Ricardo Ferreira

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Out of the 5 for 6 times, was the American teams based on MLS players or Aboard players?

I can't believe I did this for you, but here you go.

1998 - 5 out of 23 World Cup players had 0 MLS experience. That's including Kasey Keller who played for the Portland Timbers in 1989 (pre-MLS). 1 player started with the Columbus Crew in 1998 and I didn't include him in the 5. Claudio Reyna is in the 0 MLS experience list but played college soccer in the USA.
Of the 5 players, 2 of them were born outside of USA.

2002 - 7 players with 0 MLS experience. Kasey Keller is in this group too. It also includes Gregg Berhalter who played college soccer in USA and also played for Raleigh Flyers in the USISL in 1993. Two other players played college soccer in USA (Reyna again, and Steve Cherundolo)

2006 - 6 players with 0 MLS experience. Berhalter and Keller again. 5 of those 6 played college soccer in USA.

2010 - 6 players with 0 MLS experience. That includes Jay DeMerit who had played for Chicago Fire's PDL team, and Jonathan Spector who has Chicago Fire listed as a youth club he played at breifly. 4 out of 6 players played college soccer in USA.

2014 - 8 players with 0 MLS experience. I'm including Jermaine Jones who started playing for New England in 2014, I think he came over after the World Cup. 1 player played college soccer in USA. 5 of the 8 players were born outside of USA (4 from Germany, 1 from Norway). 2 of the 3 American born players are Aron Johannsson who grew up in Iceland from the age of 3
and the other was Julian Green who I believe moved to Germany when he was very young as well, but I don't know how old.

So that is 32 out of 115 roster spots, or 28%. Most of them were either born abroad or were developed in USA (that's why I mentioned the college players, since they would have been in their 20's when they moved abroad).

You asked at one point why do we lose so many dual national players. 2 reasons. First reason is because we suck. Second reason is because the fact we rely on other countries to do our development for us means that we filter out players that don't have strong ties to other countries.

• 1 month later...

He is seriously injured once again. This time it's his ligament(s) in his right knee. He was unlikely to go to Russian this summer; now it's certain he won't go.

http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/futebol-nacional/ricardo-ferreira-com-lesao-grave-no-joelho-falha-o-resto-da-epoca_d1050056

http://www.jn.pt/desporto/interior/ricardo-ferreira-e-operado-e-termina-epoca-9024518.html

55 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He is seriously injured once again. This time it's his ligament(s) in his right knee. He was unlikely to go to Russian this summer; now it's certain he won't go.

http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/futebol-nacional/ricardo-ferreira-com-lesao-grave-no-joelho-falha-o-resto-da-epoca_d1050056

http://www.jn.pt/desporto/interior/ricardo-ferreira-e-operado-e-termina-epoca-9024518.html

I think his chances of going to the World Cup ended when he got toyed with by CJ Sapong, still, feel bad for the guy. He just can't stay healthy.

• 5 months later...

Ricardo will turn 26 in Nov. Given his latest serious injury and the 1 Portugal cap, which as harrycoyster stated above, was a disaster, does anyone think that he will continue to holdout for Portugal? He only has one more cycle to make it for Portugal, after which it would be very unlikely given he would be 34......Vitoria committed much too late to have any major impact for the CMNT. I hope it is not the same for Ricardo.

29 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Ricardo will turn 26 in Nov. Given his latest serious injury and the 1 Portugal cap, which as harrycoyster stated above, was a disaster, does anyone think that he will continue to holdout for Portugal? He only has one more cycle to make it for Portugal, after which it would be very unlikely given he would be 34......Vitoria committed much too late to have any major impact for the CMNT. I hope it is not the same for Ricardo.

I wish he would ! Someone like him is the missing  piece. I doubt it though,  canada doesn’t play  against anyone Big. We can’t even get a friendly against the USA.  Playing with Portugal’s B team would give him more exposure and a bigger challenge. 

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wish he would ! Someone like him is the missing  piece. I doubt it though,  canada doesn’t play  against anyone Big. We can’t even get a friendly against the USA.  Playing with Portugal’s B team would give him more exposure and a bigger challenge. 

Friendlies will be a thing of the past after Russia.

Either he plays with Canada in the League of nations and helps us from now on or he never sees international play by waiting on Portugal who will field their best teams as much as possible as they will be matched with strong opponents as well.

This new League of Nations system is awesome as it pretty much forces countries to field their best teams. Players should have a better idea much faster on their chances at actually cracking the 1st team

53 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Friendlies will be a thing of the past after Russia.

Either he plays with Canada in the League of nations and helps us from now on or he never sees international play by waiting on Portugal who will field their best teams as much as possible as they will be matched with strong opponents as well.

This new League of Nations system is awesome as it pretty much forces countries to field their best teams. Players should have a better idea much faster on their chances at actually cracking the 1st team

You’re probably right but I hope not,  because the way I see it,  this confederation  League of Nations puts us at a disadvantage. Out of all  confederations concacaf is the weakest. Why would a player want  to play against Saint kits US Virgin Islands Jamaica  Costa Rica El Salvador Honduras US and Mexico when they can play against Iceland France Germany Russia England Italy Turkey  Czech Republic  etc. Or  Argentina Brazil Chile Ecuador Colombia or  ivory coast Egypt Congo Algeria Nigeria  etc.

The league of Nations concept is good but our confederation sucks. 

If he does come over we will have the team that can be top three in North America for awhile, we are only a few pieces away. And 2022 World Cup. 

Edited by SpecialK

22 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

You’re probably right but I hope not,  because the way I see it,  this confederation  League of Nations puts us at a disadvantage. Out of all  confederations concacaf is the weakest. Why would a player want  to play against Saint kits US Virgin Islands Jamaica  Costa Rica El Salvador Honduras US and Mexico when they can play against Iceland France Germany Russia England Italy Turkey  Czech Republic  etc. Or  Argentina Brazil Chile Ecuador Colombia or  ivory coast Egypt Congo Algeria Nigeria  etc.

The league of Nations concept is good but our confederation sucks. 

If he does come over we will have the team that can be top three in North America for awhile, we are only a few pieces away. And 2022 World Cup. 

That's only the qualifications phase. If we win all 4 games with lots of goals, we'll be in League A against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Trinidad and another one, most likely Jamaica.

As for playing against France, England, Spain etc... sure if they are good enough to make the A team... If not... Concacaf gives you a shot at a Continental trophy, maybe Copa America if it becomes a thing (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay etc...)

CONCACAF League of Nation has its upsides. Not everything is negative

Edited by Ansem

49 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's only the qualifications phase. If we win all 4 games with lots of goals, we'll be in League A against Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Trinidad and another one, most likely Jamaica.

As for playing against France, England, Spain etc... sure if they are good enough to make the A team... If not... Concacaf gives you a shot at a Continental trophy, maybe Copa America if it becomes a thing (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay etc...)

CONCACAF League of Nation has its upsides. Not everything is negative

I agree  it does have its upsides just wish  it didn’t  handcuff us. 

But there’s a huge difference between our best teams in North America and the best teams in the rest the world.  There’s a huge gap. 

I do wish one day Fifa  changes the confederations around or does something about  them 

6 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Why not, give him the call-up and force him to think about it. It's either playing on the big stage or not. 

15 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I agree  it does have its upsides just wish  it didn’t  handcuff us. 

But there’s a huge difference between our best teams in North America and the best teams in the rest the world.  There’s a huge gap. 

I do wish one day Fifa  changes the confederations around or does something about  them 

Any suggestions for how FIFA could change the confederations around?

I don’t think we are handcuffed by a terrible confederation. If it were below us we would probably qualify for the World Cup every once in a while.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Any suggestions for how FIFA could change the confederations around?

I don’t think we are handcuffed by a terrible confederation. If it were below us we would probably qualify for the World Cup every once in a while.

A few suggestions

1.Break up the conferences into smaller ones. For example  create an  Arctic confederation ,  Central America,  South America ,  Caribbean  ,Europe ,  middle east , Asia and  Oceana ( put back Australia with Oceana ).

2. Make  The confederations even bigger  combined North America with South America, just have  The Americas  confederation . 

3.  Get rid of the regional  League of Nations altogether and turn it into one global league. 

Yes with the league nations  it actually does  handcuff us when it comes to organizing Friendly’s with other nations from Europe Asia South America etc. 

We won’t be seeing canada versus England anytime soon, unless in  the World Cup. Concacaf only has really two football power houses and even  that is  Debateable.  Playing against power houses can be a great tool to convince players like  Ricardo and  others   to switch over.  These players could really help Canada become a top 30 nation . Now if   FIFA does its global league then everything changes. 

To me it’s sad that  we are at a time where Canada has to be forced to play games.   And to tell you the truth Some  rumours on how and why the league of Nations was created kinda make me sick.  There is some reporting out there saying  Victor is using the league nations to get votes from the Caribbean countries for his  climb  in FIFA.   To me I still find concacaf  corrupt and sometimes stupid case and point with Copa America 2019. To me canada would better off to leave if we had an  option 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

A few suggestions

1.Break up the conferences into smaller ones. For example  create an  Arctic confederation ,  Central America,  South America ,  Caribbean  ,Europe ,  middle east , Asia and  Oceana ( put back Australia with Oceana ).

2. Make  The confederations even bigger  combined North America with South America, just have  The Americas  confederation . 

3.  Get rid of the regional  League of Nations altogether and turn it into one global league. 

Yes with the league nations  it actually does  handcuff us when it comes to organizing Friendly’s with other nations from Europe Asia South America etc. 

We won’t be seeing canada versus England anytime soon, unless in  the World Cup. Concacaf only has really two football power houses and even  that is  Debateable.  Playing against power houses can be a great tool to convince players like  Ricardo and  others   to switch over.  These players could really help Canada become a top 30 nation . Now if   FIFA does its global league then everything changes. 

To me it’s sad that  we are at a time where Canada has to be forced to play games.   And to tell you the truth Some  rumours on how and why the league of Nations was created kinda make me sick.  There is some reporting out there saying  Victor is using the league nations to get votes from the Caribbean countries for his  climb  in FIFA.   To me I still find concacaf  corrupt and sometimes stupid case and point with Copa America 2019. To me canada would better off to leave if we had an  option 

England!  HA!  Do you really think a one-off game will convince people to flock to the CMNT?  How about we improve our ranking into the top 50, then we start talking about playing UEFA giants like Norway and Hungary, which would be at a similar level. 

Until then, let's try to beat teams like El Salvador and Honduras consistently.  Or more importantly, playing anyone.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

A few suggestions

1. This one sounds incredibly selfish. Sorry Sweden, turns out geographically speaking you should be travelling to Canada and USA for games instead of to far off places like Switzerland and France. This plan also makes weaker conferences for the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Asia, etc. Plus an Arctic Cup would be less exciting than the Gold Cup. Only a handful of teams so you would always play the same ones, probably not have any qualifying, maybe need guest Nations to round out the numbers. I vote no for this idea very strongly.

2. Not a terrible idea. The negatives would be the travel nightmare and selfishly speaking Canada could wave goodbye to any World Cup dreams, at least until it’s expanded to 80 teams or so.

3. The global League of Nations could be very cool if they can figure out how to make it work. Correct me if I am wrong but they are talking about doing this right? But I think it would be supplementing the regional versions rather than replacing them. I might be remembering some FIFA fan fiction though.

P.S. I know you are on the side of sacking the CSA due to lack of friendlies, but Canada has played England 1 time ever (the year we played in the World Cup, maybe we should have been qualifying for World Cups to get good friendlies).

9 hours ago, Kent said:

P.S. I know you are on the side of sacking the CSA due to lack of friendlies, but Canada has played England 1 time ever (the year we played in the World Cup, maybe we should have been qualifying for World Cups to get good friendlies).

There you go. 

• 2 weeks later...

When @Kadenge bumped this thread on June 6th, the one thing he didn't mention was...actual news about Ricardo Ferreira from June 4th!

http://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/braga/noticias/interior/calvario-de-ricardo-ferreira-podera-durar-quase-um-ano-9408570.html

It looks like he had a 2nd surgery. Due to the high risk of re-injury, he won't be playing again until December at the earliest.  His Braga contract expires in 1 year - assuming a recovery by the end of the year, he would only have 6 months left on it.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

When @Kadenge bumped this thread on June 6th, the one thing he didn't mention was...actual news about Ricardo Ferreira from June 4th!

http://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-liga/braga/noticias/interior/calvario-de-ricardo-ferreira-podera-durar-quase-um-ano-9408570.html

It looks like he had a 2nd surgery. Due to the high risk of re-injury, he won't be playing again until December at the earliest.  His Braga contract expires in 1 year - assuming a recovery by the end of the year, he would only have 6 months left on it.

CPL? 

What could have been as far as this man's career internationally. I mean yeah he did choose Portugal but what if he had chose Canada internationally?

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

But do you think a guy who is only 25, plays for Braga and has his sights on the Portugese National team would come to the CPL anytime soon? Realistically?

No he wouldn't but is he good enough to make the Portuguese squad?

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

The odds of him making the Portuguese square at age 27 for the next Euro, let alone 31 for Qatar are very slim now. Canada has to become a good option for him

I thought that once you are capped for a country you can't switch allegiances so if he was capped for Portugal then is he really eligible to make a nationality switch to Canada?