1 hour ago, Rintaran said:

I like both of these. The one on the left I enjoy because it's a complete logo, without being forced into a shield. It's also a more unique blade than we tend to see in most images, and the hatchet is a perfect contrast. Only thing I wonder is how the thin-line on the blade would come look stitched or heat-pressed. Almost feels like it would get lost in the fabric.

The one on the right is also very nice. I think it's a nice blend of images, though I do question that flag on the top. Is there a significance to that?

Someone else joked that it didn't feel bad drug deal enough, but I think they're just ignoring how you dump the chopped up bodies in the river. You've the hatchet for chopping, rivers for dumping. What more could you want?

hahahahaha damnit, I should have thought of that.

Just thought the flag made it look more complete visually, no real significance.  Also, I could thicken up the outline of the blade which should fix that problem you mentioned

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ted said:

Love the Mississauga designs with the "buildings".

Need to add a motto though. I suggest: "Ribbed for her pleasure". ;)

lol ffs ted you got me there hahahaha 

for real though some of the guys from the sg want to use "pride in our past; faith in our future"

I think that's pretty bad ass.  but yea I don't like the buildings in that one either.  Still a work in progress for sure.

ottawa idea.

Here's the symbolism.  In times of global turbulence, it has often been Canada that has stepped up and lit the way so to speak.  Examples include black and women's rights(if I'm not mistaken) as well as gay rights as well as the cuban missle crisis(Lester B Pearson) and stepping up during world wars when needed.

Ottawa being the capital, it's appropriate that it represent the carrying the torch for the next generation of Canadians

Parliament Hill FC.png

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

ottawa idea.

Here's the symbolism.  In times of global turbulence, it has often been Canada that has stepped up and lit the way so to speak.  Examples include black and women's rights(if I'm not mistaken) as well as gay rights as well as the cuban missle crisis(Lester B Pearson) and stepping up during world wars when needed.

Ottawa being the capital, it's appropriate that it represent the carrying the torch for the next generation of Canadians

Parliament Hill FC.png

We already had one parliament fire, let's not have another one.  Can you separate the enormous fireball from the Peace Tower?

13 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

We already had one parliament fire, let's not have another one.  Can you separate the enormous fireball from the Peace Tower?

haha yea someone pointed that out to me on twitter pretty quick as well.  I'll probably go a slightly different direction than this, but, to play devils advocate, if it was actually on fire it wouldn't look anything like that.  It's meant to be symbolic.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:42 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Definitely looks much better with the words than without. This is probably the best version of it so far, but sadly, it doesn't really seem to be working out to the usual level of quality that most of your designs roll out. Just seems to fall a little flat. Probably just a bad city/idea, which is totally on me. I'm willing to call-it done here for now, unless someone has some better ideas on how to take this to the next level.

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Definitely looks much better with the words than without. This is probably the best version of it so far, but sadly, it doesn't really seem to be working out to the usual level of quality that most of your designs roll out. Just seems to fall a little flat. Probably just a bad city/idea, which is totally on me. I'm willing to call-it done here for now, unless someone has some better ideas on how to take this to the next level.

I dunno, I like the idea but I just think it needs a little refining.  I feel like some detail outlining the mining headframe might enhance it a little.  And I'm not satisfied with the arrangement of the letters/font yet either.  The colours are cool though and a porcupine is unique and about as northern as they come.  I think perhaps some detail on the porcupine could still improve it.

Sometimes these just take some time to evolve and i'm not ready to give up on this one just yet. But if you do have other ideas, hit me and we'll see if that can't help us narrow it down.

I also find the current way it's laid out with Gold Rush F.C. all on the bottom kinda hurts the symmetry.  I have a few ideas though.

Is there anything more you can tell me about the area?  I've never really been even anywhere near it honestly.

On 2017-06-30 at 2:14 AM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

ottawa idea.

Parliament Hill FC.png

I like any Ottawa crest that doesn't include the word "FURY", but I'd say it looks a little bare, especially in comparison to the current crest. I definitely like that you've kept the current theme with the shape, colours and the flame; I think the forced nickname is pretty much the only thing a lot of people have a problem with.

I also agree that the flame looks a little weird coming off the Peace Tower. I feel like it could maybe do without the Parliament Buildings in it at all to be honest, I think it might just work better if the flame was made bigger instead. Perhaps you could also try spelling out "Football Club" instead of just having "FC" and/or include an establishment date (2000) at the bottom as a way of using some of the empty space. I do appreciate the symbolism though, but I think the whole "torch" and "lighting the way" idea still works if it's just the flame.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I dunno, I like the idea but I just think it needs a little refining.  I feel like some detail outlining the mining headframe might enhance it a little.  And I'm not satisfied with the arrangement of the letters/font yet either.  The colours are cool though and a porcupine is unique and about as northern as they come.  I think perhaps some detail on the porcupine could still improve it.

Sometimes these just take some time to evolve and i'm not ready to give up on this one just yet. But if you do have other ideas, hit me and we'll see if that can't help us narrow it down.

I also find the current way it's laid out with Gold Rush F.C. all on the bottom kinda hurts the symmetry.  I have a few ideas though.

Is there anything more you can tell me about the area?  I've never really been even anywhere near it honestly.

The porcupine doesn't really have any meaning for the area. It's the original name of the settlement prior to the great fire. I've already gone over the Porcupine Gold Rush history, so I won't rehash that all again.

Beyond that, there really isn't too much to say about this city in decline. Geographically, prior to the amalgamation of the GTA, Timmins was the city with the largest land area. It also held the record for most bars per capita in Canada for a very long time (may still, not sure). The west-end is bisected by the Mattagami River. Beyond the mines & the river, there aren't really any good landmarks in the area.

The city is surrounded by a mostly coniferous forest, with Jack Pine and Black Spruce being most common. Poplar and Birch are the most common deciduous trees. Lots of exposed rock as a result of the glacial retreat. The city's climate is similar to places up to 100 km North of its location as a result of the air currents. Population is primarily of European descent, with about 1.2% visible minorities plus an additional 7.6% aboriginal. Racism between whites & aboriginals is very tangible in the area, so it is unlikely the team would show any aboriginal influences. Despite consistently voting for "progressive" parties, the people are incredibly conservative.

Not much else to say, but if something sparks for you, go for it.

A couple of thoughts.

First and foremost GuillermoDelQuart these are incredible.

There is a sports logos forum out there where someone made a similar set of shields and it's incredible how similar a lot of them end up being when you incorporate the city's flags. Which I think is brilliant btw. Should go over well with the fans.

I'm a little late to the party but if I could make some suggestions that I've taken not of over the 71 pages I've read through the last 2 nights. 

These are all pipe dreams that I've written in a crazed manifesto but I've been dreaming of these things for years. I have so much more written but I'll save it for later.

I think it should be important for the league to try to attract locally established businesses as sponsors and work with them in promoting each other. Players endorsing their products, and the teams incorporating sponsors products during in game promotions. Intrinsically these should all be kept in mind with the clubs kit designs especially when designing the branding of each franchise. For the record I have no insider knowledge about anything these too like the badges are fantasy.

Halifax- If you could incorporate green into the Chelsea inspired badge, perhaps in the lion (or not but a green lion would make for a phenomenal mascot) I think green would allow you to keep the tartan element for side panelling, or socks, or  sleeves or a third kit (which I think every team should have for cup match colour clashes). That sort of synergy might be enticing for a kit sponsor like Sobeys who are from the region and if you could market them the way that Safeway is marketed by the CFL. 

Calgary Foothills could have a green hooped third kit. Otherwise have you thought about using the stampeders colour pallet? You're already using a horse which even calls back to the CPSL Mustangs. They could just be Calgary Football Club much like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Hedjuk Split all have Basketball Teams. Nobody there seems to get confused by it. The Calgary team will probably end up being owned by CSE, since they own every other franchise in Calgary and would have a second tennant for MacMahon. Could you imagine if they sold naming rights to the Brick? Endless headlines and nicknames. Jersey sponsor SportCheck how many millions do they make off of cleats every year? Even Athletic Club of Calgary they do have a bunch of other clubs with the same owner....

Quebec City I would imagine should be Ville de Quebec as the locals would probably say it V's are also a very strong shape I'm dreaming about a permanent chevron on the chest to symbolize the "La Ville" which would be a great name for the Club. The badge could be a stylized Q. so basic but so different.

Hamilton I love the Hammer logos but the more simplistic ones work better for them IMO. Also how sharp would those kits look with a sponsor like Leon's furniture which is a local business partnered with the Boys and Girls Clubs. Tim Hortons is already sponsoring the stadium I don't know that they're gonna spend in BMO type rates. Again synergy blah blah blah. Third kit in McMaster Maroon (it even works with the yellow)

Burnaby- I love the last badge, but maybe it could be a crow. I get that the eagle is in the city's logo but when I lived in Burnaby the birds you notice most are the crows. They seem to sleep in an area not too far from Swangard, and as the sun sets huge "murders" of crows fill the sky. On top of that not only are they incredibly cleaver but they are vicious in their attack.  Black Home and Purple Away both with Yellow accents paying homage to the bc flag sun (mind you it rains so damn much in Burnaby. Almost every game the Caps last season at Swangard.)and the waves in the burnaby flag. and then the alternate 3rd kit could be red and yellow as an callback to the 86ers and TSS Rovers who played there before them but were not Vancouver Whitecaps FC (TM) They would need to be sponsored by a beer company like 49th Parallel how the 86ers had a great relationship with Labatt's through Sam Lenerduzzi. Anyone who's says they see eagles all the time in Burnaby is either a liar or an ornithologist. If you want to see eagles go to the Ladner Dump.

Mississauga - The wings coming out of the sprocket with the sigma in the middle all on its on would be incredible. Keep the orange it creates an awesome contrast and orange shows up so rarely in the Canadian Sports Pallet. And a deadly option for a alternate kit. Tangerine or Shaw as a sponsor. I'm salivating.  Side note they also need a stadium somewhere in city centre with a convention centre overlooking the one pitch in one corner where the national coaching convention and other sport similar events could be held. Could be rented out for awards shows for the league. I heard a rumour that there might be land in city centre where a certain entertainment venue adjacent to a bus terminal has it's lease ending soon. The city just agreed to buy a bunch of houses to create park land in Cooksville so it would strike me they are not averse to such ideas as purchasing land for legacy projects. Side side note every soccer specific stadium needs to have a brew pub or restaurant. Having a fully functioning kitchen would make catering to the private boxes and press boxes easy. 

Edmonton if not owned by FATH and FC Edmonton I think Green and Yellow would be a no brainer. The Eskimos and U of A are green and gold. You might not sell a ton of mech to start but at least you'll create a sense familiarity. Use a bear the Eskimos have a Polar Bear, and UofA are the Golden Bears and Pandas. Even the beige you've been trying with calgary instead with edmontons green. I was driving through the country the other day and it just struck me what a gorgeous combo the trees make against the wheat. 

Moncton High Tides Mud City blew my mind. Mud Brown Third Kit.

Regina - I take this right from the first line of their wiki. Though the link is dead. "The team was founded as the Regina Rugby Club on Tuesday, September 13, 1910, adopting the colours of old gold and purple" What a humdinger of a  cup kit. Agrium/Potash or Mosaic even though they already sponsor the stadium.

I need to get to bed just spit balling though. Hope I didn't piss anyone off.

Guillermo, just wanted to update you on this, but I got my CPL logo (my avatar) into Paul Beirne's hands, and he said it was "too predictable". Which is fair. I mean it is a soccer ball made out of maple leafs haha. 

So any futher CPL logos you create you might want to keep that in mind. I feel like a rockstar getting that logo into his hands though haha. 

5 hours ago, Xavier said:

Guillermo, just wanted to update you on this, but I got my CPL logo (my avatar) into Paul Beirne's hands, and he said it was "too predictable". Which is fair. I mean it is a soccer ball made out of maple leafs haha. 

So any futher CPL logos you create you might want to keep that in mind. I feel like a rockstar getting that logo into his hands though haha. 

That's a shame, I really liked it. I thought it was clean and to the point. 

6 hours ago, Xavier said:

I get where he's coming from, but too bad. I really liked your logo. 

6 hours ago, Xavier said:

I loved the logo. It remains to be seen of course what they will use but there was a naivety to that comment. I think it's recognizable, for marketing purposes that's great!

8 hours ago, Xavier said:

wow, how did you manage that?  I liked yours as well, honestly part of me thought they would go with it or something similar.  

Personally I really like the one I've got, hence why I've kept it as my avatar so long, but it hasn't been well received by absolutely everybody(what is though, really?).

I guess it's kinda predictable as well, although I think the antlers is slightly less on the predictable side... the reasoning being that there actually aren't maples in all of canada(they are mostly in southern canada) whereas there are actually moose in every single province/territory to some extent.

Who know's what'll happen though.  I'm trying not to get my hopes too high and just do as much good work as I can.

3 hours ago, zen said:

I loved the logo. It remains to be seen of course what they will use but there was a naivety to that comment. I think it's recognizable, for marketing purposes that's great!

I honestly agree. You see it and you think: Canadian soccer. 

It's not up to us.

Archived