Ricardo Ferreira

Previous thread in "World Soccer" section here: http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/25931-ricardo-ferreira/

I figured I would start another "The Importance" thread. Apologies to @Tuscan :D

If we can have a thread about Cristante in the MNT section (who played with the Italy U21’s a month ago!), we can have a thread to talk about this guy because we will anyways in other threads:

On 2/21/2016 at 3:26 PM, jpg75 said:

I doubt Ferreira would switch now. He's 23 and starts for SC Braga, arguably the fourth best/biggest club in Portugal behind Porto, Benfica and Sporting. He likely believes he's on the Portuguese radar and just a matter of time until he gets the call.

Floro’s system relies on a very defensive shape; Floro is never going to leave that system until we have better defenders that can cope far better with the attack that CONCACAF teams will throw at us. In the past few months, Ferreira has been getting serious playing time at a very high level with Braga. No defender we currently have is playing at that kind of level with that kind of frequency. Against Honduras our Centre Backs were Straith (playing in 2nd Division Norway) & Jaković (will be playing in 2nd Division Japan). Granted vs Mexico we will have Vitória and Edgar but Vitória is effectively playing for Unattached FC at the moment and League 1 is a solid level but not as high as the Primeira Liga + Europa League.

In a reversal of the previous trend, in the past 10 months or so, we have seen several players commit to Canada that could have gone elsewhere: Tesho Akindele, Fraser Aird, David Jr Hoilett, Steven Vitória & finally it would seem that Scott Arfield is on board as well. In Squizz’s December interview, Montagliani said “I’m confident we’re going to have at least two, maybe three more announcements in 2016 (hopefully in time for the Mexico games)”. http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/31/canadian-soccer-association-president-victor-montagliani-assesses-program-after-very

Most speculation on “#3” has been Leutwiler but could it be Ferreira? After what we’ve seen in the past year, would it be that crazy? 10 months ago nobody would have believed we'd get those 5 players on board!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

Remind us what his connection to Canada is ?

Born in Mississauga. Grew up in the GTA. Played for TFC's Academy. Jumped over to Porto and then Milan's youth systems.

...and on Sunday he played a full game for Braga when they beat Porto 3-1.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Ferreira_(Portuguese_footballer)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

Ballpark idea only but what are the chances this guy even considers a CanMNT call?

In the near future he probably won't get called to Portugal, but probably after the 2018 WC his chances will increase significantly. Right now 3 of the top 4 Portuguese CB's are born in 1983 or earlier (Bruno Alves, Pepe and Jose Fonte). Ferreira will eventually be competing with the likes of Luis Neto (88/Zenit St. Petersburg), Paulo Oliveira (92/Sporting CP) and Andre Pinto (89/Braga - Ferreira's partner) who have appeared for the Senior NT. There are also the guys ahead of him with the last U21 team: Tiago Ilori (93/Liverpool), Tobias Figueiredo (94/Sporting CP) and Frederico Venancio (93/Vitoria Setubal) and arguably the top CB from the current U21's is Ruben Vezo (94/Valencia).

It's a crowded group of decent prospects, but all it takes is a run of good form and Ferreira gets a call for a qualifier and he's gone forever. I say 10% chance he plays for us and it's likely he wouldn't switch before 2020 or unless we make the WC.

edit: Ok, maybe 10% is a little low. I'll change it to 30% he plays for us. He would have to continue playing at a high level for the next couple of years and then transfer to a bigger club/league to ensure a Portugal callup imo.

Edited by jpg75

17 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Guys like this aren't worth our energy.

Well Junior Hoilett was. It only took 75+ pages of posting about him! ;)

@BuzzAndSting had a theory that Leutwiler was the possible 3rd new face (the "possible" being about his serious injury recently) but another theory could be in fact that Arfield was the "possible 3rd" because he didn't (or still doesn't) have a Canadian passport. The "2nd" player could be somebody who already does have the passport like Ferreira.

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Born in Mississauga. Grew up in the GTA. Played for TFC's Academy. Jumped over to Porto and then Milan's youth systems.

...and on Sunday he played a full game for Braga when they beat Porto 3-1.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Ferreira_(Portuguese_footballer)

So essentially this guy is Steven Vitoria. He is what I would consider to be first and foremost Canadian (born and raised in Canada), but left Canada to pursue a career in soccer. While doing so another opportunity presented itself which he took. Now we are left hoping that he is good but not too good. 

An unfortunate situation for us as Canada fans. I really wish young players wouldn't do this, but hopefully as the Opportunities here in north America become better this will happen less and less 

1 hour ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

So essentially this guy is Steven Vitoria. He is what I would consider to be first and foremost Canadian (born and raised in Canada), but left Canada to pursue a career in soccer. While doing so another opportunity presented itself which he took. Now we are left hoping that he is good but not too good. 

An unfortunate situation for us as Canada fans. I really wish young players wouldn't do this, but hopefully as the Opportunities here in north America become better this will happen less and less 

This is the curse of Canada being a salad unlike our melting pot neighbours

Edited by Guest

41 minutes ago, canta15 said:

This is the curse of Canada being a salad unlike our melting pot neighbours

Giuseppe Rossi, Neven Subotic, Jesse Gonzalez... 

Americans have the same problems we do.  Their only advantage is the strength of their NT but even then they have defectors.

I don't think I've ever seen an interview with or about Ricardo Ferreira. Does anyone have something with quotes from the guy? 

I want to slag the guy for not playing for Canada, but I've got nothing to chew on.

Edited by yomurphy1

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Americans have the same problems we do.  Their only advantage is the strength of their NT but even then they have defectors.

Less of a big deal, but Tchani got added to that part today 

Edited by Complete Homer

31 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Where is this guy versus Vitoria at the same age? Better prospect? Worse? The same?

At the same age (22) Vitoria was on loan to 2nd division side Covilha from Porto. He didn't play in the Superliga until he was 25.

9 hours ago, Keegan said:

Giuseppe Rossi is hardly a defector.  I have to play devils advocate here and argue that simply born somewhere does not necessarily make you of that country.  Sure, it gives you citizenship, but playing for a nation is about your heart.  Rossi is American by one nationality, but he never wavered, and represented Italy at every level because presumably, that is what his heart said.  I suspect this has much to do with his upbringing. 

This is very much unlike Hargreaves, who didn't say from the get go that he wanted to play for England, but as we all know shopped for his best option. 

As child of an immigrant, I can very easily see how upbringing plays a role in what your heart says.

But the big problem for me is players that go back and forth.  This is NOT Rossi.  Look at Tony Tchani... man, what a move by him eh.

9 hours ago, RJB said:

Giuseppe Rossi is hardly a defector.  I have to play devils advocate here and argue that simply born somewhere does not necessarily make you of that country.  Sure, it gives you citizenship, but playing for a nation is about your heart.  Rossi is American by one nationality, but he never wavered, and represented Italy at every level because presumably, that is what his heart said.  I suspect this has much to do with his upbringing. 

This is very much unlike Hargreaves, who didn't say from the get go that he wanted to play for England, but as we all know shopped for his best option. 

As child of an immigrant, I can very easily see how upbringing plays a role in what your heart says.

But the big problem for me is players that go back and forth.  This is NOT Rossi.  Look at Tony Tchani... man, what a move by him eh.

I can see your point but by that logic then Jonathan De Guzman isn't a defector either.  I don't think growing up in New Jersey is akin to growing up Italian either but that's not our problem so I'm not bothered. 

Tony Tchani isn't really a relatable example either of a defector, he was born and lived in Cameroon until 15 and hasn't been involved with any NT set up until a few months ago.  He is well within his right to switch IMO.

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

I can see your point but by that logic then Jonathan De Guzman isn't a defector either.  I don't think growing up in New Jersey is akin to growing up Italian either but that's not our problem so I'm not bothered. 

Tony Tchani isn't really a relatable example either of a defector, he was born and lived in Cameroon until 15 and hasn't been involved with any NT set up until a few months ago.  He is well within his right to switch IMO.

Rossi never led on the US. He was clear with his intentions from when he first was at Parma's academy. de Guzman led Canada on especially when he wore the jacket and said he'd like to play with his brother.

Edited by Vince193

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Rossi never led on the US. He was clear with his intentions from when he first was at Parma's academy. de Guzman led Canada on especially when he wore the jacket and said he'd like to play with his brother.

Jonathan never led on Canada. Julian did, but the fact that Jonathan wore a jacket could be because he's proud of his brother and his friends because he's friends with many of them. 

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

I can see your point but by that logic then Jonathan De Guzman isn't a defector either.  

Jonathan's parents aren't Dutch. He wasn't raised Dutch prior to moving there for footballing reasons. He spent all his off seasons in Canada

32 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Jonathan's parents aren't Dutch. He wasn't raised Dutch prior to moving there for footballing reasons. He spent all his off seasons in Canada

I feel like that is the key differentiator with JDG2 and Rossi