La'vere Corbin-Ong

shamrock

If he signed with the Champions of the league perhaps the move is not so bad. 

He may get into Asian Champions League games with that club and may earn a move to a bigger Asian league. If he can parlay this into a move to the J-league, K-league or Chinese Super league, it will be worth it (tho I don't see a future Chinese move with their cut back on foreigners).

I would prefer him to stay in Holland as I think he would/could make it to the Errdivisie. Just trying to see the positives here with this move, as it will happen whether we like it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Go Ahead just fired their trainer Vlemmings and it seems that the players were taken by surprise: https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieuws/325330/ontslag-vlemmings-verrast-spelers-van-go-ahead-eagles/

[Google translate]
Go Ahead Eagles, which relegated from the Eredivisie, has so far had a very disappointing season in the Jupiler League. Kowet is in 14th place after sixteen matches. "It's not right that Leon is only to blame, at the moment you could fire the whole team, it's that bad, I feel guilty about the trainer, I just sent him a message and thank you for the pleasant and instructive cooperation. " 

This suggests there is dysfunction at all levels, particularly in the management. If players were not happy, but not necessarily unhappy with the manager, this could have influenced Corbin-Ong's willingness to jump at a new opportunity elsewhere.  

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Too bad. I thought he showed potential against Scotland.

That being said, he is playing there and they could probably use him more than us and he'll probably get more caps with Malaysia in the long run.

Good luck to him!

I thought he looked good as well. For someone who started consistently in  B3 and then in the Dutch 2nd div.  you would think  he could do much better than be playing in the Malaysian league. Perhaps he received a lucrative contract?

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Even Malaysia plays two games during this window. The CSA really needs to get their shit together and figure out how to get the men’s team two games a window. Bring on the League of Nations and let’s play 2 even if we are only scheduled for one!  

I am starting to wonder if the 1 friendly windows might be a bit about FIFA ranking manipulation. Our ranking has inched up the last few months I believe (don’t have the numbers in front of me right now). The World Cup Qualifying draw usually takes the rankings from right after the previous World Cup, so if playing fewer games would help our ranking now, that *might be able to help us a bit. Hard to say though since we don’t know how Qualifying will work, but the CSA probably know.

I don't begrudge him this. He was called up once and played as a sub. Thought he looked ok. But clearly not in the picture for Canada any time soon. He would be behind De Jong, Adekugbe, Morgan, Awuah, possibly some of the USL players like Tissot, and there are some decent fullbacks coming up thru the system like Boakye and Ruby.

This is very curious - Malaysia does not allow dual citizens. They are strict with this. If he has a Malaysian passport now, he doesn't have a British or Canadian. I suspect this is a Tam N situation - not a citizen but playing in friendlies, despite the article calling him naturalised. If he is naturalised, he isn't Canadian anymore. Full stop.

I also don't see how he can play for Malaysia regardless - he played for Canada prior to "naturalising" with Malaysia. So he should be ineligible to represent them, and only eligible for England since he had the citizenship prior to his match with Canada.

F--king FIFA and their unequal and inconsistent application of the rules.

* For what it's worth, looking at the Malaysian law he would become a citizen by "registration" and not "naturalisation".

Edited by BCM

Another thing for guys like him and Emery Welshman before him is that if/when CPL gets going I think there is a decent chance their domestic rules will be based on CMNT eligibility, like it is in the Voyageurs Cup. So if you cap tie yourself to a different nation, CPL will consider you an international, which would make it harder to come “home” to play.

2 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

This is very curious - Malaysia does not allow dual citizens. They are strict with this. If he has a Malaysian passport now, he doesn't have a British or Canadian. I suspect this is a Tam N situation - not a citizen but playing in friendlies, despite the article calling him naturalised. If he is naturalised, he isn't Canadian anymore. Full stop.

I also don't see how he can play for Malaysia regardless - he played for Canada prior to "naturalising" with Malaysia. So he should be ineligible to represent them, and only eligible for England since he had the citizenship prior to his match with Canada.

F--king FIFA and their unequal and inconsistent application of the rules.

* For what it's worth, looking at the Malaysian law he would become a citizen by "registration" and not "naturalisation".

His mother is Malaysian so he’s eligible, he wasn’t naturalized.  If his mother wasn’t Malaysian he would have been ineligible for anyone but England after he was capped by us, you’re right. 

I don't get this move.  I feel like I need to know more about his motivation.  Six-months ago he is getting good minutes for one of the larger teams in Ereste divisie.  Then he signs with a Malaysian team and transfers out of the Netherlands.  On top of that a year ago he gets his first cap for Canada, and now he is suiting up for Malaysia.  All  seems like a rather swift trajectory shift.  It would make more sense to me if he gave up on soccer, pursued something totally different.  Instead he sticks with soccer, but just as he is pushing up the soccer hierarchy both in Europe and for his national team, he does a 90 degree turn.  

7 hours ago, Kent said:

Another thing for guys like him and Emery Welshman before him is that if/when CPL gets going I think there is a decent chance their domestic rules will be based on CMNT eligibility, like it is in the Voyageurs Cup. So if you cap tie yourself to a different nation, CPL will consider you an international, which would make it harder to come “home” to play.

It would be increbidly stupid if they did that, and I doubt they will since the two competitions have different administrations. Also, since the VC is a cup competition, even having childish rules like that is sort of okay because the player requirement is extremely small, but doing that in a league causes serious problems.

For one, it means that if a Candian player in the CPL is capped by another nation mid-season, suddenly that player's club has an extra foreign player and are violating the league's roster rules. The other big reason is that it doesn't actually do anything other than limit the league's domestic player pool and pointlessly blackmail dozens of players who don't have a chance of playing for Canada anyway. The Ballou Tablas, Ricardo Ferreiras and Asmir Begovics of the world don't care about this rule. The players who are affected by this are guys like Kevin Chan-Yu-Tin, Emery Welshman and Adrian Butters.

19 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

I don't begrudge him this. He was called up once and played as a sub. Thought he looked ok. But clearly not in the picture for Canada any time soon. He would be behind De Jong, Adekugbe, Morgan, Awuah, possibly some of the USL players like Tissot, and there are some decent fullbacks coming up thru the system like Boakye and Ruby.

Agree that I'm not upset but I had him ahead of a lot of the players you mentioned. Like a lot of guys on here I'm just very confused. 

13 hours ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I don't get this move.  I feel like I need to know more about his motivation.  Six-months ago he is getting good minutes for one of the larger teams in Ereste divisie.  Then he signs with a Malaysian team and transfers out of the Netherlands.  On top of that a year ago he gets his first cap for Canada, and now he is suiting up for Malaysia.  All  seems like a rather swift trajectory shift.  It would make more sense to me if he gave up on soccer, pursued something totally different.  Instead he sticks with soccer, but just as he is pushing up the soccer hierarchy both in Europe and for his national team, he does a 90 degree turn.  

Perhaps his decision to move to Malaysia wasn't soccer related and seeing where this would put him he's decided to pursue a NT career with his new country.

I suspect him playing with the Malaysian national team might have been part of getting a financially rewarding deal with his Malaysian club. Let's not forget that until a year and a half ago he was a career German 4th division player. In his breakout season of 2016/17 he became a starter on the worst team in the German 3rd division which was a pretty small club and likely paying a low salary despite a few surprising years in the 2nd Bundesliga (and now are in 4th division which is an appropriate level for a club of their size). While Go Ahead Eagles have some name recognition, they are currently a lower table 2nd tier team and probably not paying a very high salary. He is soon to be 27 and probably has not made a lot of money in his career so far. Also it is to be noted that after the relegation of FSV he did not sign with a better more financially wealthy 3rd division team. Even with our current weakness at the back he was unlikely to become more than a depth player at the national team level with some up and coming players likely to push him even out of that role in the near future. I suspect that if he realistically looked at his career and prospects while getting offered a financially rewarding deal in Malaysia with expectations of playing on their national team it would be a very attractive offer for him to make some money in his career instead of being a moderately paid lower division player in Europe and a fringe Canadian national team player.

• 1 year later...