3 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

@Macksam just gonna pull you into this thread for a few posts if thats okay.  No need for us to fill up the main thread

is this too much?

Surrey Blades FC.png

Guys that's a religious symbol, not sure how Sikhs would take that...

They may not be as open about using it in the same way that we use crosses. Should probably ask someone that's Sikh.

However, it would also alienate other supporters.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, zen said:

Guys that's a religious symbol, not sure how Sikh's would take that...

They may not be as open about using it in that way as we use crosses. Should probably ask someone that's Sikh.

However, it would also alienate other supporters.

apparently macksam is sikh, was his idea.  Although I do think I should make it a fair bit different from that symbol.

16 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

The moment you include any kind of religious or ethnic symbolism, someone is going to find it offensive.

Yeah, without wading into the complicated landscape of cultural appropriation and religious vs secular, it is probably safe to steer clear of any of that sort of symbolism.  I am reasonably progressive, and even I am startled at the capacity to generate offense and strong reactions in some seemingly benign and well-intentioned discussions.  With something like this, I would give it a pretty wide berth.

On June 20, 2017 at 9:36 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

@Macksam just gonna pull you into this thread for a few posts if thats okay.  No need for us to fill up the main thread

is this too much?

Surrey Blades FC.png

While I admit it looks cool, I think it looks too close to the actual symbol, which not everyone will like. I think of you take the Sabres from the picture below and utilize them in place of the daggers above, it will look like something that can be consumed by the masses, a true winner.

39 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

is this getting anywhere?  

maybe instead of doing two crossed blades I could turn the moon into a single blade... that might avoid the similarity to the religious symbol while still keeping the essence of it.

Surrey Blades FC.png

Moon is Islamic, nothing to do with us. A significant part of our history has to do with fighting back and defeating Islamic expansion into India. If you're referring to the actual circle, it's a chakkar, a bladed frisbee like weapon, funny and terrifying at the same time really. 

I know these are not anything official and are really just thought-experiments, but I still think you are asking for trouble going anywhere in this direction of cultural/religious symbolism.  As much as I love Canada's diversity, that is not a universal opinion, and I think the potential of something like this to be misused by opposing supporters (even small groups of them), general detractors, etc is too high to justify it.   If you want to make regionally specific references, nods to local historical events, or even draw from local geography/landmarks, its all good. But as soon as you move into specific cultural/religious symbolism I think you are on pretty shaky ground. 

These would all be great logos for a Khalsa team, of which there are many.   But I can't see using it for regional team unless there was some direct connection to the owners 'cause that is what they want to make. 

9 hours ago, Macksam said:

While I admit it looks cool, I think it looks too close to the actual symbol, which not everyone will like. I think of you take the Sabres from the picture below and utilize them in place of the daggers above, it will look like something that can be consumed by the masses, a true winner.

Moon is Islamic, nothing to do with us. A significant part of our history has to do with fighting back and defeating Islamic expansion into India. If you're referring to the actual circle, it's a chakkar, a bladed frisbee like weapon, funny and terrifying at the same time really. 

hmm.  It's a shame really that the moon looks islamic, I dunno why but the idea of nightlife and a moon just seems to fit for me for surrey, and I keep coming back to it.

most of this will unfortunately be scrapped, but I do think we've stubbled upon the correct colour scheme, if nothing else, which is a small victory.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know these are not anything official and are really just thought-experiments, but I still think you are asking for trouble going anywhere in this direction of cultural/religious symbolism.  As much as I love Canada's diversity, that is not a universal opinion, and I think the potential of something like this to be misused by opposing supporters (even small groups of them), general detractors, etc is too high to justify it.   If you want to make regionally specific references, nods to local historical events, or even draw from local geography/landmarks, its all good. But as soon as you move into specific cultural/religious symbolism I think you are on pretty shaky ground. 

I know.  Like you said, they're thought experiments, and I've found that starting somewhere that's not gonna work is better than starting no where at all.  Even going down a road from which you're going to turn around is better than sitting still sometimes.

Macksam mentioned the colour scheme, which I think is still safe to use, and the idea of surrey being sort of trouble makers, and potentially having crossed swords or something akin to the oakland raiders logo, which I'll now be using as sort of a rough guideline of where I want to get, but I agree it still plays off the religious symbolism too much.

Still, in the distilling process, I'm further along than I was a week ago.  We've had other ideas that started off worse than this and ended up solid.

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

hmm.  It's a shame really that the moon looks islamic, I dunno why but the idea of nightlife and a moon just seems to fit for me for surrey, and I keep coming back to it.

most of this will unfortunately be scrapped, but I do think we've stubbled upon the correct colour scheme, if nothing else, which is a small victory.

I know.  Like you said, they're thought experiments, and I've found that starting somewhere that's not gonna work is better than starting no where at all.  Even going down a road from which you're going to turn around is better than sitting still sometimes.

Macksam mentioned the colour scheme, which I think is still safe to use, and the idea of surrey being sort of trouble makers, and potentially having crossed swords or something akin to the oakland raiders logo, which I'll now be using as sort of a rough guideline of where I want to get, but I agree it still plays off the religious symbolism too much.

Still, in the distilling process, I'm further along than I was a week ago.  We've had other ideas that started off worse than this and ended up solid.

Yeah, having the colour scheme nailed down is a victory. It was always going to be tricky trying to make the actual symbol work.

19 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

It needs something (I don't know what) to clarify the perspective.

My first thought was that I'm looking down at a pair of ruffle pants.

haha, yea you're right.  The image it's from was looking up at the towers, but everything else in the image is straight on, so it kinda looks odd.

14 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

haha, yea you're right.  The image it's from was looking up at the towers, but everything else in the image is straight on, so it kinda looks odd.

I had no idea Mississauga had these buildings, and I suspect I am not alone in that for people who are outside the GTA - thus I think a logo like this will always seem pretty random to people.  

19 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Surrey Blades FC.jpg

I like both of these. The one on the left I enjoy because it's a complete logo, without being forced into a shield. It's also a more unique blade than we tend to see in most images, and the hatchet is a perfect contrast. Only thing I wonder is how the thin-line on the blade would come look stitched or heat-pressed. Almost feels like it would get lost in the fabric.

The one on the right is also very nice. I think it's a nice blend of images, though I do question that flag on the top. Is there a significance to that?

Someone else joked that it didn't feel bad drug deal enough, but I think they're just ignoring how you dump the chopped up bodies in the river. You've the hatchet for chopping, rivers for dumping. What more could you want?

17 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

mississauga concept

Mississauga FC.png

I really like this. Mississuaga doesn't exactly have anything iconic to start with, so using those two towers is a good choice IMO. I'm alright with it not being straight-on, as it fits with the quirkiness of the towers themselves. I also like that you've bumped out the top of the shield. It's a neat shape that isn't used quite as often.

1 hour ago, zen said:

How about something more abstract for Mississauga? Like this:

SMFC.png

thats a cool little concept you've got there.

I'm now working with @Sauga City Collective to try and refine things.

Perhaps between the four of us we can settle on something?

still a work in progress but here's where we left off( and I'm just in the process of adding a city scape behind the towers, as well as possibly city hall, although that might be too busy, we'll see)

SAUGACITYRISING.png

Archived