2016 Red Team Playoff Clinching Watch (aka Toronto FC 2016 MLS season thread)

shermanator

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TFC on 11 pts from 7 road games. Awesome.

Yes UT, the additions of Moor, Beitashour and Irwin have solidified the team.

Delgado seemed like the only weak player out there, i would shift Johnson to the right and Cheyrou on the left as top pick XI.

Perhaps the most impressive part - no losses on the road against any Eastern teams in 5 games. The only two losses both came against Western teams, and they were controversial losses at that.

Although we'll see if they can play this disciplined and patient defensively at home with the crowd roaring behind them. Mind you, if they lose Giovinco for a month to the Euro's (and Altidore & Bradley) they may have no choice but to play that way. That's the one potential drawback from having Giovinco score all of your goals for you.

And I too was disappointed that Bekker got benched after all the rave reviews he was getting.

Getting a decent GK was as significant (if not more) as shoring up the backline as far as improvements from last year to this year.   What they saw in Bendik to make him a starting keeper in MLS is IMO one of the big mysteries of this clubs ten years of existence.   He didnt have a track record to begin with.  So what did they see in his game to think he had such promise?  He was an inconsistent shot stopper and he alone probably cost them 6-8 points a season.  Right away you saw a drop in team performance when Julio Cesar left and right now we are seeing an improvement with Irwin coming in.  

PS.:. I mentioned Bendik's inadequacies as a shot stopper.  But i am also seeing improved play on crosses, corners and other aerial ball with Irwin back there. 

Each of TFC's newcomers has been a key contributor in the defensive set up.  Beitashour has been steady eddie at RB, Johnson has been vintage from his best Portland days, with Moor and Irwin very consistent.  So far, outstanding acquisitions.

I thought Bradley was quite strong at the base of the diamond yesterday snuffing out the Piatti threat before the Impact service provider could get a head of steam run at the d, not unlike Donadel's work against Giovinco in last year's playoff game, but Johnson and Delgado also did really well defensively against Shipp and Oduro in support of the TFC fullbacks.  However, as mentioned by G-L, it's a different proposition when at home and the other team is doing the Floro and looking to catch you out on the counterpunch.

Only one team in MLS has given up less than a goal a game, fifth of the way through the season. If that is the philosophy, with the firepower up front, TFC is going to win the Supporter's Shield.

Just that you are going to have to accept that the team is not going to always be pretty. Which is what fans of a lot of serious footballing nations understand perfectly. There is a Champions League semifinalist from Spain who have given up less than half a goal a game in the league, same stat in their 10 CL matches. And I think the fans do in fact enjoy it at the Calderón.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only one team in MLS has given up less than a goal a game, fifth of the way through the season. If that is the philosophy, with the firepower up front, TFC is going to win the Supporter's Shield.

Just that you are going to have to accept that the team is not going to always be pretty. Which is what fans of a lot of serious footballing nations understand perfectly. There is a Champions League semifinalist from Spain who have given up less than half a goal a game in the league, same stat in their 10 CL matches. And I think the fans do in fact enjoy it at the Calderón.

And on the road to boot. Build from the back out seems to have finally taken root at TFC. It is a winning formula in the sport.

I think half the fans enjoy watching Diego Simeone and gambling on whether he will kill someone this week or not. I've loved to watch him since I first saw him when he was coaching River Plate in Argentina. I would hate to be the player who pissed him off. I'd be afraid to go in the parking lot afterwards. Star striker and star keeper gone and yet he finds ways to keep the team winning. I'd love to see them take the CL this year.

11 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I like watching this version of TFC compared to the messy gong show of last year. Very organized and very tactically competent.

Football is a funny game isn't it?  TFC is basically playing Canada's conservative style but getting 3 points and everyone is loving it.  Of course it's easy when you know that Giovinco is going to find a way past eventually, you know you just need to keep a clean sheet.  

If TFC lose Giovinco to Euros we're in trouble.  Eventually the support players need to chip in or we're going to look like Canada and the fans will turn very quickly.  

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:54 PM, jpg75 said:

Delgado seemed like the only weak player out there, i would shift Johnson to the right and Cheyrou on the left as top pick XI.

I agree about Delgado but wouldn't change Johnson's role one bit at this point, he has allowed Bradley to stay in a more defined role without feeling like he has to do it all, I'm not sure who the answer is on the right side at this point though!

On April 24, 2016 at 7:54 PM, jpg75 said:

I have doubts about Cheyrou's longer term availability.  He's still out of action for a few more weeks and, sometimes, those kinds of injuries start to snowball on players when they hit their mid-30s.  Also, when healthy, does he really have the legs to put in the defensive duties required in the current midfield set up on the left side?  Arguable.  

I'm not down on Delgado:  he's improving and still only 20 years old (for a couple of more weeks, at least):  I see people on here having preached patience with other younger players and I don't see this guy as being any different. 

32 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I have doubts about Cheyrou's longer term availability.  He's still out of action for a few more weeks and, sometimes, those kinds of injuries start to snowball on players when they hit their mid-30s.  Also, when healthy, does he really have the legs to put in the defensive duties required in the current midfield set up on the left side?  Arguable. 

I'm not down on Delgado:  he's improving and still only 20 years old (for a couple of more weeks, at least):  I see people on here having preached patience with other younger players and I don't see this guy as being any different.

This.

I think Cheyrou is gone after this season. He just don't have the legs to cover the ground.

Delgado is young and still raw. But that youngster has shown a lot of skill and potential. It'd have been nice to see Jay Chapman in Delgado's spot, but to be honest, Chapman hasn't shown well during his mins playing for first team.

8 minutes ago, Yohan said:

This.

I think Cheyrou is gone after this season. He just don't have the legs to cover the ground.

Delgado is young and still raw. But that youngster has shown a lot of skill and potential. It'd have been nice to see Jay Chapman in Delgado's spot, but to be honest, Chapman hasn't shown well during his mins playing for first team.

I thought Chapman did okay in NE during that sub stint.  Frankly, I'd rather have these two young guys competing for that spot than Findley seemingly getting gifted it for little return last year.

On April 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM, jpg75 said:

For next game I'd like to see if switching Babouli in for Delgado would workout.

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought Chapman did okay in NE during that sub stint.  Frankly, I'd rather have these two young guys competing for that spot than Findley seemingly getting gifted it for little return last year.

To be honest I can't remember what he did against NE, but I thought Chapman did well against DC for the 25 or so minutes he played - won the ball a few times from DC players and retained possession when they were defending a lead. Not sure that he's shown enough to start over Delgado as yet however - Delgado's instincts on where to be on the field seem to be stronger at this point (though that may be due to more experience from first-team minutes)

9 hours ago, Alex1775 said:

For next game I'd like to see if switching Babouli in for Delgado would workout.

I doubt this will happen. Babouli is an attacking player and had defensive responsibility problems in USL. He would be a liability taking anyone but Giovinco or Altidore's spot.

18 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Chapman didn't look a superior level to FC Cincinnati on Sunday. He had some good moments of play but was not a stand out. I still think Delgado is TFC's best option on the right side even with his somewhat poor performances lately.

1 hour ago, Oranje said:

I'm surprised that Osorio playing the AM role hasn't been talked about more, it was his best performance all season.

Well, minus the finishing.

But Osorio did have a good game, esp short passing. He's not asked to be the conventional playmaker and play a simple game, which suits his skills

28 minutes ago, Yohan said:

But Osorio did have a good game, esp short passing. He's not asked to be the conventional playmaker and play a simple game, which suits his skills

When he came into the league his finishing was much better. It seems he has changed his game to fit into the positions that the coaches have been pushing on him.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

To be honest I can't remember what he did against NE, but I thought Chapman did well against DC for the 25 or so minutes he played - won the ball a few times from DC players and retained possession when they were defending a lead. Not sure that he's shown enough to start over Delgado as yet however - Delgado's instincts on where to be on the field seem to be stronger at this point (though that may be due to more experience from first-team minutes)

I guess I was thinking the DC game. 

On 26 april 2016 at 5:49 PM, Yohan said:

This. By keeping it simple he has become a useful player. A player at his position should at least bag a goal or 7 a season. 

Unfortunately for Osorio (and TFC) he apparently rolled his ankle during training this week and is not expected to dress against Portland. As such, with Cheyrou also still out, both Chapman and Manella have been recalled to the first team. I'm guessing we will probably see Johnson moved back into the middle of the park and the elimination of the diamond midfield formation (unless they decide to play Chapman there as a starter, but I doubt they will go with that to start).

Things are looking good this year.  Today's loss to Portland could easily have been a draw or even a win.   Cant recall four highlight saves in one game by a keeper like we saw with Gleeson today.   That was the difference.  Yes, Portland missed a gimme on counter attack.  But the balance of the chances were in TFC's favour.   

The international commitments could make things interesting.    But i dont think that this squad is just about Giovinco.   Yes, they have an game plan that  maximizes his skills and talent In the attcking third but I am still seeing good play by others. And they seem to be in control of the midfield in most games.   Bradey looks to be at his best when he isnt forced to come forward too much and i am seeing that this year.  

The new additions are big, but they kept a core group of players in tact and they came back this year with the same coach.   Stability, thats what it all about. Until this year, they never had that.  

Archived