The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another quality chance.  Canada should be up 3-0.  Going down a player early in the game was a blessing.  They they are forced to play compact and play counter.  And they are getting tons of quality chances on the counter. 

Edit.: Now its 2-0

Just now, AvroArrow said:

What on earth was the Australian keeper doing?  Sinclair still had to out run two Australian defenders from the half way line.  Australia has gifted Canada two goals, though Canada took full advantage.

I was just wondering that myself.  What was that keeper thinking?  Great composure from Sinclair, though.

In many respects, as expected, Australia was the better team; hard to tell just how much better because of our red card.

2 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

An excellent result.  Australia were actually the bookies' favourites going into this match.  We should make the quarterfinals easily now.  If we can beat Zimbabwe by enough goals, we may even end up playing a third place team in the quarters.

That's not how it works for our group. We actually want to advance in second place to avoid France or the USA. See the earlier post in this thread.

@umpiredice

12 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

An excellent result.  Australia were actually the bookies' favourites going into this match.  We should make the quarterfinals easily now.  If we can beat Zimbabwe by enough goals, we may even end up playing a third place team in the quarters.

Not at Bet 365 Canada was the favourite.

58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Great result.  And maybe just as important as the result - we played really well. Even at a woman down, we still created good chances.  I think some of it was due to Auzzie mistakes, but overall I think the girls played really well (PK aside). 

Well done girls.

Yes. This is the kind of game that if you didnt see it and just looked at the stats sheet, you would say "here we go again".   But of the 22 shots by the aussie, how many were really dangerous?  The four by canada were all really legit and probably should have gone in.  Score could legitamately have been 4-0.

PS.:. That PK should not have been awarded to Canada.  Bad call. That was ball to hand. If that. 

Huge win! Labbe is the real deal. The addition of Beckie and Fleming make this team much more dynamic on attack than they've been in years, but both lack a little in experience/poise, as evident by the penalty and breakaway misses by both respectively. Lawrence is a boss! Plays with Buchanan-esque composure. The whole team held their shape and defended superbly. Despite all the possession, Australia was more or less limited to shots from beyond the 18 and crosses from the flanks. The deciding factor in this game IMO was definitely Canada's ability to stay compact and organized after they went down to 10. Great win and sets us up very well for the rest of the tournament.

Comparing this particular game to any game in the WWC2015, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how much we are able to create offensively. We just seem way more likely to generate something now. You know what I mean, when you get that feeling that a goal could happen and you're anticipating it? I spent most of WWC wondering where a goal might come from and hoping, now there are times when I can see the possibility much more clearly. 

It's still early in the tournament, and an unfortunate result vs Zimbabwe would really turn things. But it's nice for a change to be able to focus on improvements and achievements. 

5 hours ago, baxtefer said:

You've got it backwards :)

Beckie             Sinclair           Tancredi

Fleming           Scott                Matheson

Lawrence        Zadorsky          Buchanan       Wilkinson

Labbe

Haha. Must have had Floro-ball on my mind.

Luckiest player on Canada was that goalkeeper Herdman started named Labbe.  How Australia could not win against butterfingers Labbe is beyond me.  What a comedy of errors this keeper puts together.  Saved by the quick defenders time and time again.

12 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Luckiest player on Canada was that goalkeeper Herdman started named Labbe.  How Australia could not win against butterfingers Labbe is beyond me.  What a comedy of errors this keeper puts together.  Saved by the quick defenders time and time again.

Give it a rest, you're really becoming an ass on this.  i suppose you thought the Australian keeper was brilliant.

21 minutes ago, The Ref said:

Did we watch the same game?

Archived