The 2016 Rio Olympics thread: August 3rd to 19th

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Something REALLY doesn't make sense to me.  Why didn't Canada collect their medals in the same ceremony as Germany and Sweden?  Four years ago, we stood on the podium along with USA and Japan.  This year, apparently we got the medals earlier.

More importantly, why won't CBC show the medal ceremony?  I want to watch our women collect their bronze medals!  The link to the entire game (http://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/soccer-women-bronze-medal-match-bra-can.html) doesn't even include them collecting medals at the end.  Anyone know where I can watch that?

I had a long search but only could find 24sec of it. https://twitter.com/cbcolympics/status/766742329126379524

And thinking about it, it's better that their ceremony is separate from the silver/gold medal ceremony.  They get more attention, and they wouldn't be tempted to look at the gold medalists and start thinking about what could have been.  Four years ago, when they had to share the ceremony with USA and Japan, Hope Solo even criticized the Canadians for not shaking their hands, saying that maybe they didn't know the procedures.  This is a way better medal ceremony than in London.

15 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

And thinking about it, it's better that their ceremony is separate from the silver/gold medal ceremony.  They get more attention, and they wouldn't be tempted to look at the gold medalists and start thinking about what could have been.  Four years ago, when they had to share the ceremony with USA and Japan, Hope Solo even criticized the Canadians for not shaking their hands, saying that maybe they didn't know the procedures.  This is a way better medal ceremony than in London.

The gold in 2012 by the US was the result of a poor referee and Wambach taking advantage of the weak referee and intimidating her to force a win against Canada.  This year Karma caught up with them.

16 hours ago, rkomar said:

With major traffic problems in Rio, I'm guessing they thought they couldn't get the bronze medal winners from Sao Paolo to the Maracana in time for the ceremony.  My memory is hazy, but didn't our team have trouble getting there in time at the last olympics?

Once they decide to have these games at different venues, there is no good option.  It's not fair to those who paid to see the bronze medal game to not see the medals handed out.  Ultimately both games should be  spread farther out in time but at the same stadium.  

My friend was in Brazil to see Olympics in her home town.  She bought tickets to the final expecting them to be there and then didn't see them play because they were playing far away for Bronze.  Maybe this was a blessing.  She would have likely bought tickets to both medal games if it was feasible to attend both.

It's also a fancy little medal stand.  The medal fits into one of the holes.

Edit: Alexandra Popp figures it out during the medal ceremony (~2:43:40 of the stream).  The medal slots into one of the sides.  I don't know if it actually fits in the big hole, though.

Just a few thoughts on the Canadian team.  Fantastic showing and as I said before i couldn't be more proud.  What disappoints me is when athletes underachieve as sometimes Canadian athletes do.  This team far exceeded expectations.  Every team they defeated was their equal or better. 

I didn't think we would beat Germany once let alone twice, the rest I thought we would be competitive.

I am all for a turnover of the old guard in regards to skills except for one thing.  We sorely lack experience with the age discrepancy between the old guard and the young.  We have few players in the midrange so i think it would be disastrous for all the vets to be left off the team or retire just yet.

Players who came out of the woodwork for me:  Quinn played well in every opportunity she had.  Fleming, Lawrence and Beckie all cranked it up a notch in experience and decision making.  Rose (despite the goal) and Prince still have some dues to pay.

I must say I was surprised we beat France as I said above we didn't look right, but i guess they were super focused.  I wasn't worried about Brasil, they didn't look right pre game and we looked ready.

Having said that, one thing I don't recall seeing in a long long time is intimidation.  I can't recall the last time I saw this team being intimidated by another team, the other side may be better or more skilled but we always come to play and play away (in the other team's home) exceptionally well.  This group almost always has.  Now i know how Herdman's MMA psychology seems to pay off.

Archived