La'vere Corbin-Ong

shamrock

5 hours ago, nolando said:

It seems to me he's on the cusp of being a Ledgerwood in terms of his possible serviceability to Canada. Of course, Nik peaked career-wise earlier and then settled into a very respectable level a tier below that peak and this guy seems to be consistently improving, so there is something to be said for that, for sure. I mean, he was playing for Cap University not all that long ago.

How has Canada done during the Nik Ledgerwood era? 

• 4 months later...

Congrats on the call up. Not sure on his form but he has got lots of gametime this year. Hopefully the gametime and international call might lead to a move so he doesn't have to play a league lower when his team gets relegated. 

Frankfurts Goals conceded alone would actually put them around mid table. 6 points adrift at the bottom with woeful form though. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, jordan said:

The club is bankrupt but not folding. Whether he needs to find a new club will depend whether his contract which still has another year on it is valid for the 4th division or whether it has a clause that he is released on demotion. Given that he signed from a 4th division club and is probably not one of the higher paid players on the team he may not have a relegation clause. Judging at least from his Kicker ratings and him playing 90 minutes almost every game it looks like he has shown that he is a 3rd BL quality player so hopefully will have some interest from other clubs even if he is still under contract for the 4th division. Frankfurt is not being demoted because of the bankruptcy but will lose 9 points and given they are already 5 points from safety it will be pretty hard for them not get demoted after the deduction. Aalen might have a chance to get their 9 point deduction removed or reduced because their bankruptcy was caused by a sponsor's bankruptcy that could not be foreseen not poor financial planning but I haven't seen any such mitigating factors in FSV's case. They are one of a number teams in Germany that always seems to have more money than fans and play at a higher level than they should or than other better supported teams play at so them going bankrupt is not that surprising. 2 of the 3 Canadians in 3rd BL have had their teams go bankrupt so hopefully this is not the curse of the Canadians! Strangely enough both have had very successful seasons personally this year unlike the 3rd one on the non-bankrupt club, Hainault, who has been injured all season and whose team is a strong promotion candidate.

Yes if you want to be picky he played in 2 matches early in the season, was subbed out of the second one with an injury which was misdiagnosed and then showed up for the national team for the qualification games against El Salvador and Honduras but did not play possibly because of the pain. Then he returned to Magdeburg and the injury did not heal and he was still in pain until finally they did further diagnosis and found out he had a tendon injury that needed a season ending operation in January.

I hope there's a club at least at par with FSV whose interested in him. (And willing to pay). Would really be a shame for him to go down a level again. Hainault (don't know if he's still under contract next season) has more luck in the sense that Magdeburg wil probably go up a level next year. 

50 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I hope there's a club at least at par with FSV whose interested in him. (And willing to pay). Would really be a shame for him to go down a level again. Hainault (don't know if he's still under contract next season) has more luck in the sense that Magdeburg wil probably go up a level next year. 

He has one more year on his contract. It is probably 50/50 whether Magdeburg promotes next year, the are one of 4 team vying for 2 automatic promotion spots and one promotion playoff spot. It is also hard to say if the promotion will be good or bad for Hainault coming off injury and facing likely higher level competition for his spot.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, eagle75 said:

Fan forum and twitter.

Because he lokes a bit like our former back player kenny theijsse (now san Francisco) fans are exticed.

How would you rate the Dutch 2nd league compared to other European 2nd leagues?

4 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

How would you rate the Dutch 2nd league compared to other European 2nd leagues?

Go Ahead is relegated from the dutch eredivisie last season. Although the budget is less than other leagues i think you can compare it with third level leagues in england en germany.

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I don't know, this seems almost like a backwards move. I guess there's a chance for promotion with this club, but they'll probably just relegate again even if they do.

His current club got relegated to 4th tier, so at this point the move seems more beneficial in terms of progressing his career imo

7 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

His current club got relegated to 4th tier, so at this point the move seems more beneficial in terms of progressing his career imo

Yeah, but i wasn't expecting him to stay with them. I figured a move to a stronger 3. Liga club or a move to League One would be in the works.

24 minutes ago, eagle75 said:

Go Ahead is relegated from the dutch eredivisie last season. Although the budget is less than other leagues i think you can compare it with third level leagues in england en germany.

8 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Thanks bro ??

I don't know much about the German third division, but the Eerste Divisie is worse than League One in England by some distance. The drop off between the Eredivisie and the Eerste Divisie is one of the biggest drops in all of Europe. The bottom half of the league are youth teams and semi-professional players on weekly contracts. Teams that get relegated from the Evedivisie typically sell all older players and play their u23 team, as that is usually enough to get promoted. Due to the number of youth teams in the 2nd division, you can win promotion back to the Eredivise from the bottom half of the table. The first division holds 18 teams and the second division holds 20 teams, but there are only around 25 stable fully professional teams in the Netherlands at any one time.

Edited by harrycoyster

10 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The bottom half of the league are youth teams and semi-professional players on weekly contracts. Teams that get relegated from the Evedivisie typically sell all older players and play their u23 team, as that is usually enough to get promoted. Due to the number of youth teams in the 2nd division, you can win promotion back to the Eredivise from the bottom half of the table. The first division holds 18 teams and the second division holds 20 teams, but there are only around 25 stable fully professional teams in the Netherlands at any one time.

Yes the drop-off is huge, but weekly contracts? That's just not true. But what do you mean with winning promotion from the bottom of the table? There's a number of periods during the season, winning any of them qualifies you for promotion playoffs. So in theory you could finish in the bottom of the table but still have a chance to promotion. 

Also your last statement is just not true. Now it depends on what you call professional, but any team in the Eerste Divisie needs to have a certain number of fully professional players. Additionally, there's a few players which can be amateurs. But to say that only 5 of the Eerste Divisie are professional, that's really a far stretch.

What is true is that the Eerste Divisie is mostly a U23 league. But if you look at the promotion teams, they tend to be the ones that have more experienced players. Look at the  age of the MVV-squad which barely missed out on promotion. 

What is also true is that pay isn't much in the Eerste Divisie. Players who play in in are ambitious and want to move on to the Eredivisie. If you want money, it's better to work a normal job and play in a lower division on the side. It's normal to get paid in the highest amateur leagues (mostly off the record). 

What is good about the Eerste Divisie (especially compared to League One) is that most teams tend to play attacking, attractive football (mostly 4-3-3). You rarely see parking the bus, which is good for player-development. 

But all this aside, Go Ahead is a great club, they have been in the Eredivisie before and want back. They have the only old-school stadium in the middle of the city.  If anything he can show his abilities in a new country and maybe get picked-up afterwards. But it's really nog a bad place for him to go and play.