Whitecaps 2016

TRM

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I am still reluctant to ditch Robbo, though I DO acknowledge that the lack of any apparent system on the field suggests that he might be in over his head here.  But I'd like to see what he might do next year. Maybe watch the team closely, give him several months to bring marked improvement to this team, then go from there.  (Or, just hire Bradley this time. Mind you, we might want Bradley for the MNT instead.)

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 4:25 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I stand by my opinion that Robbo should have been fired in August, that would have given us a turn in play or least a shake-up. These last 2 months have been pathetic, apart from the exception of ConcaChampions, which is something we got without intending to. 

I agree.  A metaphor for Robbo's situation would be of JFK, Jr trying to find the Martha's Vineyard airport in the fog and slowly but steadily spiraling the plane into the ocean.

They'll probably get to the make or break match but  lose it because of a blown ref's call yet they'll spin that into the sole reason why the team didn't make the playoffs.  Just watch.

The loss to Seattle was one of only 2 games I've seen while on holidays with the other being the Columbia-Paraguay futsal game. Not a good holiday.

Fact is nobody we have seems to be able to score much less do it consistently. You won't win any games without scoring.

As to Robbo if they are going to get rid of him use the time now to get someone and don't flounder like they did last time. I'd love to see Bradley but would rather he be our MNT coach.

Seattle & San Jose have 2 games in hand and will be next to impossible to catch barring an epic meltdown on their part and us winning all our remaining games.

Okay we didn't get the 3 points we needed but at least we played our asses off and got a draw while a man down. Coming back twice to tie the game up while Waston was red carded was nice to see. We also scored 3 goals, one from a corner and two from open play.

Davies, what can I say. He looks ready to replace any number of mids. 15 or 25 I don't care he is at least MLS quality already at this point in his development. The announcers noticed it as well but the players trying to cover him were a yard or more goalside just because he goes by them so easily when they try to get tight. I think he has the making of a true 10 both for club and country. Hutch 2.0  :)

3 hours ago, yothat said:

I think he ready to play game in and game out..  Would like to see kianz, mckendry, levis get a run of games. Robbo should get the chance to rebuild the roster this off-season

It would be harsh to take all those players from Whitecaps 2 when they're still trying to advance in the playoffs. I'd keep them there as long as they're still in the running. I think they all get a chance next season regardless.

The fact is undeniable, though the basic principle is deny it to death: Tornaghi is more reliable than Ousted this year. Even if you could argue he has not  been tested week after week.

I think Ousted is good, but he was impeccable last year. This year he has made important mistakes, maybe 5-6 costing goals. Since we are basically two wins off still being in a playoff fight, that is a lot.

I'd give the Italian a few starts to end the season, if we are definitively out of the playoffs he deserves it. That would also create a healthy competitive environment for keepers thinking about next season, since Ousted, as with the rest of team, should be encouraged to reflect. And Tornaghi deserves to be plain encouraged.

---------------

Very happy we qualified for Champions quarter-finals, a big accomplishment. Meaning we are four matches from playing a continental final. 

According to the Caps site we will be at least the third best team and will for sure play the final leg of quarters at home. What's left to decide rankings:  if Pachuca beat Olimpia away in Honduras, they will be ranked 1st. If Arabe Unido beats Don Bosco by more than three, they will be ranked second. If neither happens we are ranked 1st. If we are ranked top 2, would also play hypothetical semi final 2nd leg at home. If ranked 1st, we'd have a final final leg too at BC Place.

Could be a big quarter final match in early March. Won't know the rival until after final group stage matches Oct 19 and 20.

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Very happy we qualified for Champions quarter-finals, a big accomplishment. Meaning we are four matches from playing a continental final. 

According to the Caps site we will be at least the third best team and will for sure play the final leg of quarters at home. What's left to decide rankings:  if Pachuca beat Olimpia away in Honduras, they will be ranked 1st. If Arabe Unido beats Don Bosco by more than three, they will be ranked second. If neither happens we are ranked 1st. If we are ranked top 2, would also play hypothetical semi final 2nd leg at home. If ranked 1st, we'd have a final final leg too at BC Place.

Could be a big quarter final match in early March. Won't know the rival until after final group stage matches Oct 19 and 20.

I'm pretty excited with this run. I'm surprised CCL doesn't get more attention here.

To me, it seems like Canada clearly loves this competition.

Canadian cities have 3 of the top 5, and 5 of the top 10 highest attendance records for a match, and the knockout rounds have consistently drawn bigger crowds than nearly all other sporting events in the country.

Canadian clubs combined have the 2nd best points per game ratio, behind only Mexico.

Canadian players see a higher average of minutes played per game in CCL, than in any other club competition.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think Ousted is good, but he was impeccable last year. This year he has made important mistakes, maybe 5-6 costing goals.

He has also made 8-10 saves that got us points when we played like crap. Up until last week Ousted has faced more shots than any other keeper. Now he is tied for second. His 66% save rate is well below his 72% from last year. 

In 2015 he faced 137 shots. So far in 2016 he has faced 157. I'm not against more squad rotation at keeper but Tornaghi hasn't faced a lot of MLS level shooters. Fix the D and midfield and I think our problem goes away.  

4 minutes ago, TRM said:

PS. there is a thread for the 2016-17 CCL

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/29349-2016-17-ccl/

and one here for the Caps2 USL team

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/28955-vwfc2-2016-discussion/

Just in case you were wondering.

Oh geez we have a CCL thread? I had no idea. 

As for your comments about Tornaghi, well made. I realize Ousted saw a lot of shots last year, that we were perhaps lucky in defence, but as you know he made saves that gave us points. This year, whatever saves, have not given us those points. Last year he hardly made any mistakes, he was incredibly consistent. This year he has screwed up, has missed high balls, given up rebounds, not seen shots he could have that were near him. So fix the D, but also give the Dane some real competition and see if he rises to the ocassion.

32 minutes ago, TRM said:

We are eliminated from playoffs. Fall 2-1 at home to Seattle (double ugg). Davies and Edgar go the full 90 with Davies wreaking havoc and drawing the foul for our PK.

He certainly had Fisher's number tonight. Got the better of him numerous times.

On 02/10/2016 at 6:33 PM, shermanator said:

After scoring on a PK, Morales gets a straight red for a forearm to the face of a Sounders player. I think the red was harsh, especially when watching the replay, but just a moronic play either way by Morales.

That HAS to be the last time he is seen in a Whitecaps shirt. 

Won't you miss watching those incredible Morales passes to no one in particular?

• 2 weeks later...

Robo did get us to 3rd overall last year which is the highest any Canadian team has finished so far. We have gone from 45 GF & 36 GA to 41 GF & 51 GA. We relied on defending and opportunistic scoring last year. I think too many changes at once with Steve going to TFC and Gersh to NE left us exposed but what I really think did us in was Manneh's injury. Without him other teams didn't have to cover as much and could push players into attack. He was a good defender just by being on the field. Without him we were a counter attacking team without a counter attack.

8W-8L-4D before he was injured and 1W-7L-5D after.

I know firing coaches after a bad season is the norm but I hope they've got someone lined up already and will not flail like they did last time.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Too bad Morales wasn't called out by his teammates until the last week of the season.

If that was the case, and it looked like it at times, Robbo should have moved him out or benched him.

Ousted looked most of the year like a guy who wanted to be a leader but lost credit quickly with uncertain play. 

Archived