!"  

54 minutes ago, Floortom said:

If he becomes a regular rotational player in LigaNOS he’s automatically in play for us as a potential starter...it’s very possible as mentioned above that he wants nothing to do with international play given his calamitous injury history 

Except if there's a real shot at a world cup participation. 

He has no reasons to commit to us tomorrow or even during the WCQ in the middle of COVID.

But if Canada actually qualifies and Herdman calls, he'll wear the jersey. The world club is the dream of every footballer and playing in one can drastically increase someone's value going forward.

I think if we get to the "oct" or we are in good position in the "oct" to qualify, he might be the one making the call as an "overdue" returning the call situation... 

"Hey, remember me?"

He'd be the CB playing at the highest level available to us. If he's 100% healed and plays consistently, he's an automatic starter for Canada

This was the one friendly match he played for Portugal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fERoGd1hss

Not a great match for him.

On 6/20/2020 at 1:40 AM, Colliedor said:

Don't think they ever planned actually playing him this season.

This post did not age well! ;) A Liga NOS team, just like a team from any other top league, does not sign a player if they think there is a 0% chance he will play.

5 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I think it is more along the lines of us being his only option if he wants to play internationally.  No way he plays for Portugal.

I think so too. When he was playing for a top tier Liga NOS team, winning titles and playing in Europa league he got to play one friendly with Portugal. That's it. One match (in a camp with two friendlies - Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't even present)! There was likely a sense that he felt he could fight his way into the squad again if he proved himself during that camp; an old generation of centre backs were on their way out. There had been Benfica transfer rumours in the previous year. Now he is playing for a bottom tier Liga Nos team.

When you look at other centre-backs:
-Rúben Dias got his first call for the camp in March 2018, the camp right after the one Ferreira played in, and has since had several caps:
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rúben_Dias
-Even guys like Domingos Duarte and Rúben Semedo are getting calls.

Portugal just has too much depth; always more young players coming up through the ranks to pick from. 

If he gets regular minutes at Belenense he can fight his way into our 23 man squad without too much difficulty. To be able to play for Portugal again would require a comeback of epic and improbable proportions. And would he even get more than a few minutes here and there if he somehow, unlikely as it is, made that comeback?

On 6/18/2019 at 2:07 PM, BrennanFan said:

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/braga/noticias/interior/braga-desmente-ricardo-ferreira-sempre-teve-total-apoio-e-solidariedade-10994259.html

About a week ago, Ferreira gave an interview where he spoke about his future and his "dream of returning to the Portuguese national team".  Disappointing.

That interview was over a year ago now. I wonder if his perspective has changed. We had some good moments at the Gold Cup and the USA game at home. If we get stadium games with crowds again in the next 3 years he could play at BMO Field in front of friends and family; clearly he had a Portuguese dream but don't underestimate the attraction this could have to him given what he has had to deal with in the last 2½ years.