Whitecaps 2016

TRM

The possibilities of Robinson being fired have to be on the rise, he is doing terribly, the team looks totally lost. And Barnes, with all the media shills on his bandwagon before the game, saying he was part of the strongest side they could field.

Barnes is our strongest striker, he has less goals than Hurtado, I don't get it?

So of course Barnes looked pretty well as bad and in fact mostly worse than most of our other up front options this year (Rivero, Hurtado, Pérez, Kudo). 

Still, today, of all days, Edgar has his worst outing for us so far, and Parker was poor. De Jong was at his usual level, which is not that high in fact. Robinson is amazingly making his players worse, progressively in decline. 

Right now I'd put our WCII coach in charge, and go from there to the end of the season.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that our forwards have not scored much one reason I liked Rivero was that he did all the other things a forward in the 4-5-1 should do very well. The whole lone striker formation is to compensate for a weak defence. Yet even with 2 DMs we struggle defending.

No mid-season coach firings please. If they don't have anyone lined up then don't bother. And by lined up I mean signed already. We can wait until the end of the season.

I'm kind of wondering if a 3 CB set might work? Or would it just confuse an already uncommunicative defence?

Aird-Parker-Edgar-Waston-DeJong

--------------- Laba

Bolanos - Morales - Mezquida

------------ Barnes

With Aird / DeJong joining the attack.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The possibilities of Robinson being fired have to be on the rise, he is doing terribly, the team looks totally lost.

now I don't completely disagree with this statement. I think it might be early to start firing the coach. I feel that some of the strange MLS roster rules could be hurting Robbo 's ability to get the best out of some players and the ability to reward some others. Certain Dp's need to be better on the field (morales). Or left out completely. I like and think we are better with Laba on our team but he needs to be better at distribution as well as destruction. I think a change in who is our play making Dp should come before firing Robbo

At the end of a globe trotting road trip featuring tough playing conditions, I didn't think they'd get any points from this Colorado match.  However, the defensive issues go deeper than simply replacing a couple of players in the back line or changing formation.  The Whitecaps don't defend as team, period:  the midfielders in the group of three behind the lone striker tend to be  floaters with so/so-to-poor commitment to play without the ball; Laba has gotten himself caught out because too often he's been chasing the ball and looking for the big play challenge instead of reading the situation and being alert to midfield runs while his partner, Jacobson, flatters to deceive with his defensive contributions and support.  To me, the recent acquisitions seem to be like a straw clutch or throwing spaghetti at a wall to see what sticks.

The one thing I haven't touched on is the lack of on-field leadership.  How is Morales the captain of this team?  Is it because he's bilingual?  They need a holler guy out there to get some many of these guys' heads in the game and out of their a*sses.  Like I said, this stretch of road matches was going to be tough but in too many other games there seems to be either a country club atmosphere or "me" guys looking out for personal interests, even when the team has the lead, such as with the earlier home match vs the Rapids or the Vs Cup final second leg.

However, some MLS teams can look pretty awful at this time of the year and yet sneak into the playoffs and get hot at the right time.  Maybe that's what will happen here.

The point is, our president is fine with not winning, and we have coaches who are made to believe that not winning is fine.

Compared to the fan base, so strong and enthusiastic and knowledgable too, the ownership, president and coaching are poor.

I do not think our roster is that bad, but we get less rather than more out of it than we should. The curves of most players seem to shift downward rather than upward, meaning the more time they spend on the Caps, the worse they get. When they are not in fact worse than most other MLS teams, don't think. True, we have no real star, but our journeymen are competent, we have talent, experience, the optimism of youth, the right mix. But Robbo is completely lost, he is doing terribly this year, worse than ever. 

Can't let a guy doing that think it is okay, pat him on the back. Fire him, and shake the whole team up for the playoff run--or let it all come down to an MLS crapshoot and hope for a playoff spot against all reason. 

Just saying, if it were up to me they'd replace Lenarduzzi, who hasn't a clue and is a sticky hanger on in that position, and replace Robbo. An experienced president, a more practiced manager. A clear message that Caps are expected to win. 

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I guess my question is:  how much did this team overachieve last season relative to how much it is underachieving this year?

Yes, we overachieved last year. Ousted saved about 10-12 points for us. The back line was very strong and stable, Beitashour, Koffie both adding to the mix. Rivera nabbed single goals away from home to give us points, esp first third of the season. But it was not luck, the team was tough defensively, not too attractive in attack, but efficient and hard to beat. Even if you look at the playoffs, we deserved more in the away vs. Timbers, and we did not screw up in the VCup. Only in Champions were we sloppy.

I am fine with Robbo going with the formula last year, as it worked from day one, then petered out a bit later. But this year, it has not worked ever, we-ve been subpar since day one pretty well. So he is doing badly and has no solution to the problem. So I say sack him, now.

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I guess my question is:  how much did this team overachieve last season relative to how much it is underachieving this year?

That is a good question. From 3rd overall to current standing of 13th (based on PPG). So realistically we might be a 7th/8th place barely top half team. That's a fair assessment.

The big thing I've noticed is that last year we were a bunker and counter team. We lived and died with our counter attack and defence/keeper. This year we seem to be neither a possession or counter attacking team. We are in that dreadful no man's land and stepping on mines.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think they have underachieved much more this year than they overachieved last year.  That said, they can get hot at the right time and make things happen come playoff time, leaving you to ask,"Where'd that come from?"

Like Portland last year. Anything is possible in the playoffs. They keep talking about "firsts" as in first points in Texas, first win against so and so. I'd like to see a season with a strong run to finish carrying us into the playoffs as the next "first" that they do. We've not done that yet.

So we broke our record but not the one we wanted to. We now have the top 2 places in longest time without a goal. Both first and second place in a category you don't want any part of. We rely on long balls and crosses into the box way to much. We setup a pair of chances over the top with nice chips but that was it for creative play.

So seeing as playing with 2 holding mids doesn't work and we only have 9 games left lets do the 3-4-3 and go nuts. Our defending is bad on corners as players are left unmarked with most players ball watching so to hell with defence.

Parker - Edgar - Waston

Aird - Nico - Laba - Bolanos   (yep bench Morales, say he's injured or something)

Hurtado - Barnes - Kudo

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

How did Edgar and De Jong  do?

They were both fine, both played like they cared, somthing I can't say about a number of their foreign teammates. They weren't to blame on either goal. Davies and Aird both looked lively when they came on though some of what the former attempts is understandably naive. 

I have seen seen enough however to get rid of many of the overpaid foreigners and start giving more Canucks a chance. Get rid of Kudoh and sign Haber - he can't do any worse when it comes to missing chances. Bench Bolanos until he learns how to pass to open teammates. And for next year you guys need far more from Morales for a DP player , stop playing Parker at right back - I don't recall Aird being responsible for giving up this many goals (that is three in the last two games). The rest of the Uruguayans can be sent back home or to another team as well

I thought Edgar and de Jong had some shaky moments in the first half, but they were both solid in the second half. De Jong in particular was very solid defensively before being subbed out to get more offense on the pitch. Neither were at fault for the 2 goals. The goals were on Edgar and Parker respectively. 

Also, have the supporters given up on the season as well? Terrible atmosphere at BC Place last night on the broadcast, it felt like you could hear a pin drop in the second half. I can sympathize somewhat given the complete absence of effort from the club, but still disappointing.

38 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Also, have the supporters given up on the season as well? Terrible atmosphere at BC Place last night on the broadcast, it felt like you could hear a pin drop in the second half. I can sympathize somewhat given the complete absence of effort from the club, but still disappointing.

How about booing.  Loudly.  That's another way of showing you give a damn.

15 hours ago, shermanator said:

I thought Edgar and de Jong had some shaky moments in the first half, but they were both solid in the second half. De Jong in particular was very solid defensively before being subbed out to get more offense on the pitch. Neither were at fault for the 2 goals. The goals were on Edgar and Parker respectively. 

Watching Edgar getting skinned by Dawkins on that play leading to the cross for the header off the bar in the first half doesn't inspire me with any confidence that he's a candidate for the RB spot come September. 

There is absolutely no chemistry with this group of mids: Bolanos, Pedro, Techera, Mezquida, Laba. Too many times now we have seen a fullback tearing up the side wide open and one of those mids completely ignore the run, turn inside and promptly lose the ball. They never play a give-and-go when it presented to them. Very frustrating and selfish. Each of them have individual skill but their teamwork is non-existent. 

10 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

There is absolutely no chemistry with this group of mids: Bolanos, Pedro, Techera, Mezquida, Laba. Too many times now we have seen a fullback tearing up the side wide open and one of those mids completely ignore the run, turn inside and promptly lose the ball. They never play a give-and-go when it presented to them. Very frustrating and selfish. Each of them have individual skill but their teamwork is non-existent. 

Apart from Laba's particular job skills, there's also very little consistent defensive dedication, which has left the fullbacks exposed too often.

Yeah, no real chemistry going forward and not enough discipline coming back. We do not have a general in the midfield! Maybe we need Edgar to play defensive mid, with Parker and Waston at CD, Aird out right, DeJong on the left. Bolanos and Aird link up nicely. Nico is the only guy who consistently performs for us. He MUST play. And I'd give Barnes another go. But Pedro? Where is the Maestro?

Bogus call on the PK as Aird got the ball first not to mention Ousted stopped the first PK but was off the line due to a balk by the KC PK taker. Oh well looks like this season is done. Sucks to be us this year. We are a counter attacking team with no counter attack. Without Manneh we have nobody to scare the other teams and push them back. Without Gersh we are leaking goals like a sieve.

I don't see us making the playoffs now. The "must win" against San Jose last week and the game tonight. We have nothing. Another late season fold seems imminent and we have no point buffer this time. At least we'll get a high draft pick :(

Sorry for my uncharacteristic pessimism but we have nothing up the middle, just constant crosses to nobody in particular as our offensive strategy. We have no counter attack and we can't defend.

Archived