Ricardo Ferreira

16 hours ago, Yoginess said:

If healthy is he not our top defender? He’s anything but a “depth move”.

he’s either match fit and in our starting XI

or

injured and providing 0 depth

We must also consider the growth of Henry, James and Cornelius. Who knows where those players will be at when this guy finally gets healthy and rounds into form. All 3 may be ahead of him by then, if they aren't already. This is a guy who has played only 40 games for Braga in the last 4 years and he'll probably have to drop a standard in order to build himself back up.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We must also consider the growth of Henry, James and Cornelius. Who knows where those players will be at when this guy finally gets healthy and rounds into form. All 3 may be ahead of him by then, if they aren't already. This is a guy who has played only 40 games for Braga in the last 4 years and he'll probably have to drop a standard in order to build himself back up.

Also have to take into consideration the addition of Tomori as well! 😉

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

I doubt he would be showing up if we were still crap

Every game that Cav has played for us, his work rate has been tops. Battles for every challenge, goes in hard on tackles etc. That to me says a lot about his commitment? He has answered the bell for every game in CLN vs. minnows....what else can one ask of a player? 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Every game that Cav has played for us, his work rate has been tops. Battles for every challenge, goes in hard on tackles etc. That to me says a lot about his commitment? He has answered the bell for every game in CLN vs. minnows....what else can one ask of a player? 

All I'm saying is he left a sour taste in my mouth by saying that he regretted being cap tied by Canada and only showing up once in about 5 years, during a time when he was needed most to help rebuild

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

If Ferreira does join within the next year or so he starts currently alongside James. Obviously if Henry or Cornelius move on to a bigger club they could easily rival him but if they stay at their current level I can’t see them starting over him.

At this point it's not even clear that James is ahead of Henry. I am just as impressed at everyone else that James finally broke into a top Danish team, but I am waiting to see how he looks week-in and week-out. We see how good Henry has been for Vancouver.

I watched the friendly match he played for Portugal against the United States and he was absolutely skinned for pace on multiple occasions, and that was at the peak of his powers.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

All I'm saying is he left a sour taste in my mouth by saying that he regretted being cap tied by Canada and only showing up once in about 5 years, during a time when he was needed most to help rebuild

So it's noting about his current level of commitment, it's about your the sour taste he left in your mouth which is acceptable given his past actions. 

But if  that is the case, then just say you don't like what he did during that 5 year span, don't question his current commitment which has been on display the past 2 years. 

Edited by king1010

6 hours ago, king1010 said:

So it's noting about his current level of commitment, it's about your the sour taste he left in your mouth which is acceptable given his past actions. 

But if  that is the case, then just say you don't like what he did during that 5 year span, don't question his current commitment which has been on display the past 2 years. 

Fair enough

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's been a year since he re-injured himself and had to have surgery again trying to get back into playing again from his previous injury. Looks like his career has died due to these recurring injury problems.

You hate to see it. Very unfortunate 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Hope gets back to 100% and back to form. Have to think that Canada becomes his only option for international football 

Definitely his only option. He’s in the latter years of his 20s and has been battling very serious injuries for most of them. It would take something pretty incredible to get him back into Portugals plans. Here’s hoping he goes back to competing at a good level so he can even be a good option for us

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

If he can get his game back and signs on with us. Boom our CB problem is fixed and watch out concacaf !! Book your tickets for Qatar 2022 boys and girls !!

If he’s 100% he’s the CB we have been missing. He’s big, can really pass it, can handle speed, good in the air. He can be a true anchor back there! 

Ferreira , Vitoria, Henry, Cornelius, James, Miller, Kennedy, Didic, Gasparotto, Montgomery, Waterman, Romeo, Straith, Dunn- Johnson, Meilleur-Giguère, Facchineri, Lebre, Sadiki. 

im liking that list!!! Also who knows some diamond in the rough player comes out of nowhere. 

24 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If he can get his game back and signs on with us. Boom our CB problem is fixed and watch out concacaf !! Book your tickets for Qatar 2022 boys and girls !!

If he’s 100% he’s the CB we have been missing. He’s big, can really pass it, can handle speed, good in the air. He can be a true anchor back there! 

Ferreira , Vitoria, Henry, Cornelius, James, Miller, Kennedy, Didic, Gasparotto, Montgomery, Waterman, Romeo, Straith, Dunn- Johnson, Meilleur-Giguère, Facchineri, Lebre, Sadiki. 

im liking that list!!! Also who knows some diamond in the rough player comes out of nowhere. 

Not sure one player guarantees us qualification for 2020 but if (and that’s a big if) he regains his form and commits to us, that would be a big plus especially in the short term for next years qualification matches.

I would also add Higgins at TFC and Yao at the Impact to that list plus Halbouni now at Werner Bremen.

When you look at that list, you gotta expect that 1 or 2 of the kids emerge in the next year or so to be a full-time starter at the MLS or equivalent level and 1 or 2 more in a couple of years time.  Where I once thought CB was our weakest position, I now think depth wise it’s fullback (even if we may have one of the emerging world’s best at that position).

It’s an interesting question.  Now that I think about it we really may be 1 really top end CB away from a World Cup team.  We have a bunch of ok-to-solid CB’s in our pool with a bunch of depth of ok-to-solid guys but no stars.

If -big if- Ferreira returned to full health and form he may be good enough to put us over the top.  We haven’t had very strong CB’s

With Davies at LB and Laryea at RB we have a very solid set of CB’s.  Probably best in CONCACAF.  

Our midfield is probably 3rd best and our attacking options with Cav, David and Hoilett are probably 2nd best. 

13 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

With Davies at LB and Laryea at RB we have a very solid set of CB’s.  Probably best in CONCACAF. 

Ugh, Davies will NOT be an effective LB for Canada as he is for Bayern. In Bayern he is sorrounded by other world class defenders (one of them David freaking Alaba, a world class LB himself) who can quickly fill in any gaps left behind if Davies decides to move forward. Canada does not have that luxury. Just because he plays as LB for Bayern Munich does not mean he would be able to successfully do the same for Canada.