Ricardo Ferreira

15 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

I thought that once you are capped for a country you can't switch allegiances so if he was capped for Portugal then is he really eligible to make a nationality switch to Canada?

I am a little confused by your wording but Ferreira has only been capped in a friendly and therefore remains eligible to represent us.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Cripes this reminds me of what happened to Josh Simpson. 

Not really, Josh destroyed his knee in one incident in which the torque action when he landed on his leg twisted and broke leg bones in a spiral motion. This is just chronically weak ligament problems.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Not really, Josh destroyed his knee in one incident in which the torque action when he landed on his leg twisted and broke leg bones in a spiral motion. This is just chronically weak ligament problems.

I didnt mean the nature of the injury.  I meant didnt Simpson have a long lay off after knee problems and then trashed his knee again just when we was about to make his comeback?  

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Any update on this guy? Regardless of his international status I hope he doesn't have to hang them up due to injury.

Sort of held my breath when I opened this thread. I expected to read that he'd called it a career.

Happy to not find news of that, but it does speak to where he is right now. It's a sad story. Hopefully he can find a way back and get/stay healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/braga/noticias/interior/braga-desmente-ricardo-ferreira-sempre-teve-total-apoio-e-solidariedade-10994259.html

About a week ago, Ferreira gave an interview where he spoke about his future and his "dream of returning to the Portuguese national team".  Disappointing.

His recovery must be going well because Braga recently made an offer to extend his contract, which he rejected, blaming the club for his injury problems. 

He's a lost cause. If he can ever get back to the level of representing Portugal then great for him! Good luck, because he'll need it, big time.

If he doesn't want to be part of what we are building, no hard feelings. He's already going on 27 anyways. Let's wish him the best in his endevours to reach the highest levels he can.

Edited by Obinna

I think it’s good news he seems to be getting back to health. If he can get back to where he was a couple of years ago with Braga, I suspect he will eventually come over probably sooner than later as highly unlikely he will get the call from Portugal again and he is 27. He would be a good get for us in the lead up to the next World Cup. 

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I think it’s good news he seems to be getting back to health. If he can get back to where he was a couple of years ago with Braga, I suspect he will eventually come over probably sooner than later as highly unlikely he will get the call from Portugal again and he is 27. He would be a good get for us in the lead up to the next World Cup. 

For sure. I wouldn't tell him to get lost, but I won't be over the moon if he joined up like I would have been several years ago. I can't see him being any more than a depth piece at this point, and that would be the best case senario.

I just hope the young man can find some injury free first team football. From there, let the chips fall where they may. This is my attitude about him and his national team possibilities. 

19 hours ago, An Observer said:

I see him like I saw Vitoria. I'll take him, but he won't be a guy that I feel much of a connection to.

I sort of find myself feeling the same way  about Cavallini after all the years of not showing up. I was super stoked about him (or as stoked as I could be) after the Honduras game, but even with him showing up lately I don't see him as a guy who is fully committed to the cause.

But thankfully for once, we have plenty of young top level guys that are

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I see him like I saw Vitoria. I'll take him, but he won't be a guy that I feel much of a connection to.

I sort of find myself feeling the same way  about Cavallini after all the years of not showing up. I was super stoked about him (or as stoked as I could be) after the Honduras game, but even with him showing up lately I don't see him as a guy who is fully committed to the cause.

But thankfully for once, we have plenty of young top level guys that are

How is cavallini not committed to the cause now? 4 years ago sure, but nothing says he isnt committed now. 

If cav isnt committed because of not showing up for a couple of years, neither is Hoilett. 

Edited by king1010