7 hours ago, zen said:

I'm not too sure about any of these. I dont believe the KWC area is going to have more than 1 CPL team for a long time. Why restrict the name to a part of the population. Give the team a name that everyone can get behind.

Im not sure what is wrong with Grand River. There is currently a club that runs various leagues none as Grand River Soccer Club. Im not a huge fan of the logo (sorry sultan) but I think its a great name that encompasses the whole of waterloo region. Here is their logo.1463015_609613729095732_820715732_n.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, dpalmer said:

I have always loved the old atlanta chiefs logo which a club (who is owned by former atlanta chief Kaizer Motaung) Kaizer Chiefs has a similar logo. So I not sure yet as to what city, but I was leaning towards maybe a Manitoba Chiefs or maybe a club in Regina. Depends I guess on how large of a league it becomes. Winnipeg definitely will have a team at the beginning, Regina could one day. ManitobaChiefsLarge.png

Was wondering when we would have the Winnipeg discussion.  Let's officially do that one next.  Any other ideas anyone?  Can start with Manitoba cheifs but it does seem like a touchy subject still with the whole first nation angle.  On one hand its tempting to try to acknowledge a clear part of the history but the other hand wants to slap myself for even going near the first nation angle.  

Idk, any other ideas?  

44 minutes ago, dpalmer said:

Im not sure what is wrong with Grand River. There is currently a club that runs various leagues none as Grand River Soccer Club. Im not a huge fan of the logo (sorry sultan) but I think its a great name that encompasses the whole of waterloo region. Here is their logo.1463015_609613729095732_820715732_n.jpg

I got the impression that it was just a little controversial.  I feel safer not offending anyone than taking the risk unnecessarily.  

Still, if that ends up being consensus, its hard to ignore.  Seems like tricity is most popular with grand river being second.  

Just now, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I got the impression that it was just a little controversial.  I feel safer not offending anyone than taking the risk unnecessarily.  

Still, if that ends up being consensus, its hard to ignore.  Seems like tricity is most popular with grand river being second.  

Whats controversial with Grand River?

4 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Was wondering when we would have the Winnipeg discussion.  Let's officially do that one next.  Any other ideas anyone?  Can start with Manitoba cheifs but it does seem like a touchy subject still with the whole first nation angle.  On one hand its tempting to try to acknowledge a clear part of the history but the other hand wants to slap myself for even going near the first nation angle.  

Idk, any other ideas?  

Yeah thats true. I guess a few teams are going away from the first nations as names as sports clubs. I am not first nations so I cant speak for anybody apart of the first nations but I think that perhaps if its not a racial slur, like the washington team in the nfl, and is respectful of the first nations then I think its not only fine but something to be proud of. If there was a team named after premature balding pale white guys then I think I would support that team even if it was in another province

3 hours ago, dpalmer said:

Yeah thats true. I guess a few teams are going away from the first nations as names as sports clubs. I am not first nations so I cant speak for anybody apart of the first nations but I think that perhaps if its not a racial slur, like the washington team in the nfl, and is respectful of the first nations then I think its not only fine but something to be proud of. If there was a team named after premature balding pale white guys then I think I would support that team even if it was in another province

I'm friends with a few and I get kinda mixed signals.  My friends generally seem cool with it, but they've also pretty well assimilated into mainstream Canadian culture, so perhaps this is why.  I've certainly heard a few people talking about how it's offensive on the radio, but I do get the sense this is a loud but vocal minority.  Still, even if it's not most people, why risk it.  The only way I see it as really working out is if it was the idea of the local FN people in said city.  That's really the only way you can do it.  And since I'm white, (and I imagine a solid majority of this forum is) it seems better just to avoid it.

Edit: but then again... the blackhawks logo. :P

"History: Winnipeg derives its name from the Cree word of “win” for muddy and “nippee” for water. An aboriginal trading centre prior to the arrival of the Europeans, Winnipeg was at the heart of the country’s fur trade and instrumental in developing Canada’s gateway to the west. The first permanent settlement occurred in 1812 when a group of Scottish crofters arrived and it became a trading post for the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1870. Winnipeg was incorporated as a city in 1873 with a population of 1,869. The city saw a 30 year period of growth and prosperity with the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885. Winnipeg became a financial centre in Western Canada thanks to a flood of immigrants, high wheat prices and improved farming techniques. "

Muddy Waters FC :P

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Some sort of fur trader symbolism?  A dreamcatcher?  I guess thats still to FN probably.  

A steel trap?  This is hard.

Maybe you can use the Melbourne crest as a base for this one.. and the hudson bay company colours for the palette. I tried playing around with it in paint but I'm no where as proficient as you are with this kind of stuff lol

idk what happened to the pic..i'll repost the image

34 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Seems like a good place as any to start.  Also, can we scratch doneil henry? 

Check this out. The name needs changing, the animals and the crown need refining, and the sail ship probably could be changed. But not bad for someone with no graphic design skills eh? haha

win3.png

2 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

not bad at all :P

what do you guys think of this?  HrbWg91.png

Do you think you could refine what I was working with? if you don't mind

It's pretty cool, tbh though I think it's time for a redesign.

On 29 March, 2016 at 6:23 AM, zen said:

I'm not too sure about any of these. I dont believe the KWC area is going to have more than 1 CPL team for a long time. Why restrict the name to a part of the population. Give the team a name that everyone can get behind.

If Kitchener has a team called Berlin Jelly Doughnuts, surely there's a possibility of Waterloo and Cambridge having teams as well.

On 30 March, 2016 at 9:03 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

not bad at all :P

what do you guys think of this?  HrbWg91.png

Much better than the current crest, but I'd much prefer the thing you did earlier in this thread for the CPL (but without CPL written across it) as the crest, which I believe I mentioned at the time, but knowing me I might just think I mentioned it.   …or maybe the whole thing was my imagination.  Wait till you're my age, sonny.

19 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

In Waterloo the rep soccer teams go by Waterloo United.  To be honest, it's a good option for Waterloo.

waterloo.png

Unless they own the CPL team or vice-versa, there is very little chance of that.

Also, I'm not from the KWC area but there's more than one youth club in the area, I've played against the club you mentioned and the PCC Supersonic's, there are probably more that I haven't played against or know about. 

I think that L1O hasn't done enough to promote a unified pathway for players, and I don't want to see the CPL make the same mistake. I think CPL teams affiliating themselves with one club can have the effect of alienating the others, as witnessed by the TFC Club Affiliate Program causing divisions in the GTA. I've always thought there needs to be greater co-operation among youth clubs for the benefit of players, either through partnerships between clubs to enter leagues, or through clubs in an area building relationships with clubs higher in the pyramid. I'd rather see CPL clubs develop their own brands and academies, while building a network through relationships with all local clubs in the area.

18 hours ago, Pqhbv said:

The regional municipality that encompasses K,W & C is called Waterloo. I think Waterloo United fits the bill.

It's just that there have been some concerns that it may alienate fans from Cambridge or Kitchener.

1 hour ago, zen said:

It's just that there have been some concerns that it may alienate fans from Cambridge or Kitchener.

yep.  also sorry, I was gonna try your crest but got swamped.  

KWC isn't glamorous, but personally I'd have a bit of a chapped ass if I was from Kitchener or Cambridge and it was called Waterloo, regardless of the regionally thing, but maybe thats just me.  

16 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

yep.  also sorry, I was gonna try your crest but got swamped.  

KWC isn't glamorous, but personally I'd have a bit of a chapped ass if I was from Kitchener or Cambridge and it was called Waterloo, regardless of the regionally thing, but maybe thats just me.  

that's cool, whenever you  have the time really. we all have lives outside this site haha

Archived