Canadians in MLS 2016 Season

Gian-Luca

1 minute ago, farrelld said:

50/50 Bush and Tissot you can't just turtle there you either clear it out or clear the space for the keeper. Also Tissot looks like he's about to jump and then just stops and turtles.

That why Bush was punching everything he was unsure about after the first goal

It looked pretty bad, beer league bad imo.  Apart from the Philly match and the Orlando game where Tissot was a sub, I haven't seen him play this season but in those efforts I wouldn't rate him as an assertive and aware defender.  However, those who watch him all the time can change my opinion.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It looked pretty bad, beer league bad imo.  Apart from the Philly match and the Orlando game where Tissot was a sub, I haven't seen him play this season but in those efforts I wouldn't rate him as an assertive and aware defender.  However, those who watch him all the time can change my opinion.

He's been much improved from previous years but defensively he is still a liability at times and his crossing is very inconsistent. He likes to get forward which is a good thing and has the legs to be able to get back. 1 on 1  defending still needs a lot of work. Definitely should still be behind Oyongo and Toia at LB on the depth chart but Montreal doesn't have a lot of options at LB/RB at the moment.

8 minutes ago, farrelld said:

He's been much improved from previous years but defensively he is still a liability at times and his crossing is very inconsistent. He likes to get forward which is a good thing and has the legs to be able to get back. 1 on 1  defending still needs a lot of work. Definitely should still be behind Oyongo and Toia at LB on the depth chart but Montreal doesn't have a lot of options at LB/RB at the moment.

Thanks for the info

3 hours ago, farrelld said:

50/50 Bush and Tissot you can't just turtle there you either clear it out or clear the space for the keeper. Also Tissot looks like he's about to jump and then just stops and turtles.

That why Bush was punching everything he was unsure about after the first goal

He's about to jump and then he gets a late call from Bush. He's expecting his keeper to come for the ball and destroy everything on his way, so Tissot protects himself. Then Bush hesitates because he is suddenly an U12 goalkeeper and doesn't make a convincing move toward the ball.

IMHO the keeper call came way to late for Tissot to clear the space or just move out of the way.

39 minutes ago, farrelld said:

I agree with this. His one on one defending is really weak. 

He is better going forward.

Actually, when I think about all the LB we have in our MNT players pool, I cannot think about one who's very good at defending...

• 3 weeks later...

Osorio played 90 for TFC, Hamilton started and was subbed out after 68 minutes in favour of Babouli while Johnson also came on as a sub at the 66 minute mark in a 1-0 win over LA. I'm guessing Vanney just wanted to rest Johnson for the Vancouver game on Tuesday - Giovinco also looked like under strict instructions to not do any running when LA had the ball, presumably also for him to be able to start on Tuesday.

An encouraging night for Canadian soccer as both 21 year old Larin and 20 year old Hamilton score in a 3-2 incredibly-controversial win for Orlando. Osorio went 90 and notched two assists while Hamilton also drew a PK - which unfortunately wasn't given. Johnson played the first 45 while Babouli played the last 14 minutes and his recovery of the ball led to what should have been the game tying goal. Unfortunately the same incompetent ref that cost TFC the match against Colorado struck again by awarding Orlando a gift PK on the 99th minute of the 2nd half, causing TFC to lose their shit and the game. TFC also lost Irwin to injury midway through the 2nd half and the way Bono gifted Orlando their 2nd goal, you have to think that Roberts will get his chance soon as I am betting Irwin will be out for a couple of weeks 

Russ comes in as a sub to close out the last 25+ minutes in our 3-2 win over Philly. No where near the TFC vs Orlando matchup. Pity you got screwed by the ref (again? still?) but nice to see Hamilton put one in and Osoria with 2 assists is sweet.

On 26/6/2016 at 4:21 AM, Gian-Luca said:

An encouraging night for Canadian soccer as both 21 year old Larin and 20 year old Hamilton score in a 3-2 incredibly-controversial win for Orlando. Osorio went 90 and notched two assists while Hamilton also drew a PK - which unfortunately wasn't given. Johnson played the first 45 while Babouli played the last 14 minutes and his recovery of the ball led to what should have been the game tying goal. Unfortunately the same incompetent ref that cost TFC the match against Colorado struck again by awarding Orlando a gift PK on the 99th minute of the 2nd half, causing TFC to lose their shit and the game. TFC also lost Irwin to injury midway through the 2nd half and the way Bono gifted Orlando their 2nd goal, you have to think that Roberts will get his chance soon as I am betting Irwin will be out for a couple of weeks 

TFC got screwed on that call, that ref had a face waving off players after like "I'm getting paid to do exactly that and I don't care".

Sometimes you need someone in the front office to complain and take the fine. The whole ownership structure in MLS gives us these terribly passive butt-lickin owners and CEOs who never stand up for their teams--unless it's directly against their own players or coaches, perversely. 

Lefevre plays 90 for Montreal in a 3-2 win over New England while Bernier started and played 61 while Bekker came on for the final 18 minutes. JGL & AJH left on the bench for Montreal.

TFC blow a boat-load of chances and settle for a 1-1 draw at home to Seattle. Hamilton went 90 and scored the TFC goal on a Giovinco-shot rebound and really played well overall. Chapman started & had probably his best game in a TFC uniform, missing a glorious scoring opportunity although I give him marks for making an intelligent run to get the chance to begin with. He was subbed out for (a post-Voyageurs Cup rested) Osorio for the last 20 minutes, while Raheem Edwards made his MLS debut coming on with about 4 minutes to go and even getting a shot on goal, although it didn't trouble the keeper. Babouli & Roberts stayed on the bench. Morgan and Johnson are of course injured.

You can almost see the storm clouds of controversy brewing up in the horizon - I think Hamilton has 4 goals in 4 starts this season in all competitions, but you just know that he'll get benched for Jozy "Zero Goals in All Competitions" Altidore once he is healthy.

The young players holding their own, particularly Hamilton, has been a very pleasant surprise. The nice thing about Hamilton, Altidore and Giovionco is that they all have different attributes and should form a very effective attacking rotation. It's a bit harder to see where Babouli, Chapman and Endoh fit when everyone is healthy.

Jay Chapman missed a wide open header in the first half. He continues to spurn the opportunities he is given by starting due to injuries. He really needs to step up.

Jordan Hamilton on the other hand, is making the most of his opportunities.

3 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Jay Chapman missed a wide open header in the first half. He continues to spurn the opportunities he is given by starting due to injuries. He really needs to step up.

Do you think he really spurned his opportunity? I thought that was by far his best match with TFC. I was very impressed and would think he has bought himself another start with that performance. 

Double agree.  With Bradley and Johnson both out, it looked to me as though Vanney thought Delgado would step in to be the engine, but really it was Chapman who was the real quarterback/workhorse, and I thought he did it really well.  Everything seemed to pass through him, and he was breaking up plays and jumping into attack as well.  TFC didn't seem as well linked front to back when he came off.  

10 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The young players holding their own, particularly Hamilton, has been a very pleasant surprise. The nice thing about Hamilton, Altidore and Giovionco is that they all have different attributes and should form a very effective attacking rotation. It's a bit harder to see where Babouli, Chapman and Endoh fit when everyone is healthy.

For a team that has Altidore on it, "when everyone is healthy" is a rare state of being.

Caldwell (doing the colour commentary) said he thought Chapman was the best player on the pitch in the first half. Not sure I would go that far but definitely don't think he spurned his opportunity to show what he can do when he starts. Incidentally, Chapman was instrumental in the build-up to the TFC goal, which I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Over the course of his appearances, I have been impressed with some of Hamilton's play on the ball with his back to a defender in attacking areas:  he's shown some quick turns that create chances.  Other areas of his game are still a work in progress.  That first half was Chapman's best in a TFC shirt but he struggled with possession early in the second half so Vanney decided to call it a night for him (unless he picked up a knock and that was the reason for it).

It's pretty crazy Chapman isnt in the national team picture... I'm not saying he should be, but it wasn't that long ago we'd be calling in players who had less experience than him. It's insane that we can afford to leave Russ and Oso off the team. Our new found depth is still strange to me.

It's not crazy at all. Chapman hasn't done anything of note at TFC and at times looked lost. Last night was the first time he contributed positively at the TFC 1 level. To be considered for the national team, he has do this consistently and not miss open headers that often.

Plus, his role on the national team would be similar to Johnson, Piette, De Guzman & Tiebert. 

7 hours ago, red card said:

It's not crazy at all. Chapman hasn't done anything of note at TFC and at times looked lost. Last night was the first time he contributed positively at the TFC 1 level. To be considered for the national team, he has do this consistently and not miss open headers that often.

Plus, his role on the national team would be similar to Johnson, Piette, De Guzman & Tiebert. 

You'll notice in my post I said that I wasn't saying he should be considered for the team... I'm referring to our past call ups of guys who were MLS reserves or Academy guys just starting out. I'm pointing out the fact that just getting minutes in MLS is no longer something "of note" when it comes to our national team. Kyle Bekker is perhaps a better example of this, I just used Chapman because we were discussing his performance at the time. But 2 years ago Bekker was getting called up seemingly just because he was ocasionally in an MLS 18 and Floro liked him... Now, floro probably still likes him, but we have better options and even though he's a starter now he needs to be impressive in those minutes to deserve a call up. If Chapman is playing this often a few years ago, regardless of his performance, he's getting called up... It's good that it is not the case anymore, but It is crazy how quickly our depth has grown, gives me a reason to be more optimistic about the future.

Archived