• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Blackdude said:

Yes, before, they looked like two whites with a bit of blue. Now, there is a blue kit and a white kit.

nice,  yea.  haha originally the shoulders were white as well and it was even worse, just wanted to find a way to do the cross and keep the away kit which might be my favourite i've done so far haha.  

thanks for the input :)

colours are german flag(aside from the river)

checker pattern based on the area being mostly farmland, and sort of german oktoberfest iconography.

don't normally use that font, but thought with the mennonite presence it(or something a little toned down but similar) might be warranted.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Grand River.png

geuss I should mention, for those not in the know, it's for Grand River, hence the GR

20 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

That there is not just a protest flag, it's a Mohawk flag. 

That said, would make perfect sense to pay homage to the Mohawk people of the Grand River area out of respect (obviously not in the way done by a number of sports teams...)

true enough, but I think the colours are probably more than enough.  I don't want to touch that whole subject with a ten foot pole if I have a choice.

10 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

true enough, but I think the colours are probably more than enough.  I don't want to touch that whole subject with a ten foot pole if I have a choice.

A wise choice I would say, as a transplanted West Coast Mohawk.  Just so's you know, there are two flags and they represent quite different groups/attitudes/approaches.  The one above is the Warrior Society flag.  There is also the Iroquois Confederacy flag, which is based on the two-row wampum and the five original nations:

Image result for iroquois flag

19 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

If I were to choose colours I would go the two row wampum route. We have been trying with ideas around the two row. But native members of our group generally feel like including the two row should come with significant training on what it means and it's history.

Would it be better to stay away from it then? I have zero problem with giving a nod or celebrating aboriginal roots of the area, but I worry that a group that is mostly white guys (at least in the fb group at this point) trotting around with a logo with aboriginal ties and is named Grand River, a name shared by a nearby reserve, could easily be interpreted as offensive/cultural appropriation by some.

At this point, it is a campaign for a club, and campaigns do best when they are apolitical about everything that isn't directly related to the campaign's goal, so they don't turn off anyone who would have otherwise supported it.

13 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

just small tweaks.  

thickened yellow lines on border, upped contrast slightly on reds, removed border from fist, slightly darker river.

fairly sure better of the two

GRU.png

I actually really like the new version, but I worry that it does look a bit aggressive in red. Again, since Grand River Union is pretty much a campaign for a team, anything that could be misinterpreted as aggressive and related to hooliganism might detract from it. I think this colour scheme would be great if eventually a team emerges and the group wants to change things up at that time.

Again, just my opinion. I believe a vote on the logo will take place on the 10th, so all this can be discussed then

33 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

If I were to choose colours I would go the two row wampum route. We have been trying with ideas around the two row. But native members of our group generally feel like including the two row should come with significant training on what it means and it's history.

That makes a lot of sense. If elements are to be incorporated it should be in full consultation and approval from the community. We wouldn't want to engage in appropriation.

Archived