Sign in to follow this  
Olympique_de_Marseille

The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

I'm a little out of the loop but I was surprised to read this (the bolded part not the headline)

Christine Sinclair says Rio Olympics won’t be her last tournament
John Molinaro Sportsnet.ca June 3, 2016

Herdman told reporters last week that players who were at last year’s World Cup and who did not make the squad for the Brazil friendlies—most notably Kaylyn Kyle, Lauren Sesselmann, Carmelina Moscato, Jonelle Filigno and Adriana Leon—have a slim chance of being named to the Olympic team at this point… Herdman will have to trim his roster from 20 to 18 players for the Olympic tournament

Here's the roster for the Olympics:

GK

Stephanie Labbé, Stony Plain, AB

Sabrina D’Angelo, Welland, ON

D

Kadeisha Buchanan, Brampton, ON

Josée Bélanger, Coaticook, QC

Rhian Wilkinson, Baie-d’Urfé, QC
Shelina Zadorsky, London, ON

Allysha Chapman, Courtice, ON

Rebecca Quinn, Toronto, ON

M

Diana Matheson, Oakville, ON

Sophie Schmidt, Abbotsford, BC
Desiree Scott, Winnipeg, MB

Ashley Lawrence, Caledon, ON

Jessie Fleming, London, ON

Deanne Rose, Alliston, ON

F

Christine Sinclair, Burnaby, BC

Melissa Tancredi, Ancaster, ON

Janine Beckie, Highlands Ranch, CO
Nichelle Prince, Ajax, ON

Alternates
Kailen Sheridan - GK

Marie-Eve Nault - D

Kaylyn Kyle - M
Gabrielle Carle - F

No real surprises, given this is the team that Herdman went with for the friendlies against The Netherlands and Brazil. The alternates named are according to Neil Davidson [http://www.tsn.ca/sinclair-leads-canadian-olympic-roster-1.511312].

Edited by sloth8

I amused myself by adding up the goals for the selected players, and got 104 for everyone except Sinclair.  Granted that half of the team is young and their total will go up over time, but I wonder if it will reach Sinclair's 162+?

[ 1  ]  That first match with Australia  will be intense. The Matildas are a scary side who claimed convincingly the top spot in the final round of the AFC Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament with four wins ( Japan,Vietnam,South Korea, North Korea ) and a draw ( China ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1lXG0KaCXg

And the Matildas won the tournament without Sam Kerr, who has been injured for most of 2016, but could back for the 2016  Rio Olympics.The Matildas are even more scary if they get Sam Kerr back.. Kerr is a  22 year old Australian striker, who has scored more goals in the NWSL than Christine Sinclair:

Christine Sinclair    2013   Portland Thorns               20 GP    8 g           2 a

2014   Portland Thorns               23 GP    6 g           5 a

2015    Portland Thorns               9  GP     2 g          2 a

2016    Portland Thorns               5  GP     2 g          0 a

Totals           57 GP   18 g        9  a

Sam Kerr             2013      Western NY Flash        19  GP     6 g        5  a

2014      Western NY Flash         20  GP    9  g        4 a

2015      Sky Blue                          9  GP     6 g        2 a

2016      Sky Blue                          1  GP     0 g        0 a

Totals        49  GP   21 g       11a 

[ 2 ]  Sam Kerr in the Australian W-League:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D54bEMTpns

Official 2016 Matildas Olympic Roster:

Goalkeepers: Lydia Williams (Houston Dash/Canberra United), Mackenzie Arnold (Perth Glory)

Defenders: Clare Polkinghorne (Brisbane Roar), Laura Alleway (Orlando Pride / Melbourne City), Alanna Kennedy (WNY Flash / Sydney FC), Stephanie Catley (Orlando Pride / Melbourne City), Ellie Carpenter (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Midfielders: Elise Kellond-Knight ( Turbine Potsdam ), Emily van Egmond (FFC Frankfurt), Katrina Gorry (Brisbane Roar), Tameka Butt (Brisbane Roar), Caitlin Foord (Perth Glory), Chloe Logarzo (Eskilstuna United / Newcastle Jets)

Forwards: Lisa De Vanna (Melbourne City), Michelle Heyman (Canberra United), Kyah Simon (Boston Breakers / Sydney FC), Samantha Kerr (Sky Blue FC / Perth Glory), Larissa Crummer (Melbourne City)

UPDATE:

Matildas  four  alternates: GK - Casey Dumont (Sydney FC), DF - Caitlin Cooper (Western City Wanderers),  MF- Aivi Luik ( Notts County Ladies ), F - Emily Gielnik ( Sydney FC )

Edited by tc-in-bc

On 7/5/2016 at 10:37 PM, Vic said:

Thanks Vic.. was hoping to get a good line vs Australia, a game I think we will lose. Would be interesting to know how much money gets laid on women's soccer from a gambling perspective.

Canada is 3-1 against them.  They're favoured at 2.4 to 1 against us and the draw is 3.5 to 1.

China almost 6.5 to 1 against Brazil.  Interesting.

Edited by Vic

On 6/1/2016 at 7:21 AM, Blackdude said:

I doubt it. Sportsnet or TSN will carry the games in full.

Wait... someone please tell me because I am getting someone to record the games.  So CBC won't broadcast Canada's group stage games?  I have to find someone who has Sportsnet or TSN?

14 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Wait... someone please tell me because I am getting someone to record the games.  So CBC won't broadcast Canada's group stage games?  I have to find someone who has Sportsnet or TSN?

CBC will probably broadcast the first game because it's the only sport going on. For the other matches, I don't know, the Olympics will be in full swing and a soccer match is not the best for CBC because soccer matches are not optimal for ads and what nots. 

A quick look at the online schedule shows that the CBC will be broadcasting about 18 hours per day of the Olympics.  I would expect that they would show every Canadian game, since they have plenty of time to fill.

8 hours ago, rkomar said:

A quick look at the online schedule shows that the CBC will be broadcasting about 18 hours per day of the Olympics.  I would expect that they would show every Canadian game, since they have plenty of time to fill.

Sure, they will show highlights, but full matches are hard. Unless CBC believes that CanWNT is so popular that they deserve to be live on their main network which is possible because I haven't checked what is going on against them. Just looking at the Zimbabwe match, the women's basketball team is playing at 14:15 against China and the woso team plays at 15:00. Sergio Pessoa in judo could be trying to medal starting at 15:30. I'm sure that they'll show highlights, but I don't think one can guarantee that they'll show the full match on CBC live for that reason.  I would wait until CBC confirms that they'll be showing the games in full, because they will try to show live vents so in the evening you have multiple swimming finals. I wouldn't be surprised if CBC puts Canada games as on demand content. TSN did that 4 years ago.

For sure, CBC is showing the first match since it is before the full Olympics start. I'm surprised that they are showing the other 2 games. CTV model was to let TSN or Sportsnet carry the team sports in full and pop in when the action was compelling (i.e vs the USA) or show the full match when it was really meaningful (i.e vs France). 

But in seeing their promos, CBC does have one focused exclusively on the women's soccer team. So, the team has been elevated to be on par with the women or men hockey team during the Olympics - other sports move to TSN or Sportsnet while CBC carries Canada soccer.

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Sorry I may have misspoke above. I've been told the games will be broadcast in full but not necessarily that they will be shown on CBC. Reed & Rustad will have the call for each game. 

Oh, that's more what I thought. I said that all Canada games will be live on some network from start to finish, but it won't be for sure the CBC. All Canada games were live on one network from start to finish. (Not sure for South Africa match because I watched it on demand)

A strange thought just occured to me:

Remember the Japan - South Africa intentional draw back in 2012? http://www.yahoo.com/news/olympics--japan-s-women-s-soccer-team-plays-to-intentional-draw--fifa-clears-tactic.html

Well, I was just thinking, the match schedule is as follows:

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/73/19/20/olympicgames_rio_matchschedulemix_fifa_02052016_neutral.pdf

So in the quarter finals:
2F(If we are 2nd in our group) plays 2E (likely Brazil, China or Sweden)
1F (If we are 1st in our group) plays 2G (likely France - maybe the USA on a bad day)

If I was Herdman, I'd much rather play Brazil, China or Sweden over France or the USA. So if we beat Australia on Wednesday, and Zimbabwe on the Saturday after, and Germany has two wins also after their two games, would we play for a loss or maybe a draw if our goal difference was worse?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

It's true. Second place in  Group F is an attractive spot. The Matildas know that as well:

QUOTE :  " Topping the group will see the Matildas take on the runner up from Group G which include defending Olympic gold medallists the USA and European power France. " -  Ann Odong.

QUOTE  " A runner up spot will see Australia take on the runner up from a Group E which includes hosts Brazil, confederation mates China and Sweden. "  -  Ann Odong

http://thewomensgame.com/2016/04/matildas-draw-in-group-f-for-rio-2016/

Guys, can someone answer this confusing question?  I googled this and the Olympics start on August 5th.  Why on earth does Canada play Australia on August 3rd, before the Olympics start?  I thought maybe that was a pre-Olympics game but it is not.  It's a group stage game.

6 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Guys, can someone answer this confusing question?  I googled this and the Olympics start on August 5th.  Why on earth does Canada play Australia on August 3rd, before the Olympics start?  I thought maybe that was a pre-Olympics game but it is not.  It's a group stage game.

They need to start it early so that it concludes by the closing ceremonies.  Given the number of matches involved, and the need for rest periods between each match, the Olympic soccer tourney takes longer than the full duration of the Olympic Games.  So rather than have it conclude after the closing ceremonies or extend the schedule of the other events, they simply start it prior to the opening ceremonies.