Whitecaps 2016

TRM

And with Perez and Hurtado on the field last night we had our best chance and scored the winning goal only to have it called back by the sideline ref for handball. The replay showed it to be an iffy call at best.

Seiler at RB gave us very little going forward, didn't block any crosses but was marginally better than Smith defending. I hope to see Aird next game.

Edgar (along with Davies, Bustos, Froese & McKendry) has been loaned to the Caps2 squad for Sunday's game. I guess they want to play him up to match fitness a bit more before they inflict Houston's heat and humidity on him.

Once again Ousted saved several and got us the point.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the same thing happened the other way with the Rochat dealto DCU a few years ago so maybe it is payback in a way although DCU ended up doing pretty well financially on his transfer to Switzerland and it is possible the Caps will do well in Espindola transferring to Mexico. While there are tampering rules in MLS one would think that when a deal is near that the prospective new club would be able to talk with the player to make sure he wanted to go to them. For the Caps one of the most attractive things of acquiring Espindola was that the contract was finished at the end of the season but players with small children are often not will to leave for short periods of time and it seems Vancouver was not interested in offering a longer term deal, they basically wanted him just for the rest of the season. Still while I can understand Rochat transferring back to Switzerland with his family, if doing what is best for a young family is the primary concern Mexico does not seem to be the place to go as attractive as the playing level and money of LIga MX are. Though to be fair there are pretty big differences between different cities and regions concerning the safety factor.

LOL. They probably had to do this but this is one of the most deceitful press releases ever. Caps: We traded for him but then Mexican team gave us an offer we couldn't refuse Espindola: I love Vancouver but the Necaxa gave me a deal that was so good for my family otherwise I would have come to Vancouver. 

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/07/26/whitecaps-fc-transfer-striker-fabian-espindola?utm_source=social_share&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=social_share_button

With those 2 it wasn't so much the talent missing as it was the lack of further development. You get young players in and you know they are incomplete but you expect them to continue progressing and develop. I've not seen much of that from either.

Like Robbo said when you have players in your academy outsiders need to be clearly better. Those 2 were not so off they go.

The funny thing about parity-laden MLS is that a club can have a crap to mediocre run at this time of year yet still barely squeeze into the playoffs, but then get really hot and/or lucky and have a great run, sometimes ending with the playoff championship.  On the other hand, teams that have looked like world beaters ride into the playoffs flat and end up getting bounced in their first round series.  

Probably will happen again this year.  

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Deybi Flores leaving? Thank fucking christ! Why they signed him to a 5 year deal to begin with was beyond me. Just a mind numbingly stupid decision.

Edit: I see it is just a loan deal. I stand by my statement!

Apparently Robbo saw him play and was tracking him as he thought he could be a great box-2-box mid. In the end he wasn't better than Froese so it was a gamble that didn't work. No Yaya Toure this time.

You got to roll the dice sometimes and getting your numbers to come up isn't going to happen often especially with young players. But if / when it does you score big.

All still rumours at this point as the club linked to Smith has said otherwise. It gives us a hint at who they are looking to move next.

On August 1, 2016 at 5:17 PM, BearcatSA said:

The funny thing about parity-laden MLS is that a club can have a crap to mediocre run at this time of year yet still barely squeeze into the playoffs, but then get really hot and/or lucky and have a great run, sometimes ending with the playoff championship.  On the other hand, teams that have looked like world beaters ride into the playoffs flat and end up getting bounced in their first round series.  

Yes.  This is problem.  And, also a huge pet peeve of mine about the the playoff system.  It happens time and time again and not just in MLS but other soccer leagues of past and present in North America.   Portland had a decent team last year, but were they really the best team in the league?  Not in my book. They had an interesting push at the end of the season to grab third place.  But if recall correctly, they were below the playoff line for much of the season. 

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  This is problem.  And, also a huge pet peeve of mine about the the playoff system.  It happens time and time again and not just in MLS but other soccer leagues of past and present in North America.   Portland had a decent team last year, but were they really the best team in the league?  Not in my book. They had an interesting push at the end of the season to grab third place.  But if recall correctly, they were below the playoff line for much of the season. 

And in a couple of matches around this time last year they looked especially poor.

On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 at 5:17 AM, BearcatSA said:

No different to hockey, where a large percentage of teams make the play-offs. Even starting to happen more in baseball with wildcards in the WS. 

9 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

No different to hockey, where a large percentage of teams make the play-offs. Even starting to happen more in baseball with wildcards in the WS. 

True.  The same thing does happen in hockey. I can name probably have a dozen to a dozen stanley cup winners who were not the best team the season they won the cup.  This year would be one example as would one or two years in the past when Pittsburgh didnt win.   The NBA is the complete opposite, and thats not neceesarily ideal either. 

But this problem seems more acute in soccer. It was the same in the USL days of past and even the NASL of yester year.  You know that you have a fair system when the top team(s) win it all at least half the time. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

True.  The same thing does happen in hockey. I can name probably have a dozen to a dozen stanley cup winners who were not the best team the season they won the cup.  This year would be one example as would one or two years in the past when Pittsburgh didnt win.   The NBA is the complete opposite, and thats not neceesarily ideal either. 

But this problem seems more acute in soccer. It was the same in the USL days of past and even the NASL of yester year.  You know that you have a fair system when the top team(s) win it all at least half the time. 

I guess my point here is that in this league you can go through a rough patch and still be in the hunt.  Seattle just jettisoned Schmidt and they could suddenly get it going by stringing some together some wins, nick a place in the offseason, and then go from there.  Perhaps the same thing could happen with the Caps.

And a 0-2 loss to Colorado to wrap up the road trip from hell. Davies looked good but Parker at RB and Edgar at CB looked poor. 6 days to recover and win what has become a must win game next Friday.

Archived